Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 PM

45 posts, read 79,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
Yes you are correct but you have forgotten to add this part. The father is working a lot of hrs at his job. He has two or three jobs. He never see's his family. Before he knows it his kids are teenagers , he does not know his children. Now they are teenagers and don't want anything to do with him. Great living on one salary on Long Island. At least they grew up with the best bagels and pizza. I love NY but don't make it sound so easy to live on one salary.
OMG no one can afford to live here we are all living paycheck to paycheck, ie Im not making it so I don't understand how anyone does they must be crappy parents serves them right for lusting after money and making things more expensive for me they will get theirs when their kids hate them/become drug addicts/ live in the basement until they are 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 07:17 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,894,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Not everyone without kids wants to live in the city. Before I had a kid I still wanted a house in the suburbs with a backyard and space, I dont live out here "just for the kids". I enjoy visiting the city often but never had any desire to live there. Everybody is different.
I agree. I grew up here and like the green grass everywhere and being able to drive anywhere I want. I really dislike the concrete jungle thing - does not feel like home (even though I was born and partially raised in Queens). We bought our starter home on LI before 25 and didn't have kids till 6 years later.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:38 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The first is the worst, but Cleveland and Pittsburgh are nice cities.
Bahaha

Old 08-01-2013, 09:39 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,150,537 times
Excuse me Interlude, are you an Ex-Pat or Ex-LIer? If not please stay to topics for current Long Island residents.

Thank You

Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,985 times
Damn kids come on my lawn, throw dog poop on it, and then tell me not to pick it up!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:47 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,765,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Is this long island specific or can it be said that times are tough for the young nationwide?
Actually, it's not necessarily LI specific. But the very high property taxes cause a chain reaction of economic events... such as...

-private business no longer finds LI a cost-effective home. Many well-paying private sector jobs leave.
-with taxes so high, it costs a fortune to run a farm or factory. Nothing is produced on LI any more. Everything is usually trucked in, adding stress to the already over-burdened infrastructure. As fuel and toll prices increase, so do the prices of the trucked-in goods.
-while private sector labor is well under paid given the cost of living on LI, public sector jobs have comparatively luxurious benefits, pensions and generally higher levels of job security. These jobs are funded by, yes you got it, property tax revenue. Property tax is the primary revenue model for LI's public sector.

If you compare LI to Salt Lake City, which is experiencing much more robust economic growth, you'll find more jobs that may not pay as well as NYC, but your property taxes are much lower as is the cost of most everything you buy. And unlike NYC, commutes to SLC from the 'burbs are more like 20 mins, with 30-40 mins being the extreme. On LI, it's not uncommon to find people spending 90 minutes to get to the office and then another 90 mins on the way home. The salary differential is no longer that different to justify the crazy commute either... the economic growth in SLC is pushing salaries up as demand rises. And with such New York luminaries as Goldman Sachs and American Express now calling SLC their western home (actually Amex has been here for years), there's even more upward pressure on salaries. Unfortunately, we cannot make the same claims for LI.

So, young people should head to Austin, Salt Lake City, San Fran or Seattle... you'll not find incredibly affordable housing (all of these cities have real estate markets rising far faster than LI's) but there will be jobs and activities other than hour+ commutes.

Last edited by bubbathedog; 08-01-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 PM

7,946 posts, read 9,167,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Actually, it's not necessarily LI specific. But the very high property taxes cause a chain reaction of economic events... such as...

-private business no longer finds LI a cost-effective home. Many well-paying private sector jobs leave.
-with taxes so high, it costs a fortune to run a farm or factory. Nothing is produced on LI any more. Everything is usually trucked in, adding stress to the already over-burdened infrastructure. As fuel and toll prices increase, so do the prices of the trucked-in goods.
-while private sector labor is well under paid given the cost of living on LI, public sector jobs have comparatively luxurious benefits, pensions and generally higher levels of job security. These jobs are funded by, yes you got it, property tax revenue. Property tax is the primary revenue model for LI's public sector.

If you compare LI to Salt Lake City, which is experiencing much more robust economic growth, you'll find more jobs that may not pay as well as NYC, but your property taxes are much lower as is the cost of most everything you buy. And unlike NYC, commutes to SLC from the 'burbs are more like 20 mins, with 30-40 mins being the extreme. On LI, it's not uncommon to find people spending 90 minutes to get to the office and then another 90 mins on the way home. The salary differential is no longer that different to justify the crazy commute either... the economic growth in SLC is pushing salaries up as demand rises. And with such New York luminaries as Goldman Sachs and American Express now calling SLC their western home (actually Amex has been here for years), there's even more upward pressure on salaries. Unfortunately, we cannot make the same claims for LI.

So, young people should head to Austin, Salt Lake City, San Fran or Seattle... you'll not find incredibly affordable housing (all of these cities have real estate markets rising far faster than LI's) but there will be jobs and activities other than hour+ commutes.
Not denying the high COL in our region, but SF is ranked 4th most expensive place to live in the US.

10 Most Expensive Places to Live in the U.S. - Yahoo! Finance

Old 08-01-2013, 06:46 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,777,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post

San Fran and Seattle?? Are you kidding? Are you aware how expensive it is there (san fran) and how many, that work there endure very long commutes because of how expensive it is to live anywhere near the city??

Old 08-01-2013, 07:20 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,892,142 times
He moved to SLC. now we are supposed to be jealous...

Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,765,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
He moved to SLC. now we are supposed to be jealous...
Very good! Frankly I don't care whether you're jealous or not. In fact, I'd prefer fewer people move here. It's called the draw bridge principle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island