Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 06:44 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Talking about flood insurance. Flood ins is based on how often you may be flooded in 100 year period. Why would there be a difference?
Ask the NYS insurance department. They allow insurers on LI to forego insuring homes within a mile of water. I'm not really sure why you're conflating a lake in upstate NY with the completely different variable of tidal waters on an island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 06:54 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ask the NYS insurance department. They allow insurers on LI to forego insuring homes within a mile of water. I'm not really sure why you're conflating a lake in upstate NY with the completely different variable of tidal waters on an island.

Bank makes that decision

Old 07-14-2020, 07:23 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
see unless your house is on the water, you dont get the benefits of it, you just live in a high risk flood zone for no reason.

and if you do live on the water, I guess its good if your into boating, because you wont have a big back yard, and you will to close to your neighbors to actually have some privacy
Some live within close proximity to the beach. I agree living directly on the water broadens your ability for boating.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-14-2020, 09:27 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Keep in mind even if you are not in a flood zone if you are within a mile of the water - any water - as the crow flies it will be very difficult to get HO insurance.
I've heard this stated for years but never seen it in practice. Everyone I know that lives on the ocean or bay has never had an issue getting homeowners insurance.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:50 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
why on gods green earth would you want to move to the water when you willl flood in the next 10 years.
federally subsidized flood insurance is a beautiful thing!

Old 07-14-2020, 10:55 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
insurance companies and banks are separate entities, not sure why anyone thinks an insurer can't decide who they take as a risk.

https://coastalinsurancesolution.com...st-near-water/

probably has a good overview.

but by all means as a former insurance agent on LI I'm sure someone who lives on lake ontario knows better, as does someone who allegedly has many friends who live "on the ocean" and makes a point to drill down to their insurance and how they got it.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:26 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Nevermind living on or near the water, several insurance companies are not writing on Long Island at all, due to the possibility of a hurricane. We had been with State Farm at our condo and we wanted to move to USAA when we bought the house in 1997. They had stopped writing on LI due to hurricanes.

We moved to De and USAA is our insurer.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:46 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
flood zone shouldn't be an automatic strike against a property. If the first floor of the house is at a high enough elevation, the risk (and flood insurance costs) is likely minimal.
Unfortunately it does. I am in the insurance business and we insure a home overlooking the the water in Kings point. He was quoted 24,000 for his flood insurance but decided to stay with the flood insurance the mortgage company gave him for a lot less.Most companies won't write if your home is within 1 mile of the water. Kingstone and UPC insurance will though.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:22 PM

16 posts, read 16,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Just curious, I'm not from the area, but there most likely are realtors that specialize in waterfront properties. Are you engaging with a "buyers" agent? One more point, if your realtor knows what your looking for, they may alert you to some new listings before they make it to the market.
The area I’m looking at is too wide to be covered by one agent. And I thought that I can do online search as well as an agent.
I’m ok waiting for property to come on a market, I would not want to jump on any property immediately.
One thing that concerns me though, in drive by, I have seen for sale signs but when I wanted to check the property online, I could not find it. That made me think that maybe I am missing something and not every property comes on MLS

Old 07-16-2020, 06:24 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,166,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formi View Post
The area I’m looking at is too wide to be covered by one agent. And I thought that I can do online search as well as an agent.
I’m ok waiting for property to come on a market, I would not want to jump on any property immediately.
One thing that concerns me though, in drive by, I have seen for sale signs but when I wanted to check the property online, I could not find it. That made me think that maybe I am missing something and not every property comes on MLS
What website are you using for MLS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island