Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 05:15 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
It’s probably an anxiety disorder or such that makes people worry about natural/unnatural disasters. Long Islands biggest issue is flooding. Over the course of the past 8+ years a lot has been accomplished in building infrastructure to coexist with the rising sea level. Army Corp of engineers is working down the block building a new bulkhead as I type this.I can only imagine funding will increase over the next several years.
The thing with hurricanes & flooding is that you are generally given warning about it.

Places like CA, there is way to know when an earthquake or wildfire will start
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 05:27 AM

690 posts, read 585,347 times
Quote:
It’s probably an anxiety disorder or such that makes people worry about natural/unnatural disasters. Long Islands biggest issue is flooding. Over the course of the past 8+ years a lot has been accomplished in building infrastructure to coexist with the rising sea level. Army Corp of engineers is working down the block building a new bulkhead as I type this.I can only imagine funding will increase over the next several years.
I think that's fair to say. I would probably fall into that category in some way. I believe the fact remains the same though, you are not getting off this island in a catastrophic event. You could also potentially be cut off from supplies. It's easy to say it will never happen, but it could, and it becomes more and more likely that NY will be a target in the future. NYC/LI is the last place I would want to be when it happens.

They can "upgrade" infrastructure all they want, it doesn't change the fact that there are two ways off the island, and you're going through a bottleneck. Takes hours on a good day.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:20 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
I think that's fair to say. I would probably fall into that category in some way. I believe the fact remains the same though, you are not getting off this island in a catastrophic event. You could also potentially be cut off from supplies. It's easy to say it will never happen, but it could, and it becomes more and more likely that NY will be a target in the future. NYC/LI is the last place I would want to be when it happens.

They can "upgrade" infrastructure all they want, it doesn't change the fact that there are two ways off the island, and you're going through a bottleneck. Takes hours on a good day.
Have you seen the flying car being developed? Lots of shore line as well for marine escape. My neighbor is armed to the tooth in case there is a home invasion, as if 1 gun wasn’t enough. The media has instilled a fear over this country that has done severe damage to society.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:36 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Natural disasters, or unnatural disasters. Either way, good luck trying to get out of the metro area if there was some kind of SHTF incident.
like what?
Quote:
Ain’t happening. You will be trapped. Let that sink in a bit. Nobody believed we would have something like 911.
but nobody had to leave Long Island after 9/11. In case you didn't notice, the attack was in Manhattan!
Quote:
Nobody believed Sandy.
plenty of believe believed Sandy would be bad...and those were the folks that smartly evacuated low lying areas. And you didn't have to leave Long Island, all you had to do, most cases, was travel about a mile north.
Quote:
Yet they happened. So why not believe there won’t be some other catastrophic event, natural or otherwise?
Another one? I'm still waiting for the first.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:07 AM

1,264 posts, read 562,391 times
Quote:
The problem with armoring the shore is that it just transfers the flooding somewhere else, and interferes with the regular flow and erosion patterns.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:21 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post

plenty of believe believed Sandy would be bad...and those were the folks that smartly evacuated low lying areas. And you didn't have to leave Long Island, all you had to do, most cases, was travel about a mile north.
I was on the north shore so I escaped the brunt of Sandy. I was still under mandatory evacuation but chose to shelter in place because I was prepared - meaning when power went out (and it did for over 9 days) I was able to run my house on a generator, I had food and water and the waters receded within a day reopening the roads.

Sandy was extremely mild though. When Irma went over my Florida home as a Cat 3, it did little damage due to its construction. The same strength hitting LI anywhere would be devastating. Luckily it’s very, very unlikely.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:38 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I was on the north shore so I escaped the brunt of Sandy. I was still under mandatory evacuation but chose to shelter in place because I was prepared - meaning when power went out (and it did for over 9 days) I was able to run my house on a generator, I had food and water and the waters receded within a day reopening the roads.

Sandy was extremely mild though. When Irma went over my Florida home as a Cat 3, it did little damage due to its construction. The same strength hitting LI anywhere would be devastating. Luckily it’s very, very unlikely.
Sandy was mild in terms of rain and wind. It was anything but mild in terms of storm surge. Given the realities of climate change, it would not surprise me if Long Island was hit by one or more major hurricanes in my lifetime. Regardless, as mentioned previously, a hurricane is not the type of natural disaster that would cause people to be trapped on Long Island given you can see them coming days in advance.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:50 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
The problem with armoring the shore is that it just transfers the flooding somewhere else, and interferes with the regular flow and erosion patterns.
This is true. My house is on the wrong side of that bulkhead. The neighbors complained about this project for some time, to no avail. Raising structures is the only way to coexist with the shore line. Have you visited any coastal communities since Sandy? The progress in some of these towns is remarkable.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:54 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
why types of natural disasters had you worried? All we get around here are hurricanes...and the only good thing about them is that you have plenty of warning.
Mostly significant storms, hurricanes and/or nor'easters. But I was also starting to wonder about my electric bill as temperatures continued to rise right along with the cost of electricity. The intensity and frequency of storms continues to trend upwards, Sandy was a view into what could become a recurring annual or bi-annual event, why have to deal with that if there are better options?

You dull the edges of the storm threat by pointing out that there's plenty of advanced warning when they're approaching. So staying safe and alive could remain manageable, but what about the increased likelihood that my home would be destroyed, or my community unlivable? I had a mortgage for a home that was worth an estimated $600K, what happens if due to storm damage that home is suddenly worth half that amount, or nothing at all?

Old 02-04-2021, 08:40 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I read an article saying LI is actually one of the safest places to be when it comes to natural disasters. Who knows if it’s true or not
No, not really. As a former Emergency Preparedness person, the fact that unless you are counting ferries, there is only one way on to the island and one way off. Sure, there are a few different ways off via bridges and tunnels but all the roads lead to just a few options. During Sandy, in the bunker with us we had an official from the Galveston area of Texas, who was visiting family and the Emergency Operations Center. Galveston Island is only 30 odd miles long and a couple of miles wide. She explained that the only way on to the island is via car (shuttle, taxi) and during hurricanes they have mandatory evacuation orders and it is a night mare, because all traffic is toward I-45. LI is not that much different because while there are more options once you are in Queens, there are few options to get to Queens and the LI population is a lot greater than that of Galveston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island