Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
What??? I'm not a guy...
It's right below your username too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 06:33 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,772,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
For all that have moved away from Long Island. If you had to do it over again would you still move. If yes would you have still moved to the same place. Do you feel you're children's QOL improved or decreased? Are you much happier with your new home or the one you left?
Yes, without a doubt. The only thing I miss is a Diner with the 16 page menus.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,737,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I opened the thread with plans to reply and this jumped out... it's funny how these items are typical misconceptions of life off LI and what many perceive or assume to be true. #3 is incredible in that you'd think there wasn't anyone successful in any field unless they came from LI... which we all know is a complete farce. The locals in Hempstead and Shirley are so sophisticated. and #7 is great - junked cars and couches out front when it comes to LI property is rampant. In fact, you'll see it more on LI because there's no HOA to prevent it.

Good food, good entertainment, good jobs, and hub airports all exist outside the NYC metro... and honestly it's been hotter on LI this Summer.

What most people will miss is friends and family... and when that gets in your head you find all sorts of other reasons to hate it. Relocations fail when people are not prepared for that part.
Or perhaps these are all rationalizations to mask the fact that the move to Bumpkinville -- even with its much lower living costs -- isn't really all that it's cracked up to be.

Seriously, I agree with the friends and family argument. I also think it depends on the person and their stage in life. If you've lived in Suffolk all your life and you think that NYC is some faraway land, then you probably will do better somewhere else. OTOH, if you want Broadway, the very finest and innovative food, lots of culture and other cutting-edge brain stimulation, then you're not going to match all of that in places like Charlotte or Atlanta.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:04 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,150,537 times
Please keep believing that and stay on the Island. Please.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM

Let me add that some of the ex-pats feel the need to justify their move to another part of the country because of the expense and hassle. It's called post-purchase rationalization, where you gloss over faults and mistakes to justify your decision (i.e., "The community theater here is just as good as Broadway.").

At least the Long Islanders acknowledge that there are benefits to living elsewhere and there's a lot to complain about when it comes to life on the Island. As for the ex-pats, well, they've just moved to the land of milk and honey, and no one's going to tell them otherwise.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:38 PM

19,233 posts, read 17,110,766 times
/\

It would seem that for you proximity to the real culture that is NYC is a priority for you thats fine. But it is probally safe to say that when someone does leave economics / job obligation are a driving force. Whatever the reason they seem to try and look at the positive that their new home provides. I would guess that many do not partake in what NYC affords, unless company comes and therefore survive quite well without it. As previously stated it is probally best if you don't relocate because your view of living ends at the Hudson River...

Old 07-29-2013, 08:07 PM

38 posts, read 76,595 times
Food can be replaced. When I lived in California, I substituted Mexican food for pizza, bagels, and delis, and was amazed by how good it was. I've also never seen such fresh produce in my life. The same goes for a few other areas I've lived in. Yes, you eventually miss NY specialities, but it's not a dealbreaker.

As an expat who's been able to make a good living both on LI and in other parts of the country, I should point out that I'm an expat who CAME BACK.

Why? Because no matter how much I complain about LI and genuinely dislike it (I do), I cannot replace my friends and family. I've tried to "get a life going" on the west coast, and even though I lasted for several years and made tons of lifelong friends, I found it emotionally and psychologically impossible to come to terms with the fact that my mother, my siblings, and my lifelong friends were now peripheral people that I'd see on Facebook, talk to on the phone, and see once per year in person.

Some people can adapt to this. I could not, and so I came back.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayesSC View Post
Food can be replaced. When I lived in California, I substituted Mexican food for pizza, bagels, and delis, and was amazed by how good it was. I've also never seen such fresh produce in my life. The same goes for a few other areas I've lived in. Yes, you eventually miss NY specialities, but it's not a dealbreaker.

As an expat who's been able to make a good living both on LI and in other parts of the country, I should point out that I'm an expat who CAME BACK.

Why? Because no matter how much I complain about LI and genuinely dislike it (I do), I cannot replace my friends and family. I've tried to "get a life going" on the west coast, and even though I lasted for several years and made tons of lifelong friends, I found it emotionally and psychologically impossible to come to terms with the fact that my mother, my siblings, and my lifelong friends were now peripheral people that I'd see on Facebook, talk to on the phone, and see once per year in person.

Some people can adapt to this. I could not, and so I came back.
This may be the best post on this thread because of the family thing. Of course, food can be replaced if you move to a sophisticated place such as California. If it's Arkansas, well . . . not so much.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,150,537 times
You'd be surprised

Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,031,415 times
We made a 90 degree move from Long Island to Upsate NY. Love LI, love the food, especially the carbs - bagels, pizza, bakeries. Loved the schools, definitely the parks and beaches. Only complaint was the commute for work in to the city. Close to 2 1/2 hours each way door to door. Railroad or Parkway, both suck. 5 hours of commuting every day is a killer. I transferred up here and my home to work time is just over 20 minutes - but I'm also not commuting in to the city every day either. I still go in to the city on weekends often enough, and it takes the same 2-2 1/2 hours but I live more than twice as far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island