Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 AM

246 posts, read 471,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingobah View Post
I call them spider crickets or sprickets. I used to find a few everyday in my basement apartment. I realized they were coming from behind the walls through the spacing around the pipes for the baseboard heaters. I put steel wool around all the pipes & other openings I could find. I also used Ortho Home Defense to spray along the inside & outside perimeters of any gaps I could see along the floor. I only had to spray twice a year & the only sprickets I find are dying or dead ones. These things are harmless but freaky!! EEK!

I've got them, less now. Had a drain pipe backflow into the basement wall and in that area of moisture seemed to be where they came in.

Since then, I've placed glue traps all over the place. The two cats are on the prowl as well and I've used HOME Defense. As stated above, the ones I find now tend to be dying or devitalized.

I have to take the time to seal around pipes and crevices and see how that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 07:24 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,365,770 times
I paid an exterminator last September. He sprayed outside and all along the inside of the basement. They were gone for a full year. I have only seen one or two return this year. Best money I ever spent they are, virtually, gone. I put down the glue traps and there are three in them. Before he came, there were hundreds of them jumping all over the place and those glue traps were completely full. I couldn't live like that anymore.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,268,294 times
I almost had a heart attack when I found one in my bathroom late at night last week. My guess they are desperate about the onset of winter so they come into people's houses because of the cold outside. Anyway, while I usually catch and release regular crickets (and spiders), but these disgusting buggers go right down the toilet.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:00 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,248,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
two words - glue traps.
Yup. Usually they show up with the first cold snap in the fall. We finished our small basement which seemed to minimize them but the glue traps are a good way to keep whatever is left under control.

They might be the nastiest thing alive that you can find in your home. The way they hop, sideways, with the antennas and weird legs. GROSS!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:07 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,897,251 times
Found some real small ones last night in the basement... the size of a typical spider. More glue traps incoming. I wonder where all the big ones went.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,741,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Found some real small ones last night in the basement... the size of a typical spider. More glue traps incoming. I wonder where all the big ones went.
They've found my basement and seem to like jumping out of the dirty laundry pile as I load the washer. Hope they enjoy the spin cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Old 12-09-2013, 07:54 AM

344 posts, read 718,348 times

Old 12-09-2013, 12:08 PM

122 posts, read 267,256 times
The coast is clear for me for now. Maybe it has to due with me sealing off some spots where they might be coming from but from what I've read they love moisture and right now the humidity in my basement is very low.

Definitely have to invest in a good dehumidifier when the time comes and lots of glue traps.

I'm really enjoying not having to be startled by them when walking in the basement.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:53 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,809,602 times
when they die, others carry the bodies away. for what? i dont know.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:00 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,897,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
when they die, others carry the bodies away. for what? i dont know.
food probably. I left one dead (sprayed RAID on it) on the floor and over a few days pieces were left behind and eventually completely gone.

This may also be why they will come to the glue traps. They see one there for a while and decide it's time for dinner.

Hope nobody's eating as they read this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island