Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 03:07 AM

106,745 posts, read 108,937,910 times

Advertisements

i can understand that teachers want to be compensatated for having a masters. but they have to remember they also work 1/2 the amount of time the rest of the working world does.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:34 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i can understand that teachers want to be compensatated for having a masters. but they have to remember they also work 1/2 the amount of time the rest of the working world does.
They are just in it for the $. They should pay teachers an hourly rate. Its not about the kids anymore. Sad but true.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:52 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf13624 View Post
Pay teachers 30k a year and see well your children turn out.
Between Common Core and overtesting, no matter what we pay our teachers -- the children will falter. The federal government, Pearson, Gates, are trying to turn public education into a profitable venture. They win, our children lose.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
There are plenty of newly churned out teachers who can't find a job who would gladly take $30K/year. It's better than being unemployed. Let the new unemployed teachers take the overpaid teachers' jobs. And their students will turn out just as well as the overpaid teacher's students.
My niece couldn't land a teaching job on LI -- she didn't know anyone, wasn't related to anyone. She's working in an office to pay off her college loans and plugging away praying for a teaching job.

Meanwhile, at the same time, my SIL's niece landed a 3V elementary teaching job. I need not tell you how many connected people in 3V take care of their own.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:59 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My niece couldn't land a teaching job on LI -- she didn't know anyone, wasn't related to anyone. She's working in an office to pay off her college loans and plugging away praying for a teaching job.

Meanwhile, at the same time, my SIL's niece landed a 3V elementary teaching job. I need not tell you how many connected people in 3V take care of their own.
Typical in ANY field. Its who you know, not so much what you know.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:59 AM

487 posts, read 545,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Perhaps they do have time off, however, there is a lot of prep time that goes in to being a teacher.....at least the ones I know. They put in a lot of time at home, evenings and weekends. It is not only the time they are physically at school. Teaching is definitely more difficult than it was years ago. There is a lot of pressure because of performance on state testing, dealing with the "politics" of the administration and families. I have a friend who is one of the most dedicated teachers I know yet worked in a school with little parental support. A lot of children in her school came from broken homes, many being raised by grandparents, etc. She felt lucky if a handful of families showed up for open school night or parent teacher conferences. After years of this, she was burnt out and left the school. This job is not as easy as it seems.

I agree....school taxes are high ....... however, we are getting what we pay for. Long Island has competitive school districts and people move here for the schools.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:06 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The headline is misleading, it's just a freeze on cost of living increases that are separate from steps.

Most districts have around 15-20 step increases some even more, I am sure their are a few years that some are left out but then there are also longevity, education and other increases. Each can amount increases can amount to 3-4% each per year. Add in the cost of living increases in similar percentages when middle class wages have been stagnant for years and you can see why there is a problem.
Patch article's commentary explains that steps are not the norm in the district - a 4 year freeze is really something especially as it applies to the non-step and highest-earning senior teachers. There appears to be a bit of confusion of steps for salary increases due to accumulating credits in education or subject discipline and steps for longevity raises but that is another issue altogether. Let's not look this gift horse in the mouth and be grateful for this large savings.

Article does not report on administrative reductions (if any), support staff freeze or reductions (if any), administrative freeze (if any), superintendent freeze (if any), class size increases (if any), elective reductions (if any), middle school class period reductions (if any), high school class period reductions (if any), full day kindergarten reductions (if any) and thoughts on in-district school consolidations (if any).

Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 AM

19,230 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
Perhaps they do have time off, however, there is a lot of prep time that goes in to being a teacher.....at least the ones I know. They put in a lot of time at home, evenings and weekends. It is not only the time they are physically at school. Teaching is definitely more difficult than it was years ago. There is a lot of pressure because of performance on state testing, dealing with the "politics" of the administration and families. I have a friend who is one of the most dedicated teachers I know yet worked in a school with little parental support. A lot of children in her school came from broken homes, many being raised by grandparents, etc. She felt lucky if a handful of families showed up for open school night or parent teacher conferences. After years of this, she was burnt out and left the school. This job is not as easy as it seems.

I agree....school taxes are high ....... however, we are getting what we pay for. Long Island has competitive school districts and people move here for the schools.
"Not as easy as it seems" and its not always as difficult as many choose to paint it. Many if not most professionals are working beyond the "work hours" due to the expectations of their careers. Private industry may not have state testing but they have a bottom line and if the $$$ are not there.....

Teachers and their advocates seem to paint themselves as victimized more so than other professions to justify their salaries but somehow "competitive school districts" exist in many other locations at a far more resonable salaries.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:19 AM

57,324 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Patch article's commentary explains that steps are not the norm in the district - a 4 year freeze is really something especially as it applies to the non-step and highest-earning senior teachers. There appears to be a bit of confusion of steps for salary increases due to accumulating credits in education or subject discipline and steps for longevity raises but that is another issue altogether. Let's not look this gift horse in the mouth and be grateful for this large savings.

Article does not report on administrative reductions (if any), support staff freeze or reductions (if any), administrative freeze (if any), superintendent freeze (if any), class size increases (if any), elective reductions (if any), middle school class period reductions (if any), high school class period reductions (if any), full day kindergarten reductions (if any) and thoughts on in-district school consolidations (if any).
I don't question the benefit but a long ways to go, they froze steps for 1 of the 4 years but no cost of living raises. They can still move up the salary scale through education credits or steps (except for one year), do they really need to provide things like longevity credits, are teachers departing really an issue when there are new grads without jobs. Granted you want experienced teachers but this is overkill.

Unfortunately this is where they should have been back in 2009 when the economy started going down, not waiting for 2014.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:22 AM

57,324 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

These salary levels are impacting the budgets to the point where larger class sizes are the norm, hiring new grads would be a win-win for the districts if compensation could be brought to more reasonable levels., instead we have large class sizes and new grads without jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island