Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:47 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It's really more to do with the baby boomers reaching the end of their child bearing years. There's less people of child bearing age, therefore there's less children.

If anyone really thinks that translates to getting rid of teachers, they haven't lived on LI that long. Our old schools have less classes than they used to per grade, but if you look hard enough, you'll find all the teachers are still there lurking in special ed classrooms or teaching "technology" and things like that.
Without insulting anyone the vast majority of baby boomers are long past their peak child bearing years. That is understood. My district had a wave of kids go through about 15 years ago and that wave finally diminished with a group that is in about the third grade. This is the case across Long Island. Most experts point to the low turnover of homes (for whatever reasons) and resultant lack of new couples (w/kids) in districts (for whatever reasons) as the cause of the declining enrollment of the last four years.

My district has laid off about 40 teachers in the last three years (all elementary) to adjust for the reduction in students and will continue to attrit teachers for about the next eight years. This is what has enabled them to stick to the 2% cap. And I completely agree that some districts stash favorites in special ed and technology and never get around to slashing administrators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,568 times
Does anyone think that the rise in school taxes is also due to all the special needs kids in our schools? For example, I heard autism rates have skyrocketed and for a district to send the kid to a BOCES program, it costs more than $70K. Maybe that's the problem...too many learning disabled and developmentally delayed kids sucking up all the taxpayer money.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Does anyone think that the rise in school taxes is also due to all the special needs kids in our schools? For example, I heard autism rates have skyrocketed and for a district to send the kid to a BOCES program, it costs more than $70K. Maybe that's the problem...too many learning disabled and developmentally delayed kids sucking up all the taxpayer money.
Yes...better they learn nothing and we support them on welfare later on. No marketable skills is totally where its at.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,362 times
ours are up 820 for 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Yes, I'm well aware of the LIPA Glenwood rampdown and pending bills in Albany.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
ours are up 820 for 2013
Did your assessment go up? Your neighborhood's been fairly active sales-wise...

Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,362 times
^assesment is flat but am refinancing and appraisal was up 7.5% y over y. everything is going near asking price or above here again.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:43 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
^assesment is flat but am refinancing and appraisal was up 7.5% y over y. everything is going near asking price or above here again.
Lot of junk on the market right now. Couple of tear downs in GH - one in NS Acres.......overpriced I think,though lot size is decent, the other on Glenwood Road...could do with a bit of a shave on the price since it's a busy street.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Can you explain that 2% cap, because I just look at the home I sold a few years back and the school taxes just went up 9% in one year to 6,858 after the star rebate. It was 5,263 in 2008 Some of my old friends went up 10 even 12% for 2013. I thought 2% was the max

That doesn't sound right, the school district voters can override with a 60% vote but I don't know if there was a single case. There are exceptions to exceeing the 2% cap, capital costs, lawsuits but 12% sounds more like an assessment issue than a school budget increase. Seems like the assessments of properties in certain cataegories are hit harder than others.

The attached goves a good overview of the regulation:

New York State's Property Tax Cap

Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 PM

30 posts, read 83,912 times
hi folks i`m a new homeowner here i am trying to figure out what and how to read my tax receipts so i can figure out what changes up or down my taxes are going. for 11/12 my assessed value is 839 i see also 12/13 is 792 as well as 13/14..thanks for your help in advance ..lou

Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Did you put in for a capital improvement tax abatement? ToH offers this does your are do the same?
yes and that will go into affect next year, not for this one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island