Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERKED66 View Post
hi folks i`m a new homeowner here i am trying to figure out what and how to read my tax receipts so i can figure out what changes up or down my taxes are going. for 11/12 my assessed value is 839 i see also 12/13 is 792 as well as 13/14..thanks for your help in advance ..lou
Assuming you're in Nassau:

http://www.mynassauproperty.com --> property search --> hit accept at bottom, then enter your address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 PM

30 posts, read 83,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Assuming you're in Nassau:

http://www.mynassauproperty.com --> property search --> hit accept at bottom, then enter your address.
thank you for your help yes i forgot to mention i am in nassau..
i have done that just trying to learn how to read it correctly and understand everything

Old 10-06-2012, 07:13 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Can you explain that 2% cap, because I just look at the home I sold a few years back and the school taxes just went up 9% in one year to 6,858 after the star rebate. It was 5,263 in 2008 Some of my old friends went up 10 even 12% for 2013. I thought 2% was the max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That doesn't sound right, the school district voters can override with a 60% vote but I don't know if there was a single case. There are exceptions to exceeing the 2% cap, capital costs, lawsuits but 12% sounds more like an assessment issue than a school budget increase. Seems like the assessments of properties in certain cataegories are hit harder than others.

The attached goves a good overview of the regulation:

New York State's Property Tax Cap

This is what I was talking about, now does it sound right?

School tax rates skyrocket in Nassau

Old 10-06-2012, 07:48 AM

377 posts, read 644,662 times
I just read a couple of articles on the subject. The issue is the assessment system and redistribution of the tax burden. Most school districts have stuck to the 2% cap. However, Nassau County has been offering good deals to homeowners who have grieved their taxes. In addition, commercial taxes have been decreased. This burden is being shifted to everyone else. So the budget has been capped but it does not help those who have not grieved their taxes, as we are stuck picking up the tab.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 AM

156 posts, read 309,600 times
Time to get the hell out of LI!!!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 AM

377 posts, read 644,662 times
Very scary indeed. I wonder how many more people will now need to foreclose on their homes.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,765,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
Very scary indeed. I wonder how many more people will now need to foreclose on their homes.
I don't think this will impact foreclosure, because LI is one of those areas where there are so many people, there's always a last chance buyer. What it will do is increase short sales, especially for those who bought between '06 and '08. As the taxes become unaffordable for more and more homeowners, the stock of homes for sale will go up and prices will, inevitably go down.

As the property taxes sky rocket, do the arithmetic. Roughly double the tax bill and that's what you need to earn in order to pay the bill. So, if your property taxes are $12k, you'll need to earn $20,000 - $24,000 just to keep up. Yes, property taxes are tax deductible, but watch out for tax 'reform' efforts to limit deductions in the future and AMT, which already dilutes your deductions.

Property taxes are really a problem here, and obviously local politicians are showing they'll continue to raise the bar. I really don't see any economic upside to living on LI or in NYS for that matter.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
I just read a couple of articles on the subject. The issue is the assessment system and redistribution of the tax burden. Most school districts have stuck to the 2% cap. However, Nassau County has been offering good deals to homeowners who have grieved their taxes. In addition, commercial taxes have been decreased. This burden is being shifted to everyone else. So the budget has been capped but it does not help those who have not grieved their taxes, as we are stuck picking up the tab.
As that article that BigMike linked to explains, even if you grieve your taxes and win, they will just raise your assessment rate to bring in the same amount of money that was coming in before.

There is no way around it - your taxes are going to go up no matter what you do. The system is rigged against the property owner because the county has the right and the ability to collect whatever it needs.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM

283 posts, read 581,764 times
School tax up 680.00 for 2013

Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 PM

38 posts, read 32,861 times
Our school taxes are up 11.3% for 2013! No change in assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island