Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,208 times

Advertisements

Hoping for some help...my husband and I and our three young children are looking to move out to Long Island. We saw a nice house in Lindenhurst just not sure about the area at all. We don't know the area at all, the house is a few houses off Sunrise Highway on 39th street. Any insight in that area would be appreciated. We are losing a ton of money selling our current house and would really like to find somewhere we can stay and raise our children in a nice area. The school district is #4, Lindenhurst, not as high rated as some of LI....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 11:02 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmove View Post
Hoping for some help...my husband and I and our three young children are looking to move out to Long Island. We saw a nice house in Lindenhurst just not sure about the area at all. We don't know the area at all, the house is a few houses off Sunrise Highway on 39th street. Any insight in that area would be appreciated. We are losing a ton of money selling our current house and would really like to find somewhere we can stay and raise our children in a nice area. The school district is #4, Lindenhurst, not as high rated as some of LI....
I grew up in Lindenhurst and my parents still live there. its a great place to live. the school district is middle of the road. pretty much average. You cant go wrong.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,208 times
Thank you. The school district concerns me. My children are all under the age of 3, 3 boys. I need them in a good school. Are there any areas to stay away from?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:03 AM

16 posts, read 52,285 times
Honey, the schools are fine, i had friends there. You dont even want to be in the best/rich school systems since thats where all the heavy drugs are at on Long Island. Just ben a parent and your babies will be fine.

You dont have any areas to avoid. N.Lindenhurst is not that nice IMO but its def not a bad area, same goes for Copiague. N.Amityville can be kinda sketchy but thankfully its not really dangerous these days so you dont have to worry if u drive through or shop there

Last edited by Britney5000; 07-14-2013 at 08:08 AM..

Old 07-14-2013, 07:50 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Just curious...why would you sell your house at a big loss to move to Long Island?

Old 07-14-2013, 10:28 AM

Like I said the school district is average. You cant go wrong there. I graduated from there went on to college and have a high paying job. its a division 1 sports school. it can't be that bad. They even have an alternative learning school that a lot of districts do not have.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:49 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
I look at MLSLI all the time and I know the parts of Lindy I've seen are nice but then I see houses that are like $250k there and it makes me wonder, is there a bad part of Lindenhurst? I know some parts of Libdenhurst go to Copaigue schools and some go to Lindy... Why are the houses so cheap there?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I look at MLSLI all the time and I know the parts of Lindy I've seen are nice but then I see houses that are like $250k there and it makes me wonder, is there a bad part of Lindenhurst? I know some parts of Libdenhurst go to Copaigue schools and some go to Lindy... Why are the houses so cheap there?

I don't know. there are a lot of house by the water for cheap because they got wrecked by sandy. Lindenhurst is not a bad place to live. ITs one of those hidden gem type places. those $250k house are most likely small. Lindenhurst has a lot of old summer bungalow houses from the 1920's

Old 07-15-2013, 11:03 AM

38 posts, read 76,565 times
It's kind of drab, depressing, and blah...but there's no real compelling reason NOT to live there if you're just looking for a place to buy a house and you're not really hoping for a cool, happening downtown. It's just kind of typical Long Island middle class, surrounded by a smattering of sketchier areas.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:32 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Just curious...why would you sell your house at a big loss to move to Long Island?

I was thinking the same thing. Why in the world would you take a loss on your current home to move to Long Island???? There is NOTHING out here that makes it worth it!

Are you coming from Queens or Brooklyn? If I were you, I would stay put. The schools on LI are no better than NYC schools. Also, when your kids are HS age they can pick/choose the high schools they want to go to based upon their interest and abilities. On Long Island? You go to the HS in the town you live. If you're lucky, they "may" be able to do a BOCES program in 11/12 grade.

I would think VERY hard about it. Long Island is nothing compared to NYC. The biggest 'attraction' that all die-hard LI-ers brag about is: THE BEACH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island