Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 03:34 PM

16 posts, read 16,791 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move from the middle of the island closer to water - either north or south shore.
I would like to get help in identifying neighborhoods that fit our criteria.

Here is what we are looking for:
- More privacy - houses should be well separated, 1/4 acer lots or larger (preferably over 0.5 acre)
- Tree lined streets - we like country feeling, not suburbia.
- On the water or walking distance to water, marina, or easy drive to a boat ramp (<5min).
- Not in a flood zone
- Easy highway access
- Close to train station (walking distance preferable but 5-10 min easy drive is also ok)
- Preferably smaller house (3br)
Price - prefer to stay below 800k, for perfect place may go up to 1M.

Let me tell what I have eliminated.

East of Oakdale is too much east. Islip/ East Islip is too far from highway.

Oyster Bay through Cold Spring Harbor area, didn’t like the vibe and local driving. Sea Cliff area, difficulties getting from/to highways. Everything else north and south seems to be outside of the price range, or too suburban or too far from highways.
Babylon seems like a nice place, but could not find streets that fit my criteria.

Here are the areas that, I think, more or less fit the criteria. Some blocks in Brightwaters, a few streets in West Bay Shore, a few streets in West Islip (Eaton Ln, Magoun Rd area), Great River(though, seems boring), a couple of blocks in Oakdale, Kings Park (area bordering Sunken Meadow).

Do you think there are any areas, streets, neighborhoods that I’m missing and should check out?
Or maybe some of the neighborhoods that I'm considering, I should not?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 04:17 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times
I know it’s too far east for you but otherwise Setauket/Strongs Neck would be perfect. I take it you have a city commute?

Old 07-09-2020, 05:57 PM

I don’t need to commute now, but it’s a possibility in future, have to plan for it.
Thanks for suggestion, nice area.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:00 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formi View Post
I don’t need to commute now, but it’s a possibility in future, have to plan for it.
Thanks for suggestion, nice area.
I’d start looking west from there on the north shore until you get comfortable or go over budget. You’re going to get the tree-lined country feeling more north than south.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:19 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
On the water with a country feel but easy highway access AND walkable to a train station???

Old 07-09-2020, 07:36 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,336,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
On the water with a country feel but easy highway access AND walkable to a train station???
There is a name for this and it is cold spring harbor.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
And you forgot to mention not in a flood zone

If it was easy, I would not be asking.

I was surprised, but there are few streets here and there that fit the criteria. Each time I discovered them by accident. I’m pretty sure I’m missing some also.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:08 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Keep in mind even if you are not in a flood zone if you are within a mile of the water - any water - as the crow flies it will be very difficult to get HO insurance.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:13 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,174,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formi View Post
And you forgot to mention not in a flood zone

If it was easy, I would not be asking.

I was surprised, but there are few streets here and there that fit the criteria. Each time I discovered them by accident. I’m pretty sure I’m missing some also.
What does your Realtor suggest?

Old 07-10-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind even if you are not in a flood zone if you are within a mile of the water - any water - as the crow flies it will be very difficult to get HO insurance.
Thanks, didn’t realized that. Will check with my insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island