Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:38 PM

245 posts, read 298,356 times

Advertisements

I have a drug dealer across the street from my house. All day long, cars pull up. The owner hops in. 10 minutes later, they drive back and the deal is done.

I've called the East Northport cops probably 20 times. 2 of my neighbors say they've called too. They've done nothing. Only when I get really beligerant will they send a copy to simply drive past the house.

Any suggestions? I don't know what I'd rather do - embarrass the lazy cops here or get this guy busted. Given the tax bill I just received, I almost believe I'd rather embarrass the cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 07:17 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Nice neighborhood, celebrate diversity.

How secure is your house?
Does the guy show any signs with being affiliated with a gang?

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 12-19-2007 at 07:36 PM..

Old 12-19-2007, 07:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Northport

Have you considered making video tapes of what's going on across the street from your house and making them available to NEWSDAY and NEWS12?

For those who may not be familiar with East Northport:

East Northport is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Huntington, in the northeast part of Suffolk County, along the Huntington/Smithtown town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Northport in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Village of Northport and the Hamlet of Fort Salonga; on the east by the Hamlet of Fort Salonga and the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Smithtown (the Huntington/Smithtown town line); on the south by the Hamlet of Commack, the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of Greenlawn; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of Centerport.

The Hamlet of East Northport has a different border than does the "East Northport, NY 11731" postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of East Northport and a place can have other than an "East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of East Northport): places that have an "East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of East Northport are in the Hamlet of Greenlawn, the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of Commack; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of East Northport with a "Northport, NY 11768" or a "Commack, NY 11725" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 12-19-2007, 07:42 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Police don't care about small time drug dealers, and if this guy is running in and out of his house all day that's what he is. You can have up to 28 grams of marijuana on you in New York State and get nothing more than a ticket!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:44 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
If you're sure the guy is dealing, then why not call the SCPD Narcotics Squad in Yaphank or Hauppauge?
I know you *think* he's dealing, but you can't be 100% positive. I would be careful of who I accuse of what.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Nice neighborhood, celebrate diversity.

How secure is your house?
Does the guy show any signs with being affiliated with a gang?
What does the white guy dealing drugs across the street to guys in BMWs have to do with diversity?

Can you explain that?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:54 PM

Default I have considered taping.

I have considered taping the activity and posting it on YouTube along with advertising drugs on Craigslist.

I've also threatened the East Northport cops to go to the press, and they laugh, say "go ahead."

Old 12-19-2007, 08:10 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I have considered taping the activity and posting it on YouTube along with advertising drugs on Craigslist.

I've also threatened the East Northport cops to go to the press, and they laugh, say "go ahead."

I hope you have some serious security for your home if you're thinking about pulling something like that.

First of all, you don't know this guy is dealing drugs. You assume he is, but you don't know.

Second, if he IS dealing drugs, you can be assured he's got people bigger than him watching what's going on. He's working for someone and if you get in the way of it, you're going to have problems.

Third, you can be sued big time for accusing someone of dealing drugs, filming them and putting it on YouTube as a drug transaction, and advertising it on Craigs List. Whether he's dealing drugs or not, you can get sued.

If the Northport cops are laughing at you, it's probably because they know more than you and know the guy isn't dealing.

Like I posted earlier, if you truly believe the guy is a dealer, contact the SCPD Narcotics Squad. They are headquartered in Hauppauge or Yaphank. Tell them your suspicions and let them deal with it.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:41 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
What does the white guy dealing drugs across the street to guys in BMWs have to do with diversity?

Can you explain that?
You got something against white guys?

Assuming the guy is a drug dealer...

Helping him advertise his business on Craigslist may just make more problems for you. You may just increase his business and now you're linking yourself to him. Be smart and don't play games.

Quote:
Never threaten people especially cops, as threatening someone does not win them to your side, it tends to make enemies where there wasn't one before and you just look like a shmoe if you don't carry through. It's better to get together with your neighbors, put on some suits and head to the police HQ and discuss the problem without threats. A group of calm respectable looking taxpayers get more attention than individuals who repeatedly call.

You and your neighbors should keep a log of the comings and goings at the house, any incidents and any phone calls. At the guy's busiest times for doing business have neighbors walking the streets. This guy and his customers feel comfortable in your neighborhood, make them uncomfortable by having a presence on your street. You don't even have to confront them as usually making eye contact with the customers and a friendly wave is enough for most people to feel like they've been "ID".

Old 12-19-2007, 09:06 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
East Northport doesn't have their own police, that would be Suffolk County police.

I'd contact your local State Senator or Congressman; we're entering a big election year and they're always happy to score points with the constituents.

A number of years ago I lived in East Northport and one of my neighbors insisted that a house at the end of our street was dealing drugs. I never noticed anything but it drove her crazy. She used to call the police about it all the time. One time when I had a different reason to call the police I asked them about the alleged drug dealer and they said it wasn't true. Apparently there were two high school aged girls living there and there was an endless parade of friends coming and going.

However I don't find it hard to believe that someone would be dealing drugs from a house. The Northport-East Northport school district is struggling with a huge drug problem and it has to come from somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island