Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:37 PM

289 posts, read 400,115 times

Advertisements

For all that have moved away from Long Island. If you had to do it over again would you still move. If yes would you have still moved to the same place. Do you feel you're children's QOL improved or decreased? Are you much happier with your new home or the one you left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,850,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
For all that have moved away from Long Island. If you had to do it over again would you still move. If yes would you have still moved to the same place. Do you feel you're children's QOL improved or decreased? Are you much happier with your new home or the one you left?
Yes...times infinity.

good and reasonable questions BTW.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 PM

715 posts, read 1,235,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
I would. I discovered a lot of things about myself. I was able to go to school and live on the other side of the country without any family nearby. I felt independent for the first time and it was a really great learning experience. I feel lucky that I got to do this.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:31 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,037,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
There is so much more here than pizza and bagels. I really feel bad for people who think thats all thats good here. I love LI. Besides the abundance of things here that I enjoy, it's really the people that keep me here. Yes there are people like the LI Princesses lol but that exists everywhere. But the majority of people here are really great.

What I like about here as opposed to the south is that I find people to be more accepting in general. There's a reason the majority of states that allow gay marriage are northern states. I found southerners to be kind of unaccepting. Thats the main thing I didnt like about living in NC. I also find it to be very bible-belty in your face preachy-preachy. I like that on LI no one really shoves religion in your face.

The mall opened at 1pm on Sunday in Charlotte bc of church. That is ridiculous!! Just bc others go to church religiously, doesnt mean the entire city does.
Life is what you make of it... you've preached this yourself in thread after thread.

There are great people everywhere - and I'll let you in on a little secret... people are people. NY, NC... Australia... Mexico. Once you get older you realize this - nobody is "better" or "special" because of where they were raised... or how much money they have... or how nice their things are... or how close they are to a beach or a city. But if it's that important to you and you want to generalize that's fine - we can do that... I can tell you I had neighbors on LI who spent the entire time I lived next to them pretending not to see me so they didn't have to talk to me... they wouldn't give me the time of day. Commuting every day into Manhattan saw the best of them willing to run over me so they can get a seat on a train or get to wherever they're going 90 seconds sooner... most importantly getting in front of me. Downstaters in general are far more prejudice and rude than the people I know from other areas of the country... yet you insist that it's the people. What people are you referring to? I find some people who transplant from LI are shocked and insulted because too many people talk to them and engage them in conversation in other areas of the country - they much prefer to be "left alone like in NY".

Carrying the generalization further - the biggest issue I find with native Southerners is that overt sarcasm can get lost in translation... they are in general far more passive aggressive, so when your typical city folk get up in their grill with outright sarcasm, they sometimes don't immediately get it. They're often taken aback and put on the defensive. However, once you get past this - they think just like we do... they joke like us... the things that are important to us in raising a family are just as important to them. They are people like we're people.

Finally, the religion thing is in the past... I'm a part time catholic like I was on LI. Going through the motions like so many of LIers - baptizing our kids and talking about God when it fit the moment. LIers can be religious and many are... Religion has its role in society - it can help give a moral compass to a kid, it can help someone get through a tough time... That said, it's not really important to me and in the years I've lived down here it has never even remotely been an issue. No one has invited us to their church or given me a second glance about our choice. But I respect that it is important to some... there's nothing wrong with it. Live and let live. Nobody shoves it in my face - thatt's a misconception. With regard to the mall... seriously, what do I need on Sunday morning at the mall... I'd rather sleep in and make pancakes for the kids. If that's your biggest complaint, so be it. But in the end, you seem to know how far superior the Southpark mall and area is to any mall and surrounding area on LI. It's beautiful - just go after 1pm on Sunday.

In the end, your die hard love of "the island" is no different than anybody anywhere loving where they choose to live. It is what you make of it, not because it's LI. It could be anywhere.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM

289 posts, read 400,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
I would. I discovered a lot of things about myself. I was able to go to school and live on the other side of the country without any family nearby. I felt independent for the first time and it was a really great learning experience. I feel lucky that I got to do this.
That is outstanding.This is a great testimonial.I hope you continue you're success.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,813,736 times
We are just gone a year. But my 13 year old says Pittsburgh would be absolutely perfect if our friends moved here too.

Other than our small circle of friends that we miss lots, there really isnt much we miss. Dh misses his job, the fact that we always had some green in our pockets. But he loves it here.He has been able to take a year off work, and in a few weeks heads back to school. Even community school here is cheaper than NY.
Would we do it again ; in a heartbeat. My kids are just so so happy in their school, cant wait to go back in a month ; did you ever hear of teenagers who are dying to go back to school? I am sorry that we didnt do it sooner.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,782,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogAdvice View Post
Well I lived in Florida for a few years before moving back to NY, so I will add my biggest complaint from then:

1) fire ants, alligators, snakes, aggressive bees, worms, foot fungus -- in a place where you want to go barefoot or wear open toes shoes, all of a sudden you don't want to.

2) waterspouts and tornadoes

3) some housing more poorly constructed

4) poor public transportation, few walkable downtowns

5) everyone brags about living near the beach, but rarely goes

6) a lot of people are fat because they hide in air conditioning inside because its too hot out to do anything outdoors for half of the year and they already had skin cancer once

That said, I wouldn't mind owning a condo in FL which I could visit during the year.
lol so true! As another person who escaped FL I concur with all your points. Especially being trapped inside all summer from that brutal heat. I like FL much better now just visiting my family down there a few times a year.

Oh and you forgot hurricanes, I will never forget 2004 and getting slammed with 2 in a row!

Old 07-27-2013, 03:13 AM

825 posts, read 1,035,644 times
I find that a lot of what I miss is the nostalgic Long Island, when I was a kid. It isn't that place any more. I miss some of the people, of course but I find myself less and less interested in Long Island today.
-Pizza on LI is nice, but Naples is so much better
-Bagels are overrated, too many carbs.
-Delis are one thing that cannot be replicated outside NY and I do miss them
Other than that, LI is a overcrowded island full of rude people, horrible cops, and way too much traffic.

It isn't the only travel hub in the world either, folks. And JFK is an embarrassingly bad airport.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:42 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,825,151 times
The only thing I can't get here -- after 44 years away -- is fresh bluefish. I still miss that.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,120,426 times
My dad told me before I moved that there is no place perfect, and he's absolutely right.

I wish this place got a bit more than 9" of annual precipitation per year, but then again, we wouldn't have the low humidity here then.

I miss my house and property on LI - I still own it. I can't stand the politics and the poor return on tax dollars spent. The weather, I was just reminded, I don't miss either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island