Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 05:47 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times

Advertisements

Cleanmaxx Brian:

Quote:
My kids want to move.
I want to move!
Do It! Good Luck.

Try checking out the area around Gettysburg, PA in Adams County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 05:53 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
Cleanmaxx Brian:

Quote:
Here is a bit more food for thought regarding my situation...her family:
Mom is retired and lives on a fixed income. Loves to spend however.
Brother 1 has a good job and retires in 6 years. Says he can't afford to stay on LI so he will move then.
Brother 2 has worked off the books most of his life and will be out of work soon due to health issues. (Brother 1 to carry his load when that happens...soon)
Sister 1 is also out of work due to health reasons. She has NO income and has filed for bankruptcy and has since charged up credit cards. Mother helps pay them and again brother 1 keeps the roof over head.

All of these people are in their 50's and live at home. Close knit? You tell me!
Why don't you all move together to PA. You get your place first and the rest of them can join you in about 6 years. They can buy a place nearby if not next door. The lower cost of living in PA would be good for them and having her family nearby will make
your life easier.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:21 PM

690 posts, read 1,015,628 times
Thank you for your reply, lots of good information there
We have been staying at Willow Valley for the past 3 years now and each time we visit, we think about living there. Yes we will check out the Walmart...was already on my list. We have already done some food shopping and it can tell you similar things about the people. We have not tried this in Lititz or Penn Manor yet but we plan to.
Yup, I agree 100% when it comes to the city. We noticed the same thing however other than the Hospital, there is not much of a need to go there. We are not city type of people...heck, I haven't been to NYC in...wow! 16 years! (I had to really think about that one!) I have driven through it of course...it gives me a headache thinking about it.

Thanks again,
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I've looked at Lancaster County for the past 2 years. Beautiful area, few well paying jobs except for healthcare. Your wife should have no problems getting employment.
Due to the the area of Lancaster being an estuary for the Chesapeake Bay, there are some building techniques and soil conservation techniques used in new developments that scare me. First of all, northern Lancaster county is basically limestone under the soil. Due to soil conservation needs, all water run off from roads are buried via large pipes directly into the ground. Acid rain plus limestone equals sink holes. Ephrata has had some especially in the Charity Gardens area. The realtors are very quiet about it. I only found out about it on page 26 of a google search. Make sure you get a good, independent engineer and some one with a specialty in soil settling.

Homeschooling is quite common in the area, so you should have no problems in that regard. Talking to people who live in the area, they admit they can be a little aloof, but that is just the way the are. Don't take it personally.

Lancaster City itself is pretty seedy in some areas. When we go to Willow valley and pass thru Lancaster City, the transition from City to Willow street area is like the change from Kansas to Oz. However, the area where it changes is steadily creeping further and further away from the city as its sprawl continues to grow.

As more people from NYC continue to move to Lancaster City, even more public transportation will become available. There is an Amtrak station there already. To cut some driving time some people take 222 up to Reading then 78 back to NY instaed of PA turnpike to NJ turnpike.

Vist often over the next few months especially concentrating on meeeting the people of the area. Go to Walmart, and see who lives/shops in the town You'll learn more about an area in 10 minutes in Walmart then in any other way!

Old 09-16-2007, 02:09 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,697,470 times
Default Lancaster PA

When we have asked about info on Lancaster many New Yorkers who now live there claim that many of the locals do not like New Yorkers at all, and they make it known bigtime, now thats just what i was told. Also heard its hard on children from NY going to Lancaster to make friends, again, just what i was told, those threads you should be able to find under the PA forum.

We are originally from LI , currently living in Henderson NV, the locals here accepted us right away, never had a problem with the people here, but we are looking to move back east to be closer to family and get our kids in some good public schools, if we could afford LI then we will do that, if not we want to be a drive away from LI, Lancaster is still an option for us.

I also heard the employment in Lancaster is pretty weak when compared to a Vegas or LI.

I heard that the best school districts in Lancaster are Hempfield, Manheim & Warwick.

Do alot of research, and if this is what you guys want then go for it!! Best of luck!!

Old 09-16-2007, 05:06 AM

690 posts, read 1,015,628 times
Hi Positiveone,
I am not really worried about the locals. I am not going there to change their ways and I meet friends pretty easily. As for the kids, they are kids...I think the make friends the easiest!

Employment is handled...I will be working from home at my current company and my wife is a RN.

As for areas, Hempfield, Manheim & Warwick is exactly where I am looking but will add Penn Manor to the mix.

Thanks!
Brian

Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 AM

5 posts, read 14,683 times
I have read that NY'ers go to Lancaster and have encountered problems, but personally speaking, my husband and I have been visiting for the past 2 yrs. We have gone at least 5 times, and oh my gosh! we created some very beautiful friendships down there. i happen to be a very friendly person, and I laugh a lot, and I don't care if someone ignores me. it's ok.
My husband and I are an interracial couple, and we're very aware that we still turn heads, but because we seem to always be happy and having fun, people start out by getting curious, then they want to be friends once they get to know us.
We're NY'ers, and my husband knows that we are going to move to Lancaster eventually. For family who wish to visit, we'll be more than happy to accomodate you when you come, and there's always the good ole telephone, and i will definitely come back to visit every once in a while.

I have lots of great friends and family, but my husband and I would love to enjoy a more peaceful life before 'we get old and cold'.

To the gentleman who seeks to need the more. Sit and have a heart to heart talk with your wife, and I hope you'll both do what's best for YOUR family.
Good luck.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:41 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Hi all,
Been visiting here a lot lately and decided to make a post I should also note that I have been researching this to death!

I live in Wantagh and I am considering a move to Lancaster PA. However like any major move, there is issues I am going to give some info with the hope you could say what you would do if you were in my shoes...

I am married with 2 girls ages 3 and 7 and they are home schooled. (No ties to friends or a school)
I work in Customer Service as a manager and my wife works as a RN at LIJ part time.
We purchased our house 8 years ago (probably the best move I ever did!) I did not have much to put down but wanted to "get in". My wife comes from an abnormally close knit family. I have one sister here who I see on occasion (not close) and my father lives on the island of Jamaica.

OK with that said, we are doing OK here...we have no dept at all except our mortgage and my truck payment which will be done in December. That means NO CC bills! I currently have a 20 mortgage at 5.75% fixed and I am into it by 5 years. When all is said and done however, we just can't seem to SAVE anything at the end of the month. Refinancing from a 20 to a 30 yr saves us $300 a month...not worth it IMHO. The next issue is our home. We have a rental upstairs (a very good friend of mine) so that leaves us with the first floor - 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room... at 1500 square feet. WAY...WAY to small for us! We can't afford to take over upstairs and loose the income to gain the much needed room and bathroom! (which needs to be replaced) So we have been thinking of moving to PA (We have been visiting there for the past 3 years and LOVE it there) Slower way of life, great people, clean air, less breast cancer less congestion, much better cost of living ...well you get the idea. We like it here BUT we NEVER go to the city. Never go to the beach as we hate the sand (We are pool people and our current home can't even have a pool due to power lines and the way it is situated!!!) Heck, I am even tired of Pizza!

So, we are looking at a new or near home there in Lancaster (under 5 years old) with 2500 to 3000 sq ft with taxes 5K or under in one of the most if not thee most desirable areas of the county. Pricing my home aggressively (As I know the market!) I will carry a 50K mortgage there on the new home. (Yup...almost the same as a nice truck loan!) My job informed me yesterday that I could work from home there in PA and loose only 3K off my salary (Give up being a mgr and all the headaches!) My wife however will take a pay cut but after all is said and done, we will be able to BANK close to 1K a month and be into a MUCH larger home that has less problems. (My house is 56 years old now)
My kids want to move.
I want to move!
My wife wants to move EXCEPT...and here is the BIG one...she has family here that is trying to convince her to stay with some of the best guilt I have ever heard! Comments like you are taking my grand children away or we will NEVER see you again and all you want is material things is said all the time. They are even telling these things to my girls! My wife feels that she will miss them but that she can come and visit (3 1/2 drive) and spend the night at their house. My wife is really in the middle here and she is feeling it both physically and mentally. I don't get along with her family...I mean we are civil and they come over for BBQ's but they are nothing more than "my wifes family" and I respect that...that is all! I don't look at them as they are all that bright...Oh and they really don't like me either

What would YOU do if you were in my/our shoes?
My family was thisclose. Over 10 years ago, my parents picked up and moved to FL, my sister picked up and followed, as did my grandmother. I sure as HELL will not be moving to FL to follow. They left behind their only grandchild. So here we sit on LI, abandoned by my family!

Florida is much further than Lancaster, PA. One can drive to PA in a matter of hours. You're not looking to move their daughter to Alaska!

That said, if you aren't already doing so, try to be as civil as possible regarding the out-laws. Your wife is aware of the better future you can have in PA and you will also have to be supportive of the fact that she is going to miss her family. Play it cool and let her know that you won't have any objections to her going 'home' with the children to visit -- once a month perhaps, or whatever it takes in the beginning to help them all transition.

Again the out-laws: you might not get along, but play nice. Be the bigger person and tell them that you and your wife would love for grandma and grandpa to visit their grandchildren and see your new home when the time comes.

Don't let the guilt they are laying out now affect you negatively, see past it and how it is merely a selfish manipulation. When they talk about you all being material, tell them that you want to provide a good life for their daughter and grandchildren, just like they did for their children years earlier.
That your wife and children mean the world and that their happiness is most important and your first priority.

Good luck

Old 05-12-2011, 09:49 AM

7 posts, read 12,307 times
Default So what did you wind up doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Hi all,
Been visiting here a lot lately and decided to make a post I should also note that I have been researching this to death!

I live in Wantagh and I am considering a move to Lancaster PA. However like any major move, there is issues I am going to give some info with the hope you could say what you would do if you were in my shoes...

I am married with 2 girls ages 3 and 7 and they are home schooled. (No ties to friends or a school)
I work in Customer Service as a manager and my wife works as a RN at LIJ part time.
We purchased our house 8 years ago (probably the best move I ever did!) I did not have much to put down but wanted to "get in". My wife comes from an abnormally close knit family. I have one sister here who I see on occasion (not close) and my father lives on the island of Jamaica.

OK with that said, we are doing OK here...we have no dept at all except our mortgage and my truck payment which will be done in December. That means NO CC bills! I currently have a 20 mortgage at 5.75% fixed and I am into it by 5 years. When all is said and done however, we just can't seem to SAVE anything at the end of the month. Refinancing from a 20 to a 30 yr saves us $300 a month...not worth it IMHO. The next issue is our home. We have a rental upstairs (a very good friend of mine) so that leaves us with the first floor - 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room... at 1500 square feet. WAY...WAY to small for us! We can't afford to take over upstairs and loose the income to gain the much needed room and bathroom! (which needs to be replaced) So we have been thinking of moving to PA (We have been visiting there for the past 3 years and LOVE it there) Slower way of life, great people, clean air, less breast cancer less congestion, much better cost of living ...well you get the idea. We like it here BUT we NEVER go to the city. Never go to the beach as we hate the sand (We are pool people and our current home can't even have a pool due to power lines and the way it is situated!!!) Heck, I am even tired of Pizza!

So, we are looking at a new or near home there in Lancaster (under 5 years old) with 2500 to 3000 sq ft with taxes 5K or under in one of the most if not thee most desirable areas of the county. Pricing my home aggressively (As I know the market!) I will carry a 50K mortgage there on the new home. (Yup...almost the same as a nice truck loan!) My job informed me yesterday that I could work from home there in PA and loose only 3K off my salary (Give up being a mgr and all the headaches!) My wife however will take a pay cut but after all is said and done, we will be able to BANK close to 1K a month and be into a MUCH larger home that has less problems. (My house is 56 years old now)
My kids want to move.
I want to move!
My wife wants to move EXCEPT...and here is the BIG one...she has family here that is trying to convince her to stay with some of the best guilt I have ever heard! Comments like you are taking my grand children away or we will NEVER see you again and all you want is material things is said all the time. They are even telling these things to my girls! My wife feels that she will miss them but that she can come and visit (3 1/2 drive) and spend the night at their house. My wife is really in the middle here and she is feeling it both physically and mentally. I don't get along with her family...I mean we are civil and they come over for BBQ's but they are nothing more than "my wifes family" and I respect that...that is all! I don't look at them as they are all that bright...Oh and they really don't like me either

What would YOU do if you were in my/our shoes?
If you dont mind me asking, I know that this post was from a long time ago. But i was sondering what you wound up doing? I am in a simiar situation

Old 05-12-2011, 09:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majenta View Post
If you dont mind me asking, I know that this post was from a long time ago. But i was sondering what you wound up doing? I am in a simiar situation
Try pm'ing them as most likely they will never see your question...they have only a few posts on the LI forum and and it's 2 years old.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Move!
It's only about 3.5 hours away and your wife's family can visit and treat it like a vacation. I have friends who moved to PA 5 years ago and my son is STILL best friends with their son (thanks to xbox live, lol). We text and facebook. It's like they never left. We visit them every summer and it's great.
I love that area too and wish we could go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island