Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brentwood vs. Wyandanch, which is worse?
Brentwood 5 22.73%
Wyandanch 8 36.36%
It's a tie 8 36.36%
Other - post answer below 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inception937 View Post
which is worse?
Like comparing Sodom with Gomorrah, you choose between evils.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
But there's a difference between Hispanic Whites and non-Hispanic Whites.
To elaborate on what I said, I was talking about skin color. For instance, I'm Hispanic and relatively light-skinned, but I'm still darker than most people of European descent.

By the way, is there any way to change my vote in the poll? I accidentally picked Brentwood because I forgot the question was asking which was worse.

So as of now, there are 21 votes. The breakdown is as follows:
5 Brentwood
7 Wyandanch
8 Tie
1 Other

It should read (because I mistakenly voted for Brentwood):
4 Brentwood
8 Wyandanch
8 Tie
1 Other

Old 11-12-2011, 03:06 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
To elaborate on what I said, I was talking about skin color. For instance, I'm Hispanic and relatively light-skinned, but I'm still darker than most people of European descent.

By the way, is there any way to change my vote in the poll? I accidentally picked Brentwood because I forgot the question was asking which was worse.

So as of now, there are 21 votes. The breakdown is as follows:
5 Brentwood
7 Wyandanch
8 Tie
1 Other

It should read (because I mistakenly voted for Brentwood):
4 Brentwood
8 Wyandanch
8 Tie
1 Other
I got confused and did the same thing, so there should really only be 3 votes in favor of Brentwood being worse.

IMO Wyandanch is on a level of crappiness all it's own for Long Island. I'm not intensely familiar with these two places, but I can't get past the fact that when you drive around "the 'danch" it looks like it could fill in for the setting of a southern rap video...

Check out the scenery in the clip below... if you took out the low-rise housing projects, it looks exactly like Wyandanch:

Juvenile Ha - YouTube

I know looks aren't everything, but they're at least something.

If that town has a "nice" part, I've never seen it. I've only seen blocks that could be considered slightly less sh*tty.

Brentwood can be pretty rough too, but there are at least quite a few sections that look (more or less) exactly like lots of other decent places in Suffolk. Seems like it gets a lot nicer as you go further north... in fact some of the crummy parts I associate with it may actually be in North Bay Shore, I'm not really sure.

Can somebody point me to the school stats for these two places? I find it very hard to believe that Brentwood performs worse than Wyandanch academically, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:23 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I got confused and did the same thing, so there should really only be 3 votes in favor of Brentwood being worse.

IMO Wyandanch is on a level of crappiness all it's own for Long Island. I'm not intensely familiar with these two places, but I can't get past the fact that when you drive around "the 'danch" it looks like it could fill in for the setting of a southern rap video...

Check out the scenery in the clip below... if you took out the low-rise housing projects, it looks exactly like Wyandanch:

Juvenile Ha - YouTube

I know looks aren't everything, but they're at least something.

If that town has a "nice" part, I've never seen it. I've only seen blocks that could be considered slightly less sh*tty.

Brentwood can be pretty rough too, but there are at least quite a few sections that look (more or less) exactly like lots of other decent places in Suffolk. Seems like it gets a lot nicer as you go further north... in fact some of the crummy parts I associate with it may actually be in North Bay Shore, I'm not really sure.

Can somebody point me to the school stats for these two places? I find it very hard to believe that Brentwood performs worse than Wyandanch academically, but I guess stranger things have happened.
LOL, comparing the setting of that video to Wyandanch is over-exaggerating it!

Brentwood does not perform worse than Wyandanch but it is fairly close. Brentwood's school district has a rating of 4/10 while Wyandanch has a rating of 3/10 according to Greatschools. (I personally consider a 7/10 or more to be acceptable)

Stats for Brentwood- Brentwood Union Free School District in Brentwood, NY | GreatSchools
Stats for Wyandanch- Wyandanch Union Free School District in Wyandanch, NY | GreatSchools

If you want another tool to help measure School District quality, check out the graduation/drop-out rates- Graduation rates for LI school districts

Old 11-12-2011, 03:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
The graduation rates are also available here:
Test Scores for Wyandanch Union Free School District | GreatSchools
Test Scores for Brentwood Union Free School District | GreatSchools

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

Out of curiosity, I checked my school's graduation rate, and it was on par with Brentwood's (68%): Student Teacher Ratio Port Richmond High School - Staten Island, New York - NY

Fortunately, most of my classes are Honors classes, so I'm placed with students who actually want to learn, so the gradutation rate for my specific program is probably close to 100%.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:53 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Thread closed for mod review.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island