Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 09:23 AM

16 posts, read 16,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
What does your Realtor suggest?
I think my search is too wide and ill defined for realtor to be useful at the search stage. If I was focused on a single area, then I would look for a realtor who does business in that area.
Currently I’m using realtor only for touring and offers, and do search myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 10:00 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
There is a name for this and it is cold spring harbor.
Aren't too many houses with water view and walkable to the station.

And I wouldn't walk on Rte 108 if you paid me.

highway access is not fantastic.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:07 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Aren't too many houses with water view and walkable to the station.

And I wouldn't walk on Rte 108 if you paid me.

highway access is not fantastic.
I was wondering the same thing. I rented a house right near the harbor around 20 years ago ans there was no way I was walking to the station. Plus unless things have changed parking after 8am was nonexistent.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:15 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Just curious how you are picking the areas. I would suggest that you consider other things that are important to you to help you narrow the search down further. Personally, I have a cousin that had a gorgeous victorian in Bay Shore a gazillion years ago and she sold because she did not like the direction of the neighborhood. I would not touch Brightwaters, either.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:40 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have a cousin that had a gorgeous victorian in Bay Shore a gazillion years ago and she sold because she did not like the direction of the neighborhood.
I’m assuming you are referring to crime or demographics and not feng shui...

Old 07-10-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I’m assuming you are referring to crime or demographics and not feng shui...
Yes, that true, however, her DH was all about Feng shui and that was one reason they bought this particular home. It really was killer and had gardens to die for. Not on the water but a couple of blocks off, but at night you could hear the boats on the Great South Bay.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Just curious how you are picking the areas. .... I would not touch Brightwaters, either.
Picking the areas is a multi level process - use google earth, google street, read to death this forum, google search info on specific neighborhoods, ask people, lived on the island for 15yrs so know a little myself, and drive around. Driving to the places is most informative, but this forum is also really useful to get possible neighborhood candidates.

Why would not you touch Brightwaters? Because of school district or general Bay Shore situation? I didn’t get impression that Brightwaters is going downhill. Actually, it’s the first time I hear negative about Brightwaters. South from Montauk Hwy, it looks a little too uptight to my taste, but I can live with that, other than that, seems to fit most of my criteria.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:32 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
^ Brightwaters is still the same as it was 20+ years ago. I’m in the area all the time. Would have no issue buying and living there.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formi View Post
Picking the areas is a multi level process - use google earth, google street, read to death this forum, google search info on specific neighborhoods, ask people, lived on the island for 15yrs so know a little myself, and drive around. Driving to the places is most informative, but this forum is also really useful to get possible neighborhood candidates.

Why would not you touch Brightwaters? Because of school district or general Bay Shore situation? I didn’t get impression that Brightwaters is going downhill. Actually, it’s the first time I hear negative about Brightwaters. South from Montauk Hwy, it looks a little too uptight to my taste, but I can live with that, other than that, seems to fit most of my criteria.
Most school districts will have good and bad no matter where you go, some more some less, but it doesn't sound like the areas you are looking in are all that bad. If you thought the reason I would not touch it was because it was going downhill, I didn't mean that. I personally don't think Brightwaters is worth the money they are asking, so I would go elsewhere. Let's face it most LI homes are not worth the prices they are commanding.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Most school districts will have good and bad no matter where you go, some more some less, but it doesn't sound like the areas you are looking in are all that bad. If you thought the reason I would not touch it was because it was going downhill, I didn't mean that. I personally don't think Brightwaters is worth the money they are asking, so I would go elsewhere. Let's face it most LI homes are not worth the prices they are commanding.
Thanks for clarification. I’m 200% with you on most houses not worth the price they are commanding. In this respect bottom market of the expensive north shore areas are the least affected I think.
At this stage of my life moving for me is more about increasing quality of life, getting more comfort, a luxury. I’m not looking purely for value, but value is a consideration also. For example, I’m not going to buy a house with land lease close to expiration or in neighborhood that is going downhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island