Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM

764 posts, read 1,554,302 times

Advertisements

I would not move. I know people who moved to North carolina and had a very hard time . They had to move back. In parts of North carolina so many people moved in that the schools are having problems and need to raise taxes to expand. There are not enough jobs for all the people moving in .

Long island does have affordable housing. People are not looking good enough. I have a condo with all the ammenities . People almost pass out when I tell them how much I paid for it and my taxes and maintanance.

Its not a secret. People just want mcmansions for $200k. They can keep them. I like my condo where my walk is shoveled for me up to my door and being able to walk to the tiki bar and cafe.

Also for all the Long islanders moving out I see a ton of people from other states moving in. 3 different couples from california moved into my complex in the past year.

So obviously long island is not as bad as the people here say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
Grew up on Long Island in the 50's and 60's, when blue-collar parents could afford a nice little house in Nassau, great schools, most moms could afford to stay at home, Jones Beach was pristine. I left in 1990 and have never regretted it. I go back now and the traffic is unbelievable. Ugly condos and big-box stores have replaced old estates and farmland. Housing is incredibly expensive and my friends and family that stayed behind all have the same complaint: property taxes. LI is a ghost of its former glory days.
You know it's funny I bet the people that lived on LI before the boom in the 50's/60's said the same thing about the houses, stores and traffic that you remember so fondly. It's seems to be a naturall cycle with each generation lamenting the loss/change of what they remember when they were younger.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:12 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You know it's funny I bet the people that lived on LI before the boom in the 50's/60's said the same thing about the houses, stores and traffic that you remember so fondly. It's seems to be a naturall cycle with each generation lamenting the loss/change of what they remember when they were younger.
Excellent point and you will probably see the same complaints about "insert city name here" NC, VA, FL etc. 30 years from now about how "good it used to be back in the day". Its human nature.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 AM

530 posts, read 1,341,159 times
Quote:
That is so true. My grandfather, believe it or not, delivered mail with a horse and wagon in Bayside when he first started out as a postman. Talk about changes in his lifetime! My grandmother told me stories about taking the cows down to Flushing Creek on the family farm (now this would underneath Shea Stadium) and actually swimming in the water! Times change, and it's hard to describe how different LI was decades ago.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 AM

325 posts, read 737,637 times
As I move into semi-retirement over the next couple years, my wife and I have decided to eventually downsize to a smaller home, but stay on LI. 2 of our adult kids have settled here...and we still love it here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
... Also for all the Long islanders moving out I see a ton of people from other states moving in. 3 different couples from california moved into my complex in the past year.

So obviously long island is not as bad as the people here say.
I meet people all the time who move to the north shore from all of the country (usually via Manhattan or Brooklyn). As long as NYC remains a world capital, people will come to settle in our bedroom communities.

Quote:
It's true! My grandparents grew up in Huntington and the were teens in the 20s and they used to complain about how suburbanization ruined their little town. My grandma especially lamented the loss of open space in favor of ugly ranch houses and strip malls in the 50s and 60s. Sad thing is, I agreed with her

Old 05-15-2012, 12:38 PM

305 posts, read 611,312 times
[quote=majortom1981;24311025]
Its not a secret. People just want mcmansions for $200k. They can keep them. I like my condo where my walk is shoveled for me up to my door and being able to walk to the tiki bar and cafe.

mcmansions for $200K?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Yes I would move off LI but not just yet. When I do move it's going to be either Delaware, Arizona or Vegas.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 AM

322 posts, read 938,115 times
If job security was not an issue, I would not have a problem moving off of LI. However, What other areas have the same village/hamlet feel to them? I like the fact that I can walk to a plethora of shops and restaurants within 10-15 minutes. I like that suburban feel of kids playing in the street, homeowners mowing their lawn, pet owners walking their dogs, and families grilling in their backyards on a nice sunny day. I like seeing families walking their kids around for Halloween like they do on television. If there are other places out there like this (and preferably near a beach) by all means, let me know.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:55 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
. If there are other places out there like this (and preferably near a beach) by all means, let me know.
Wow. This is when I remember how cultish some Long Islanders are.

Travel a little.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:44 AM

200 posts, read 380,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Wow. This is when I remember how cultish some Long Islanders are.

Travel a little.
I agree with the poster and i have lived other places, including hawaii.

Long island can be aggravating but there really is no place like it. I CAN leave but the problem is we have the best of everything here...including close proximity to NYC...another place that there is nothing like. It makes it a really tough decision anx why i am still here and why i came back from hawaii. Sf and san diego.

The variety of food types alone majes ut a tough call to leave :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island