Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 06:20 AM

916 posts, read 563,714 times

Advertisements

The advantage the San Fernando Valley has over LI is that it's on the mainland. LI is a socio-cultural eddy created by largely having to go through NYC to leave it by car. (Left as soon as I turned 18, like many people. I have fond memories of certain things, but the logistical situation stinks.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 08:30 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post

I'm headed to Irvine, CA when the time is right. Check it out. Clean, moderate politically, great schools and super duper nice peeps!!! I drove 800 miles there Summer 2019 checking it out and NOT ONE PERSON HONKED AT ME. You got the beaches, mountains and palm trees. And if you need some NYC type filth, LA is just an hour away.
Irvine is real nice .. only thing is no property ! homes so close together they are practically touching. And the beach is really close. Another thing about Southern California - great vegetables all year.
We looked out in Reno, same thing with the clusters of close homes , and there is all that empty land. Why are the homes so close ? Distribution of water maybe.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:22 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
The advantage the San Fernando Valley has over LI is that it's on the mainland. LI is a socio-cultural eddy created by largely having to go through NYC to leave it by car. (Left as soon as I turned 18, like many people. I have fond memories of certain things, but the logistical situation stinks.)
I actually started making plans to relocate my family away from LI in the days after 9/11. With bridges and roadways being shutdown while that horrible event played out, it was on full display for me how isolated everything was and how that would restrict options during a crisis. I wasn't so much worried about terrorism but rather natural disasters.

We loved living on Long Island, it's a remarkable place to raise a family. But the complications it introduces, the diminished quality of life due to congestion and commute times, the seriously inflated cost of living and the growing threat of a natural disaster threatening lives and destroying equity was too much. I miss quite a bit of the upside of living there, but don't actually miss being there.

I would never move back, even if I was gifted a home.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:32 AM

690 posts, read 585,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I actually started making plans to relocate my family away from LI in the days after 9/11. With bridges and roadways being shutdown while that horrible event played out, it was on full display for me how isolated everything was and how that would restrict options during a crisis. I wasn't so much worried about terrorism but rather natural disasters.

We loved living on Long Island, it's a remarkable place to raise a family. But the complications it introduces, the diminished quality of life due to congestion and commute times, the seriously inflated cost of living and the growing threat of a natural disaster threatening lives and destroying equity was too much. I miss quite a bit of the upside of living there, but don't actually miss being there.

I would never move back, even if I was gifted a home.
Very well said. These are things that are huge issues for us as well. Leaving LI multiple times a month, there is always an issue getting out or back, even at obscure hours. We have no family here, so the decision to leave is easy.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:22 PM

226 posts, read 129,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
I'm headed to Irvine, CA when the time is right. Check it out. Clean, moderate politically, great schools and super duper nice peeps!!! I drove 800 miles there Summer 2019 checking it out and NOT ONE PERSON HONKED AT ME. You got the beaches, mountains and palm trees. And if you need some NYC type filth, LA is just an hour away.
I find it funny that a person who is openly bigoted toward Asian, Black, and Hispanic people is excited to move to a city that is now >50% Asian, Black, and Hispanic.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:43 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
why types of natural disasters had you worried? All we get around here are hurricanes...and the only good thing about them is that you have plenty of warning.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:10 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Natural disasters, or unnatural disasters. Either way, good luck trying to get out of the metro area if there was some kind of SHTF incident. Ain’t happening. You will be trapped. Let that sink in a bit. Nobody believed we would have something like 911. Nobody believed Sandy.
Yet they happened. So why not believe there won’t be some other catastrophic event, natural or otherwise?

Old 02-03-2021, 09:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Natural disasters, or unnatural disasters. Either way, good luck trying to get out of the metro area if there was some kind of SHTF incident. Ain’t happening. You will be trapped. Let that sink in a bit. Nobody believed we would have something like 911. Nobody believed Sandy.
Yet they happened. So why not believe there won’t be some other catastrophic event, natural or otherwise?
I read an article saying LI is actually one of the safest places to be when it comes to natural disasters. Who knows if it’s true or not

Old 02-04-2021, 02:57 AM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I read an article saying LI is actually one of the safest places to be when it comes to natural disasters. Who knows if it’s true or not
Totally not true. It’s no California, but in a SHTF event, escape would be futile.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:16 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
It’s probably an anxiety disorder or such that makes people worry about natural/unnatural disasters. Long Islands biggest issue is flooding. Over the course of the past 8+ years a lot has been accomplished in building infrastructure to coexist with the rising sea level. Army Corp of engineers is working down the block building a new bulkhead as I type this.I can only imagine funding will increase over the next several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island