Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:27 PM

198 posts, read 779,883 times

Advertisements

We have no ties to LI(besides DHs work). Can not afford this place.

Family is in FL and CA- not places we want to go to. THe part of CA we can not afford, the part of FL we do not want.

DH licensure is tied to NY state and we do not want to throw that away. He works in home care so a place with good home care employment would be good. (by licensure i mean admission to NY state bar and RN)

we do not know where to go to have a normal family life that is affordable with good schools? We just do not know the state that well. We are thinking somewhere upstate? I am finishing up a MPH degree Albany is probably ideal but we dont know enough about that place either. Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 10:38 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,465,923 times
If you know you can't afford LI wouldn't you be better posting this in any of the other NY forums (with the exception of LI, NYC and Westchester)? Those people could probably give you a better idea of COL and salaries for your husband's profession.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:59 AM

703 posts, read 1,176,014 times
Check out this thread, it is old but has good info:

HELP! Best towns in Upstate NY to move to?

Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 AM

246 posts, read 471,677 times
suggest moving this to the general NY forum.

That said, besides schools and cost of living, you mention having family in CA and FL. Suggest perhaps you consider being within an hour of a good airport if you visit or want to travel often.

Just another consideration...

Old 09-21-2013, 11:06 AM

22,693 posts, read 36,880,576 times
If you're interested in the Albany area, there are plenty of nice places to live and plenty to do up there as well. One popular area is between Albany and Saratoga - right after I left State Farm they moved a bunch of people up there and everyone jumped at the chance (it was also the height of the market here so people made a ton of money on their house sale here) - but everyone was happy they made the move (they kept their downstate salaries too).

If you can live with the winters, that's probably your best bet (although they aren't as harsh as Syracuse or Buffalo).

You should post on the upstate forum.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:58 AM

791 posts, read 1,625,620 times
I'd definitely relocate to the Albany area. The actual city of Albany has been re-vitalized in recent years - lots of shiny new businesses, farmers markets, some arts stuff, etc., at least in the more central part of the city (near the state buildings). When I was researching last spring, there seemed to be a lot of neighborhoods in commuting distance to the city with decent-to-good schools where reasonable homes (3bdr, 1.5 bath, updated but not necessarily brand-new) could be had for under $200K. Winters are colder than here, obviously, but it's not Minnesota cold, and the spring and summer are quite pretty.

I have a colleague in the Rochester area who has nothing but wonderful things to say about that area as well (and also, lower COL there than in Albany), but I think the Rochester winter would be too much for me personally. If you can hack the winter, that might be a good option too.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:06 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,219,547 times
What is MPH? Masters in Public Health?

If one of you is an RN, you can have your pick of any place Upstate. Most areas have nursing shortages.

Admission to the bar says "attorney", and that will likely be a tougher find than the nursing.

However, the Upstate job picture is not nearly as bleak as many whiners make it seem. Manufacturing continues to bleed but there are many white collar and technical jobs available. Because the population is a bit less than the NYC metro but spread out over a much, much larger area, the jobs are spread out, too. Buffalo is the biggest Upstate metro, and it's only about 1 million.

You can't realistically expect NYC/LI salaries in Upstate, but the COL is significantly lower, too. Generally, Upstate NY has salaries and COL at about the national average. In any of the big Upstate Metros, you can find nice homes in suburban areas with good schools in the $200,000-300,000 range. In the smaller cities, you can find very nice homes for less, sometimes much less.

There's at least one recent thread on both the Albany and the Buffalo forums about people looking to move to those metros. I'm sure there are ones on the Rochester and Syracuse forums as well. Also, there are a couple on the general NYS forum where there's discussion of moving to some of the smaller places in NYS like Ithaca or the Finger Lakes, etc.

Good luck.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:47 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,242,993 times
I'd say if you want a "low cost of living" that you should avoid Long Island. Even if you manage to purchase an inexpensive house, your taxes will be horribly high and the area won't be so good.

I'd agree with those who recommended upstate NY. I don't know anything about the schools, but Livingston Manor is reasonable and pretty. It's in the lower Catskills.

Further west are towns like Greenwood Lake and Florida. That area seems very quaint and it boarders northern New Jersey.

I am sure there are nice suburbs outside of many cities upstate. The only one that I'm familiar with is New Hartford NY, a suburb of Utica. The schools there are top notch. Very low COL.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 PM

198 posts, read 779,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What is MPH? Masters in Public Health?

If one of you is an RN, you can have your pick of any place Upstate. Most areas have nursing shortages.

Admission to the bar says "attorney", and that will likely be a tougher find than the nursing.

However, the Upstate job picture is not nearly as bleak as many whiners make it seem. Manufacturing continues to bleed but there are many white collar and technical jobs available. Because the population is a bit less than the NYC metro but spread out over a much, much larger area, the jobs are spread out, too. Buffalo is the biggest Upstate metro, and it's only about 1 million.

You can't realistically expect NYC/LI salaries in Upstate, but the COL is significantly lower, too. Generally, Upstate NY has salaries and COL at about the national average. In any of the big Upstate Metros, you can find nice homes in suburban areas with good schools in the $200,000-300,000 range. In the smaller cities, you can find very nice homes for less, sometimes much less.

There's at least one recent thread on both the Albany and the Buffalo forums about people looking to move to those metros. I'm sure there are ones on the Rochester and Syracuse forums as well. Also, there are a couple on the general NYS forum where there's discussion of moving to some of the smaller places in NYS like Ithaca or the Finger Lakes, etc.

Good luck.
Yes it is a Master in Public Health- with a concentration in EPI mostly. I am doing a healthcare personnel influenza surveillance program now for example as part of my internship .

DH is a nurse but he works in legal and nursing, he does compliance, contracts, and deals with regulations- he is not a hospital type of nurse. He would need employment that is at managerial/director level in similar field, i dont know what the options are for this upstate.

Any input on the salary differential between LI and Albany area? For example are we talking that 100k on Long Island is worth 50-60k in Albany? because then it would clearly not be worth it.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:37 PM

11,657 posts, read 12,744,641 times
Greenwood Lake is very nice, but I'm pretty sure that is in NJ, not NY.

Rochester has a big teaching/research hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island