Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,759 times

Advertisements

preferably upstate, Poughkeepsie might be an option too, some areas might be little expensive but not as expensive as Long Island, if you plan on checking out the area I would check out the suburbs, stay out of the city it's a dump and has higher crime, LaGrange is a nice suburb, I don't know how the schools are so I can't help you on that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
Yes it is a Master in Public Health- with a concentration in EPI mostly. I am doing a healthcare personnel influenza surveillance program now for example as part of my internship .

DH is a nurse but he works in legal and nursing, he does compliance, contracts, and deals with regulations- he is not a hospital type of nurse. He would need employment that is at managerial/director level in similar field, i dont know what the options are for this upstate.

Any input on the salary differential between LI and Albany area? For example are we talking that 100k on Long Island is worth 50-60k in Albany? because then it would clearly not be worth it.
That's always the catch ... many times low COL areas have low pay to match.

Did you post a similar question on the Albany forum?

You should also post a general question about "where to move" on the general NY forum and get some ideas from actual upstaters. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM

20,951 posts, read 28,477,125 times
I also agree about checking out area's in upstate NY

Old 09-22-2013, 05:49 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,214,212 times
Quote:
Yes it is a Master in Public Health- with a concentration in EPI mostly. I am doing a healthcare personnel influenza surveillance program now for example as part of my internship .

DH is a nurse but he works in legal and nursing, he does compliance, contracts, and deals with regulations- he is not a hospital type of nurse. He would need employment that is at managerial/director level in similar field, i dont know what the options are for this upstate.

Any input on the salary differential between LI and Albany area? For example are we talking that 100k on Long Island is worth 50-60k in Albany? because then it would clearly not be worth it.
Buffalo and Albany have major medical centers: ECMCC in Buffalo and Albany Med in Albany as well as other private hospitals in the area. I think Syracuse has the Upstate Medical Center which is associated with either Syracuse University or Cornell. Albany is the center of state government which may have positions for your husband, most notably in the Dept of Health, OMRDD, and Mental Health.

I don't think that the salaries for experienced medical/health care staff are only 50-60% of LI, probably more like 70-80% but that's just my guess. It probably varies by job title. The cost of housing, however, is easily only 50-60%, and in the Buffalo area, much much less. $500-600k pretty much puts you at the very top of the market, and even $150k can get you a decent home in nice neighborhoods, in the city or in the nearby suburbs.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:28 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,540,851 times
Quote:

No. We are not talking about a difference of 50 or 60 thousand dollars. There are NO HOMES that you would like, in areas that you would enjoy that have other well educated professionals for much less than around 500K. Perhaps, the mid 400s.

Home in Long Island areas in the 300s are not in communities where you will feel comfortable or be welcomed. The taxes are exorbitant although the schools are not well thought of in that price range.
I will admit that with a few notable exceptions, a bad school on Long Island is probably better than an average school almost everywhere else. However, I can tell that you would not enjoy living in the less expensive parts of Long Island.

You would fit well in the area that I left Stony Brook, Setauket, East Setauket (Three Village School District) or near by Port Jefferson. (not Port Jefferson Station)
The homes in each of these communities are nice and the area is scenic and historic.

However, and average house in those areas, what would be thought of as a starter house in most areas, a house like a Cape Cod or a 3 bedroom ranch will be in the 400s or more.

My taxes there started at 12,000 and went up to 19,000 per year, over a period of eight years.

These communities are in Suffolk County, on the North Shore. Nassau County is more expensive than Suffolk because it's closer to NYC.

It all seemed normal to me - the crazy prices and the taxes. I grew up there and honestly it was all I knew. If I knew then what I know now, I would have left 25 years ago.

If I were you, I'd look upstate.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:28 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,749,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Buffalo and Albany have major medical centers: ECMCC in Buffalo and Albany Med in Albany as well as other private hospitals in the area. I think Syracuse has the Upstate Medical Center which is associated with either Syracuse University or Cornell. Albany is the center of state government which may have positions for your husband, most notably in the Dept of Health, OMRDD, and Mental Health.

I don't think that the salaries for experienced medical/health care staff are only 50-60% of LI, probably more like 70-80% but that's just my guess. It probably varies by job title. The cost of housing, however, is easily only 50-60%, and in the Buffalo area, much much less. $500-600k pretty much puts you at the very top of the market, and even $150k can get you a decent home in nice neighborhoods, in the city or in the nearby suburbs.
Good info. The OP didn't mention children, but it might be helpful to include some of the good school districts outside the areas you've suggested.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 AM

791 posts, read 1,624,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Good info. The OP didn't mention children, but it might be helpful to include some of the good school districts outside the areas you've suggested.
There are tons of threads on the boards for those areas about school districts - I found the Albany board really helpful when I was researching a possible relocation.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 AM

355 posts, read 869,932 times
Buffalo or Rochester would be my suggestions for in-state relocation. Both have a much lower cost of living than downstate. Winters are harsher but the municipalities are equipped to handle it.

For employment in Buffalo try Kaleida. In Rochester, try Unity.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:54 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,749,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
There are tons of threads on the boards for those areas about school districts - I found the Albany board really helpful when I was researching a possible relocation.
If a person is completely unfamiliar with an area, it doesn't hurt to give them a little guidance. You could have written something helpful like look into Niskayuna or stay away from Troy. Or even linked one of those 'tons of threads' you've mentioned. When you first looked into relocating, did you find wading through 'tons of threads' a little daunting and/or time consuming?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 PM

791 posts, read 1,624,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If a person is completely unfamiliar with an area, it doesn't hurt to give them a little guidance. You could have written something helpful like look into Niskayuna or stay away from Troy. Or even linked one of those 'tons of threads' you've mentioned. When you first looked into relocating, did you find wading through 'tons of threads' a little daunting and/or time consuming?
Not really, no. I searched "good schools Albany" using the board's search function and found everything I needed in a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island