Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 09:27 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,782,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
The shift ( money going south and west) has been going on for some time.....I truly believe (25-30) years houses will be on par if not more then the N/E. I'm not saying everywhere in the south but the hotbeds especially . It's shifting that way already with jobs and growth and see the housing stock going up. Look at Grumman, once had 25,000 workers on the Island and now are down to 500 So many business have left for greener pastures and are being replaced by the 10-15hr specials (want fires with that).....not sustainable in the long run, not with the cost of living on the Island ......it's going to be a MESS.
This is not just a Long Island problem but one nationwide. We are very rapidly becoming a 'fast food' economy having outsourced so much manufacturing and tech services over the years. Hence why there are nationwide fast food strikes going on demanding higher wages. As a nation we have become FAR to reliant on service jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 09:40 AM

289 posts, read 400,115 times
Where one lives has nothing to do with ones knowledge.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:44 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,893,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
Where one lives has nothing to do with ones knowledge.
BM is the Alfred Einstein of the forum...we all know this

Old 08-03-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
BM is the Alfred Einstein of the forum...we all know this
Lol guess you just want a negative response back. Have a nice day.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,958,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
This is not just a Long Island problem but one nationwide. We are very rapidly becoming a 'fast food' economy having outsourced so much manufacturing and tech services over the years. Hence why there are nationwide fast food strikes going on demanding higher wages. As a nation we have become FAR to reliant on service jobs.
Yes but not all places...

From just the other day
Quote:
Hot U.S. Cities That Offer Both Jobs and Culture Are Mostly Southern and Modest Sized
Quote:
To determine America’s current aspirational hotspots, we focused in large part on economic indicators, such as employment growth, per capita income, and unemployment. But we also took into account demographic factors, such as the growth of domestic migration and the movement of college-educated people and the foreign born.

Finally, we considered quality-of-life factors such as traffic congestion, housing affordability, and crowding—which are keenly relevant to young families hunting for the places with the best “inventory of the possible.” In a sense, we believe aspirational cities reflect a kind of urban arbitrage, where people look for those places that provide not just economic and cultural opportunity but a cost structure that allows them to enjoy their success to the fullest extent.
Quote:
Like the Texas state capital and the legendary Crescent City, most of our top cities are located in the American South and lower Midwest, and they attract businesses and people not only from other sections of the country but also increasingly from abroad as well. These include No. 3, Houston, and the smaller but burgeoning oil town of No. 4, Oklahoma City. These are followed by three fast-growing, low-cost Southern cities: No. 5, Raleigh-Cary, North Carolina; No. 6, Nashville; and No. 7, Richmond, Virginia.
Quote:
This applies as well even to cities toward the bottom of the list, including No. 46, New York, and, in last place, No. 51, Los Angeles. If you want to break into businesses such as finance, media, and entertainment, you have little choice but to concentrate on New York or Southern California. These areas may also prove more attractive to people who have inherited money (critical to affording houses or paying high rents), as well as those whose business is closely tied to these great cities’ ethnic economies.
source:Hot U.S. Cities That Offer Both Jobs and Culture Are Mostly Southern and Modest Sized - The Daily Beast

Old 08-03-2013, 11:11 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,154,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Again, that's more planning than most areas got. I'll take our highway and mass transit system over many other places (I bring up LA again but seriously that place is a nightmare to get around.
True, but actually the ideas of planning have been around a long time look at DC for example, though it would eventually become out of date as it was based on train travel into DC). The problem with Moses was a matter of his vision for Long Island . He was about transporting NYC dwellers to his parks when he built the parkways. Even when they developed the LIE Moses was focused not on moving people into NYC and back but on moving cars and goods into NYC. Once there they were on their own.

Here's Newday from 1953. So the matter of a growing population on Long Island was know early but pretty much a free for all. A few things that might have helped were better zoning by the Towns and Counties for where communities could be developed based on well planned adequate roads.

Quote:
The proposed Long Island Expressway is a most important part of the arterial highway program which will serve all of Long Island, that is, Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk counties, with a combined population of over 5,500,000. The backbone of this program is a 70-mile expressway for mixed traffic from Manhattan to Riverhead, Suffolk County. The building of this vitally needed express artery has the full approval and support of the authorities of both Nassau and Suffolk counties, and has been recommended by the Temporary State Highway Finance Committee.
Early completion of this comprehensive expressway system from Manhattan and Queens, through Nassau to the county seat of Suffolk County, is the only logical solution to the intolerable congestion resulting from the rapid increase of building subdivisions, extraordinary population growth and large increase in motor vehicle registration. Almost daily, the remaining estates and large acreages on Long Island are being sold to developers. Unless the plans are progressed and rights-of-way are acquired promptly, the route will traverse built-up communities, with enormous increases in cost and the difficulties of demolition or relocation of homes and businesses.
One version of the LIE even had rail running down the center but Robert Moses didn't like that idea, didn't fit his vision. Imagine an LIE with rail and fewer cars funneling into a 1940's era tunnel and then being dumped out on 37th.

Then you have the Sunrise Expressway (Highway) which ran into the same issues as the LIE but with less support than Moses gave the LIE.

So many possibilities for the Island if Robert Moses wasn't in control after WWII.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:14 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,154,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
And the irony is that Americans want their cheaper goods and services even if it's eventually at the expense of their own jobs.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
How did the Carolina's rate

Old 08-03-2013, 05:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,749,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayesSC View Post
Food can be replaced. When I lived in California, I substituted Mexican food for pizza, bagels, and delis, and was amazed by how good it was. I've also never seen such fresh produce in my life. The same goes for a few other areas I've lived in. Yes, you eventually miss NY specialities, but it's not a dealbreaker.

As an expat who's been able to make a good living both on LI and in other parts of the country, I should point out that I'm an expat who CAME BACK.

Why? Because no matter how much I complain about LI and genuinely dislike it (I do), I cannot replace my friends and family. I've tried to "get a life going" on the west coast, and even though I lasted for several years and made tons of lifelong friends, I found it emotionally and psychologically impossible to come to terms with the fact that my mother, my siblings, and my lifelong friends were now peripheral people that I'd see on Facebook, talk to on the phone, and see once per year in person.

Some people can adapt to this. I could not, and so I came back.
My family retired south, followed by my only sibling and her husband, and grandmother. Even if our business didn't tie us to LI, I doubt I would have pressed my husband to follow them south. I love and miss my family, but would rather a colder climate.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:18 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,875,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
NYC doesn't send jobs upstate either. The exodus of jobs is related to the costs of doing business in this state and the general loss of jobs in this country overall.
I think what clarkstreet meant was why couldn't LI at least catch some of the runoff jobs that left Manhattan but needed to stay closeby, at least for the time being. Despite its touted proximity to "the greatest city on earth", LI has nothing to the magnitude of Exchange Place, Prudential or Stamford. You would have thought that LI could have easily produced something similar given its location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island