Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 01:13 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,113,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Boy, those are crappy.

How about these puppies...

THE RITZ-CARLTON RESIDENCES / North Hills
Hello!!! Nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 01:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,741,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Check this development out. I loved it, gated community...gorgeous. Just right by the Smithhaven mall so it's a busy area. But man, tour some of the homes and they are gorgeous (and extremely pricey!).

The Hamlet At St. James - Holiday Organization
I wouldn't drop that kind of coin in that area. Please don't take this as an insult, but I believe they are targeting the flashy city types who don't know that living across from a mall isn't desirable on LI. They also need to update their website -- the sport complex they mentioned (Sports Plus - an indoor kiddie playground, ice rink and bowling alley which attracted riff raff after dark) has been closed since September or October and will become a Whole Foods market (I am looking forward to that.)

The gated communities further east aren't in such a busy area.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I wouldn't drop that kind of coin in that area. Please don't take this as an insult, but I believe they are targeting the flashy city types who don't know that living across from a mall isn't desirable on LI. They also need to update their website -- the sport complex they mentioned (Sports Plus - an indoor kiddie playground, ice rink and bowling alley which attracted riff raff after dark) has been closed since September or October and will become a Whole Foods market (I am looking forward to that.)

I wouldn't move there either, esp for that kind of $ and living near a mall. But I do think they are nice, that's all.

I can't see who wouldn't realize living across from the mall isn't so desirable.

But then again, look at
Meadowbrook Pointe

This is also right by the Source mall in GC/Westbury. Gorgeous development (expensive with high taxes too boot) but busy area yet many units are sold. So I guess some people like it. If you see the mall right in front of you and you don't realize what you are in for, then you apparently don't mind a busy location. In fact, some people do enjoy being in bustling areas. Not me though.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,741,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I wouldn't move there either, esp for that kind of $ and living near a mall. But I do think they are nice, that's all.

I can't see who wouldn't realize living across from the mall isn't so desirable.

But then again, look at
Meadowbrook Pointe

This is also right by the Source mall in GC/Westbury. Gorgeous development (expensive with high taxes too boot) but busy area yet many units are sold. So I guess some people like it. If you see the mall right in front of you and you don't realize what you are in for, then you apparently don't mind a busy location. In fact, some people do enjoy being in bustling areas. Not me though.

Good points.

I don't understand the increase in gated communities. I recall seeing them in FL 20+ years ago when my then fiancee and I were looking. On LI, they seem to be a relatively new concept.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Good points.

I don't understand the increase in gated communities. I recall seeing them in FL 20+ years ago when my then fiancee and I were looking. On LI, they seem to be a relatively new concept.

If I found one in a location I liked, that had enough property, I would love it.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:22 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,151,936 times
Quote:

Who wants to live in an enclave?

Know who likes gated communities? Drug dealers and other criminals. Since they're private property the local PD can't patrol them.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:48 PM

939 posts, read 1,846,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post

Know who likes gated communities? Drug dealers and other criminals. Since they're private property the local PD can't patrol them.
Not true. Legally, police can go anywhere they need to go. They might not patrol a particular gated community by agreement with the community or for some other reason, but there is no legal impediment to them entering private property. It is a myth that police are not allowed on private property.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post

Drug dealers aren't buying homes in gated communities on LI. In most gated communities on LI homes go for at least 800,000 with taxes that are at least 18,000. I don't care how rich said drug dealer is, they don't need to run from the law to the point that they are buying an exclusive posh home in a gated community. That statement is extremely far fetched (regarding LI's extremely exclusive and limited gated community developments). Maybe drug dealers buy in gated communities in places like NC and FLA where gated communities are a dime a dozen, but not here. Sorry, not buying that one bit.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 03-13-2008 at 06:41 PM..

Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,324,470 times
Default Don't get fleeced like a Sheeple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliswell View Post
No matter how you want to paint it, people are paying ridiculous amounts of money for old, poorly maintained, poorly built, and poorly designed homes on LI. They are in a word ugly and totally not worth the price tags some of them carry.

My shock and dismay was very real. If that offended you I am sorry, that was not my intent. But, I think there is a reality about overvalued homes, taxes, and the overall quality of life on LI for which a fair amount of denial exists. I still don't understand why people pay outrageous amounts for an old, crappy lookin' houses, oddly called "fixers" on LI, and then put up with the tax situation ta boot. Insult to injury.

You must understand that from the outside looking in, it's an insane situation on LI and I can't help but wonder how and why it happened. The average income figures for LI do not support the current housing prices. Seeing what kind of housing conditions people get for the money that they do have disturbs me -- it's not right, it's out of balance, there is something inherently wrong and discordant. There is blind denial.
I agree with you. I also agree with another post where you mention septic systems instead of sewers. Yes, that is disgusting and many houses in Suffolk have cesspools. I live in Nassau where we have sewers.

As for commuting, your husband is going to be working in one of the most congested traffic areas on LI, the Rt. 110 corridor. The highways are crazy over there and rush hour is actually "sit in traffic and burn gas hour." I work in Manhattan because, besides the fact that I make more money there, I do not want to commute by car on LI, as I consider the rush hour traffic too horrible around here. So your husband should test the drive time during rush hour commuting time and he will get an honest estimate.

We are not all in denial. Subprime lending had a lot to do with the real estate bubble on LI and the crazy prices now.

Do not buy anything now! Rent for awhile. If you do want to buy and think a house is too overpriced, offer them $100K less than what they are asking. If you go by the tried and true real estate formula that a home gains 3%-5% in value for every year of home ownership, many houses on LI are easily over $100k overpriced. However, don't be surprised if you buy something and it is worth less next year than what you paid for it. The baby boomers are starting to retire in droves and are looking to sell their houses on LI. As of today, there are over 4,000 more houses for sale on LI than there were last year. The spring buying season hasn't even begun.

Here is the website that truly has the low-down on LI real estate:

What Realtors don't want you to know about Long Island Housing

Be sure and check out the link for the "Bubble Map of LI." The webmaster has set up formulas using up to the second Multiple Listing Service of LI data. You can choose a town from a drop-down box and see examples of overpriced houses and how long they have been on the market and their price drops. Some listings have the last sale date and the price it was bought for. There is also a section further down on the page where you can put in an address and find out what the house was bought for at last sale. Then you plug in the price it was bought for and the year and automatically it will calculate what a residential home should increase in value for (3%-5% each year). It will tell you at the end what is the maximum price you should pay for the home (unless the home has had a lot of work done to it).

Happy house hunting and welcome to LI. Don't get fleeced like a Sheeple! Knowledge is power!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,324,470 times
Default Drug Dealers and Gated Communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Not true. Legally, police can go anywhere they need to go. They might not patrol a particular gated community by agreement with the community or for some other reason, but there is no legal impediment to them entering private property. It is a myth that police are not allowed on private property.
In the Poconos there was a situation with gated communities like that who had their own security and the drug dealers loved it. However, the laws were changed pretty quickly once the honest residents of the gated communities complained when the police wouldn't help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island