Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 AM

19,233 posts, read 17,110,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Had Carvel recently and thought it was awful, I think my body has adjusted to Dairy Queen now.
Concure, we just went the other night for the first time in forever. Not worth the price I will stick to Gelati Celstini.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 AM

289 posts, read 399,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebarnes1965 View Post
Gone from LI 20 yrs and still homesick! Mostly, I miss my fellow LI'ers. They say New Yorkers are nasty and pushy? Never! Com paired to this hell hole I now live in. I miss a good full set of teeth, personalities, wearing makeup just to go to the store, I miss the 10 minute drive to the beach, any beach! I miss never being bored, I miss the Italian Feasts, Carvel, hi heels, clubs, dancing! Oh, how I miss dancing and block parties, and yard sales that start at 12 and end at 5 on Sat & Sun! I miss Catholics, Irish & Italians. I miss the big hair ladies at the beauty salons getting their hair dyed shoe black! I miss it all, if given the chance, I'd be back in a flash, if only I could afford to even think about it! I miss u Long Island! I'll be back one day!
I'm sorry the move to Massapequa hasn't been good

Old 08-02-2013, 07:52 AM

119 posts, read 207,133 times
I am still waiting for something I really HATE about where we now live-- Cary NC. I guess I am not thrilled with how conservative the current state governement is, but I vote.... I would be happy if I could find a good Italian deli nearby. butotherwise I am very happy. We could never have bought a decent home for 250k anywhere in the NY metro area and had a good commute to my job (which was then in Manhattan--- but now is 8 mins by car from our home in NC)

Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,765,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
LOL @ Carvel. I just returned from my first visit to LI in 4 years. It was nice to be back I must admit but I went to Carvel and a small cone was 5 bucks. The night before someone tried to rob the store and the employees barricaded him inside and the dude busted out the window! It was still boarded up; I wanted to ask if the cones were $5 to pay for the new window.

In any event, this thread is about what we don't like about our adopted home and I don't bash my hometown. If I had to pick something else I don't like here it's the drivers (obviously LOL). The thing is, after 8 years I am now one of them. I enjoy cruising along with at least 2 car lengths between me and the next guy. I let people cut in front of me all the time. I drive Texas friendly most of the time but today some guy peeved me off so bad he actually pulled over to let me pass him. I still got it y'all.
Find a Ralph's with a soft-serve machine... $1.99 w/coupon and they really heap it on!

I know too well what you mean by 2 car lengths... I drive 'Utah' friendly even when back on LI. The only unnerving thing about Utah traffic is the way traffic goes from 60-0 mph in an instant on the interstate and you watch the cars running on to the shoulder to avoid hitting the guy in front, in your rear view mirror.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:47 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,956,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Concure, we just went the other night for the first time in forever. Not worth the price I will stick to Gelati Celstini.
Everyday of the week and twice on Sunday

Old 08-02-2013, 09:56 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,956,135 times
Angry EX LIers: what DON'T you like about your new location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Instead of worrying about what other people are posting... Worry about your own life...

All day trying to catch posters in lies is time consuming, tiresome , boring and shows what kind of meaningless life you most live..

For example I post things from years ago and you assume nothing about my life has changed over the last several years.. My life is far from stagnant as yours appears to be..

My life constantly changes,residence,business, cars, vacation and investment properties,start ups, partners, goals,objectives all change.

Please keep this in mind when you quote a post from several years ago, thanks in advance ! Now go and catch some posts you believe are B.S. thanks again!

Maybe if you had kids or a hobby,things would be different... I don't know don't care! But please stay off my junk!

Last edited by BigMike50; 08-02-2013 at 10:15 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
LOL, so much irony in that post.

I always like Carvel ice cream, but it doesn't like me. Used to work with a guy whose uncle was a regional manager, he said when the stores are clean it's all good, but when they're not it's ugly. Gave me a list to avoid and it included one where my sister, 7 months pregnant with twins, had some ice cream the week a hepatitis scare forced her to get a prophylactic shot. Thanks dirty Carvel employee!

Good times, good times.
It's almost as if that's a problem endemic to food service in general and not a unique problem with Carvel as if they have especially lax hiring requirements or inherently toxic food.

I've noticed a bit of a trend in this thread and others of people kvetching about Long Island as if NYC didn't exist and isn't the real reason Long Island exists in the first place. If your life is so provincial that you think the franchise eatery down the block is the only place to get good food, ignoring the massive city a mere 20 miles away that offers the pinnacle of cuisine in our country, I can see why you're just as happy in East Jesus.

It's something peculiar to Long Island. Case in point, I lived in New Orleans for some time, a bit before Katrina. New Orleans has sprawling suburbs surrounding it not dissimilar from New York City. The people who lived in these suburbs were generally white, middle and upper class types who originally fled to avoid the scary minorities in the city, and promptly erected the same malls, TGI Fridays, and Applebee's restaurants that lame white people like here. Their lifestyles weren't much different from Long Islanders, but if you asked them where they were from, they proudly said "New Orleans". They knew that Metairie and Kenner were suburbs of the city they loved, not an independent area striving to break free from the shackles of its urban neighbor.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:58 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,150,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I've noticed a bit of a trend in this thread and others of people kvetching about Long Island as if NYC didn't exist and isn't the real reason Long Island exists in the first place.
NYC is not the real reason Long Island exists in the first place. What whacked out version of history have you learned? In many ways NYC is possibly one of the things holding Long Island back by acting as a giant plug at the Western end of an Island that was once a producer of agriculture, fishing and aerospace.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:14 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
NYC is not the real reason Long Island exists in the first place. What whacked out version of history have you learned? In many ways NYC is possibly one of the things holding Long Island back by acting as a giant plug at the Western end of an Island that was once a producer of agriculture, fishing and aerospace.
Huh? Long Island was a rural area with nothing but farms, only accessible via boat, until the LIRR and Robert Moses helped transform it into suburbs. If LI was just hanging off the side of North Carolina do you think it would be what it is today, or just another barrier island?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
It's almost as if that's a problem endemic to food service in general and not a unique problem with Carvel as if they have especially lax hiring requirements or inherently toxic food.

I've noticed a bit of a trend in this thread and others of people kvetching about Long Island as if NYC didn't exist and isn't the real reason Long Island exists in the first place. If your life is so provincial that you think the franchise eatery down the block is the only place to get good food, ignoring the massive city a mere 20 miles away that offers the pinnacle of cuisine in our country, I can see why you're just as happy in East Jesus.

It's something peculiar to Long Island. Case in point, I lived in New Orleans for some time, a bit before Katrina. New Orleans has sprawling suburbs surrounding it not dissimilar from New York City. The people who lived in these suburbs were generally white, middle and upper class types who originally fled to avoid the scary minorities in the city, and promptly erected the same malls, TGI Fridays, and Applebee's restaurants that lame white people like here. Their lifestyles weren't much different from Long Islanders, but if you asked them where they were from, they proudly said "New Orleans". They knew that Metairie and Kenner were suburbs of the city they loved, not an independent area striving to break free from the shackles of its urban neighbor.
I would love to listen to you're dinner conversation at home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island