Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
This is what I was talking about, now does it sound right?

School tax rates skyrocket in Nassau
It's really an assessment issue, the school budgets didn't change from last May when they were approved. If their school taxes increased double digits, it was due to either a change in assessment or a change in the tax rate, not an increase in the school budget.

The asessment system in Nassau County is still a mess. Decreases in your neighbors assessment will result in increases to your taxes , even if your assessment stays the same. Something like 60-70% of the decreases are commerial property causing large changes in assessments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:44 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
I thought the new evaluations for teachers and the new tax cap regulations were both supposed to save us property tax money. Seems like they are both costing us more. Once again, you can't believe the hype.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:46 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverChessies View Post
Our school taxes are up 11.3% for 2013! No change in assessment.
If your assessment didn't change, then your tax rate went up to cover the decrease in assessment for other property owners.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 AM

655 posts, read 1,061,341 times
wow just read the article, tax rates increased 29% in roosevelt.....

and garden city increased its tax rate 14.3% when it was only projected to increase 3.54%.

something is going to have to be done about the assessment process but what?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
wow just read the article, tax rates increased 29% in roosevelt.....

and garden city increased its tax rate 14.3% when it was only projected to increase 3.54%.

something is going to have to be done about the assessment process but what?
Is it really the assessment process? Or is it the excessive spending by the schools that finally caught up with us on this reassessment? Commercial values have plunged in this awesome economy .. thus their assessments and tax bills have dropped big time causing a huge void needing to be filled. It's exposed us to taking the brunt of the property tax increases that commercial and the high end normally absorbs.

What needs to be done is school budgets should be DECREASING 2% in times like these, not persistently increasing. You don't raise taxes in a recession, like Peter Schmitt said. I don't care what Obama says when he uses "the recession we went through" in the past tense, this recession ain't over. The school boards and teachers unions knew full this was coming. None of them reined in spending.

Last edited by Pequaman; 10-08-2012 at 10:23 AM..

Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,763,579 times
My mother just showed me her school tax bill. Between Star, Enhanced Star, and Senior Exemption, her taxes are zero! I have to say, this is the first time I've seen this. I'm ready to pack up my family and move back in with her!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,085 times
I just stumbled upon here looking for information on this school tax increase. First time my dad talked (more like complained) about the tax to me. Apparently ours has gone up by approx. $6,000 from last year

Someone here mentioned an article that said Roosevelt went up 29% and other places... Can someone link to this?

Also what's the relationship between the assessment value and the tax? We have no idea what the assessment is....

Thanks.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
I just read a couple of articles on the subject. The issue is the assessment system and redistribution of the tax burden. Most school districts have stuck to the 2% cap. However, Nassau County has been offering good deals to homeowners who have grieved their taxes. In addition, commercial taxes have been decreased. This burden is being shifted to everyone else. So the budget has been capped but it does not help those who have not grieved their taxes, as we are stuck picking up the tab.

Yup. Your post hits it on the head best so far.

Mangano shifted the assessment refund burden to the schools. Thus it appears Nassau rubber stamped the heck out of the challenges. Anyone who did not challenge their assessment is effectively paying for everyone else's refund. Add the drop in commercial property values and it's a tsunami for anyone who did not challenge their assessment and even for many who did. That's why the % jumps are so high (9.45% for yours truly).

The system went from broken to a complete clusterfook.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Yup. Your post hits it on the head best so far.

Mangano shifted the assessment refund burden to the schools. Thus it appears Nassau rubber stamped the heck out of the challenges. Anyone who did not challenge their assessment is effectively paying for everyone else's refund. Add the drop in commercial property values and it's a tsunami for anyone who did not challenge their assessment and even for many who did. That's why the % jumps are so high (9.45% for yours truly).

The system went from broken to a complete clusterfook.
But remember, NASSAU COUNTY property taxes did not go up as he promised the voters! Oh God what a bunch of saps we are!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 AM

38 posts, read 76,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
But remember, NASSAU COUNTY property taxes did not go up as he promised the voters! Oh God what a bunch of saps we are!
As the assessments change relative to each other, there are going to be people paying more and people paying less. When we did the last big reassessment back in the early 2000's, the assessment on my house relative to others went down. I think this was because my lot is very small, and I don't think the old assessment was fairly reflecting that fact.

Now, overall, my taxes went up, because the school tax went up. But when I looked at my tax bill, the amount I was paying to the county and to the town--those had not gone up--declined.

But nobody is going to want to admit that to the press. So the media understandably interviews all the pissed-off people and it sounds like everybody is getting a tax hike, which isn't true.

The only way to tell if government is benefiting from these changes is to look at their property tax revenues. Back after that big reassessment I mentioned, when everybody was screaming, county property tax revenues barely budged, because some people went up and others went down against a tax rate that was flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island