Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
In conclusion:

-Teacher and cop salaries are not the problem as much as the administrator salaries which can be $400K, we can save on tax dollars by cutting administrators and combining school districts, particularly small school districts

-
Gotta stop you there. While I completely agree that admin salaries should be cut on principal alone, they will have very negligible effect on taxes. So, the rank and file cop and teacher salaries ARE a big part of the problem.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy Q Yankee View Post
Technically? Almost any. It's a law. You just might not get paid.

(In order to be eligible to take leave under the FMLA, an employee must (1) work for a covered employer, (2) work 1,250 hours during the 12 months prior to the start of leave, (3) work at a location where 50 or more employees work at that location or within 75 miles of it, and (4) have worked for the employer for 12 months).

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Family and Medical Leave Act (http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/ - broken link)

"The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave. Eligible employees are entitled to:
  • Twelve workweeks of leave in a 12-month period for:
    • the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth;
    • the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement;
    • to care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition;
    • a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job;
    • any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is a covered military member on “covered active duty;” or
  • Twenty-six workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for a covered servicemember with a serious injury or illness if the eligible employee is the servicemember’s spouse, son, daughter, parent, or next of kin (military caregiver leave). "

12 work weeks for the birth of a child.

Many teachers contracts offer a whole year of unpaid leave, in some cases for non medical reasons.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 AM

155 posts, read 426,238 times
Let's not all forget about pension obligations and how they relate to the tax issue!!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Heaven View Post
In our family there are two teachers both who have been teaching for 15 to 20 years. Neither one of them makes anywhere near $140k. They both barely make over $100k and one of them also coaches sports teams. They both have their masters plus and work districts on Long Island. I also have a close friend teaching and coaching in Suffolk for over 6 years and she makes under $75k with a masters plus.
I think there is a severe generalization of what teachers incomes are on Long Island and how much they pay into there medical/retirement benefits. It all depends on their tier, their district and if they coach, teach in late afternoon programs, provide supervision after school, ect.
100K for 181 days of work? That is substantial, considering it allows for extra time to work another job or do other things that the private taxpayer does not have. I'm not saying their masters degree is not worth something, however these numbers are not being viewed in the context they should be.

$100K for 181 days, last I looked there were 365 days in the calendar, adjusted for lets say a generous vacation schedule of 4 weeks and about 11 paid holidays similar to a private sector worker, they have all that extra free time to take another job or do what ever, all that freedom plus compensation borne on the backs of private taxpayers - the municipal workers had better wake up, because the sleeping giant HAS.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 AM

239 posts, read 509,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The argument about housing prices in LI is separate from property taxes.

Housing prices are high because there is not much land left to build and the city will alway be a draw due to higher paying jobs. This will keep the market inflated beyond most other metro areas..although to the extent it was in 2006 or so, not that high.

Property taxes are high because a small group of public workers have a very high level of compensation relative to the people they serve. The only way these 2 things are linked is as a justification for the high salaries.."housing prices are high so we have to pay them a lot..". I agree that cops and teachers should make more here than they do in bumblerock Alabama, but as in everything else, it's a question of degree.
It's true that LI housing market will be inflated because of its proximity to NYC for good jobs and a diverse economy. However, it also seems that the people who never lived anywhere else or traveled much are not willing to leave LI for various reasons. People don't realize that there are other parts of the country that have a much lower COL, just as good and if not better quality of life IMO. I mean does every Long Island resident who becomes a doctor, nurse, teacher, firefighter, have to stay and work on Long Island. There's jobs for those professions all over the country, and it some regions they're in higher demand in other areas than Long Island.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
JC, that's a really good point. There is a dearth of affordable housing for young workers on LI. I have always hoped the old K-Mart/Borders Books building in Levittown would be converted into some type of apartment complex aimed at young workers. The young can't live on their own and save at the same time.

Nope, they can't. And so they do what I did in the late 80s, and what my niece--a teacher--did: They move away.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:45 AM

239 posts, read 509,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Nope, they can't. And so they do what I did in the late 80s, and what my niece--a teacher--did: They move away.
Seriously, if Long Island can't produce affordable apartment housing for young adults then they'll only have the baby boomer generation residing. Especially since many other up-and-coming parts of the country (e.g. Texas, Orlando, Seattle) have more affordable housing and just as good growing economies for young people.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:45 AM

37 posts, read 59,830 times
[quote=Yzette;23210602]Trying to create change is one thing. Sitting around Moderator cut: crude moaning on the computer without so much as writing to Albany or showing up at a demonstration outside the County Executive's office is something else entirely. Not saying that is what you do, Mongoose. But that the argument often bandied about on here that posting on City-Data creates change because Google searches lead people here is ridiculous. I doubt Ed Mangano or his staff visit here, and anyone else who comes here through a Google search would be well-advised of the fact that this is an anonymous message board, it's the same handful of people complaining for years on end, and there is such a thing as proxies, which means that for all anyone can prove, some of those people could have multiple accounts. Stranger things have happened, recently, to boot. Body counts will always mean more than anonymous rantings on a message board.

That said, regardless of whether I agree with anyone's stand on anything, if you're putting your money where your mouth is, showing up in person, and organizing, good on ya. I can respect that."

Posting on this message board could be causing change. How does one measure it ? I read the WSJ every day. I get more out of the thoughtful comments to articles than from the article itself. Those comments have aided me in becoming a much more informed individual/citizen. Let's not forget that many of the Arab Springs and including the Iranian uprising used the Internet to communicate. The terrorist use it extensively, e.g. Anwar al-Awlaki, the Amercian born terrorist (dead).

Take away the Internet or control it extensively, and our guns and we all lose a lot of freedoms.

Last edited by Kimballette; 03-01-2012 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Heaven View Post
I have seen their W2s, we also have had conversations between friends/family similar to the ones on here where everyone thinks they make $$$$. So they are always first to show off their proof of millions, lol!
Also on see through NY the teachers salaries are not correct as shown. Ask any teacher if their w2 matches that web sight, I doubt it.

Box 2 of the W-2 will never correspond to gross wages, it shows wages net of any pre-tax deductions like 403b contributions, health insurance, transit expense. Take a look at the box that says Medicare wage income - that will show true wages earned because tax is extended on all earned wage income with no limit.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 AM

155 posts, read 426,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Seriously, if Long Island can't produce affordable apartment housing for young adults then they'll only have the baby boomer generation residing.

I am currently selling a house in Nassau in the lowest 20% range of prices in the town, and I think only 1 person who was under 30 came to look at the house. Everyone else was at least 40-45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island