Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 PM

131 posts, read 333,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
lol, so by that definition: Rockville Centre, Manhasset, Smithtown, Northport, Southampton, Roslyn and Port Washington are all impoverished areas.

According to city-data, all of these "well-regarded" areas have median household incomes of below 125k.
IMO, you really can't comfortably afford to save for a downpayment and buy in todays market in Rockville Centre, Manhasset, Roslyn or Port Washington in a detached single family home with a spouse and two kids unless you make $400k+ per year . This is really the truth. The math doesn't work otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
IMO, you really can't comfortably afford to save for a downpayment and buy in todays market in Rockville Centre, Manhasset, Roslyn or Port Washington in a detached single family home with a spouse and two kids unless you make $400k+ per year . This is really the truth. The math doesn't work otherwise.
Most folks buying in those towns are not going in with "liar loans" "no doc" "FHA" or "3% down" loans. They likely will be plunking down some serious coin for a down payment - it is entirely possible to purchase a home in those towns and it doesn't have to be a $900K home either. It's ludicrous to believe that the lowest price home in any of those towns is $900K, likely what you have there are homes in the millions on the high end, and homes in the $500-$700K on the low-end, the averages of $900K are just that - an average of both the high-end and low-end.

BTW, I have friends living in those towns with families of 2+kids and they are doing it "on their own" - no family bling, no lottery winnings and no income of $400K+.

FYI - Brentwood is located in Suffolk county.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Most folks buying in those towns are not going in with "liar loans" "no doc" "FHA" or "3% down" loans. They likely will be plunking down some serious coin for a down payment - it is entirely possible to purchase a home in those towns and it doesn't have to be a $900K home either. It's ludicrous to believe that the lowest price home in any of those towns is $900K, likely what you have there are homes in the millions on the high end, and homes in the $500-$700K on the low-end, the averages of $900K are just that - an average of both the high-end and low-end.

BTW, I have friends living in those towns with families of 2+kids and they are doing it "on their own" - no family bling, no lottery winnings and no income of $400K+.

Buying a home at the "low end" in those towns is not living comfortably. I said to do it comfortably. It's not that farfetched. Who said anything about liar loans and 3% down? There aren't many 500-750 homes there anyway. Even at 500-750 you have to make 250k to 300k to afford the worst house in town which probably needs work.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post

When did they buy their houses?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,067 times
Default Repost

I'll repeat, its not what you make. Its what you save.
All those numbers, salaries, home prices, car loans do not mean anything.
Sure, i can make 400K. However, i may have a 600K mtg with NO retirement saved. VS. 150K per year, 300k Mtg & 10% into my retirement for the last 10-15 years, with no other debt.

Numbers do not lie.

How much money you putting away after ALL bills are paid should be the question. If its 10%+ of your salary, 1-2 vacations per year, maybe a car loan, no CC bills, a small savings account, your Middle Class. Regardless of what you make.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Sure, i can make 400K. However, i may have a 600K mtg with NO retirement saved. VS. 150K per year, 300k Mtg & 10% into my retirement for the last 10-15 years, with no other debt.

Numbers do not lie.

How much money you putting away after ALL bills are paid should be the question. If its 10%+ of your salary, 1-2 vacations per year, maybe a car loan, no CC bills, a small savings account, your Middle Class. Regardless of what you make.
Where are you living with this 300k mtg? I'm assuming you put down a hefty down payment on a 800k+ home?

Location/value of your property and home plays a role in an upper-class lifestyle.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,809 times
I just think there are too many variables. I mean, of course 400k is better than 250k but 250 still allows you to live a nice life in many desireable areas. If it's two 125k salaries than you have child care and such but I find most single-income families to be better situated for one reason or another.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Where are you living with this 300k mtg? I'm assuming you put down a hefty down payment on a 800k+ home?

Location/value of your property and home plays a role in an upper-class lifestyle.
First. Who said ANYTHING about an 800K MTG? I am not crazy or rich. I am NOT "Upper Middle Class"...."LIFESTYLE", WHO REALLY CARES? I would NEVER spend 800K for a home on L.I.
My 400K home is just fine. In another year I will have my 200K vaca home. I rather a 400K home on L.I. & 200K vaca home than a 600K home here on L.I.

Sure, forget the new car, forget the vaca, forget putting away 10%+ into retirement, Then I can afford an "Upper Middle Class Lifestyle" 800K home. I dont need the "status"

Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post

Numbers do not lie.

1 vacation a year?
I'd shoot myself.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,809 times
vacations are overrated. one trip to europe is enough. I live 2 mins from the beach and have a pool so why bother. I loathe site seeing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island