Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 PM

247 posts, read 483,328 times

Advertisements

Well, the appraisal came in today. $350k. I'm floored.

It came in below what we needed it to be, below listing, and below purchase price. All in all, $30k below what we needed it to be.

We are waiting to hear back from the seller to see if they'll agree to sell the home for the exact appraisal value and we'll come up with the closing costs on our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 01:39 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Wow. That is surprising. Did you and your agent review the comps that the appraiser used. With new laws governing appraisals, many are being done today by appraisers who are not from the area and may not be familiar with local charectoristics which affect values. If you do not feel that they used appropriate comps, your agent should go back to them and explain.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Wow. That is surprising. Did you and your agent review the comps that the appraiser used. With new laws governing appraisals, many are being done today by appraisers who are not from the area and may not be familiar with local charectoristics which affect values. If you do not feel that they used appropriate comps, your agent should go back to them and explain.
I read through the 29 pages of the appraisal report last night. The appraiser, who is an adjunct professor at Baruch, used comps that are close to spot on GLA, but in my opinion, did not compare in any other way. The home I'd like to buy is a corner home with a basement. The comps did not have basements and were situated on narrow streets. However, since we're apart by $30k, my agents are trying to negotiate with the seller. The appraiser did not use any of the comps that my agents provided.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 PM

103 posts, read 200,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
I read through the 29 pages of the appraisal report last night. The appraiser, who is an adjunct professor at Baruch, used comps that are close to spot on GLA, but in my opinion, did not compare in any other way. The home I'd like to buy is a corner home with a basement. The comps did not have basements and were situated on narrow streets. However, since we're apart by $30k, my agents are trying to negotiate with the seller. The appraiser did not use any of the comps that my agents provided.
It might sound cynical, but somewhere along the line, an axle was not greased. This is a rarety.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveitorleaveit2012 View Post
It might sound cynical, but somewhere along the line, an axle was not greased. This is a rarety.

Not much axle greasing possible these days - everything is pretty much "arms length".

And while this isn't a common occurrance, it happens more often than you may think (we had several such cases in our office recently--deals died).

Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 PM

After some negotiations, working out closing credit with lender, and scraping up some more cash, we are now $5k apart in current negotiations with the seller. We are not willing to go any higher than $5k above appraisal. Still waiting to hear back from sellers after they had offered to sell at $10k above appraisal.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:01 AM

Another quick update to this saga:

Turns out the seller's agent has been withholding information to try and drive up the purchase price of the home. When the sellers had been presented with the appraisal, they had agreed to split the difference and arrive at $357k. My wife and I had agreed that splitting the difference would be the highest we would go. However, the seller's agent withheld that information and came back to our agents with a price of $360k and threatened to walk away unless we agreed to $360k.

My agents figured something was up because they felt it was odd that the sellers would walk away from a deal over a $5k difference. So they called the seller's attorney directly and uncovered the truth - that the seller's agent has been withholding information from the buyers and sellers in order to drive up the purchase price of the home.

Going forward, my attorney and the seller's attorney have agreed to keep the seller's agent out of the negotiations and deal directly with each other, while keeping our agents in the loop. Looks like we are very close to agreeing to either $355 or $357k. If that's the case, we'll sign the addendum to the contract and set up a closing date. In addition, when all is said and done, we'll most likely pursue some type of disciplinary action against the seller's agent.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:52 AM

406 posts, read 874,688 times
Quote:
Another quick update to this saga:

Turns out the seller's agent has been withholding information to try and drive up the purchase price of the home. When the sellers had been presented with the appraisal, they had agreed to split the difference and arrive at $357k. My wife and I had agreed that splitting the difference would be the highest we would go. However, the seller's agent withheld that information and came back to our agents with a price of $360k and threatened to walk away unless we agreed to $360k.

My agents figured something was up because they felt it was odd that the sellers would walk away from a deal over a $5k difference. So they called the seller's attorney directly and uncovered the truth - that the seller's agent has been withholding information from the buyers and sellers in order to drive up the purchase price of the home.

Going forward, my attorney and the seller's attorney have agreed to keep the seller's agent out of the negotiations and deal directly with each other, while keeping our agents in the loop. Looks like we are very close to agreeing to either $355 or $357k. If that's the case, we'll sign the addendum to the contract and set up a closing date. In addition, when all is said and done, we'll most likely pursue some type of disciplinary action against the seller's agent.
I just looked back at the MLS listing and noticed that the listing agent is with Realty Connect USA. They are the same agency that screwed my wife and I out of a purchase in Massapequa. In that case, after accepting our offer (which was presented by our buyer's agent), the seller's agent blatantly lied to the sellers and told them that our offer was off the table. He wanted full commission and worked to push his own deal through. I just saw that the offer he had them accept was the exact same amount as the one we offered, so it wasn't a case of him trying to get more for his seller, it was just him getting more for himself.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:21 AM

377 posts, read 644,525 times
We have had our own dealings with agents with questionable ethics. Sad to say, but I am not too surprised by either of these stories. Not to say that there aren't agents with good ethics,because there are. But in general, the only people looking out for the buyer and seller are the buyer and seller- no matter how many agents tell you otherwise.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:33 AM

398 posts, read 838,056 times
Quote:
Its different because I am not worried that the appraisal will come in lower than listing or offer because that will be absolutely ludicrous. Considering that the market dictates what a house is worth, the house received at least 4-5 offers within 3 days of being listed. So I know that the house was listed to sell, below its market value and others recognized that as well. But, how much below market value? What I am worried about is the seller's concession.
You're walking away if you have to pay cash for closing, instead of rolling it into the mortgage?

From what I understand sellers consesion is simplying allowing the buyer to pay a higher asking price and rolling the closing costs into the mortgage payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island