Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 4,951 times

Advertisements

I grew up on Long Island but left after college and moved to Orlando. I have been here for over 20 years now. We have had a lot of life changes in the past few years- my son is getting ready to graduate, I just had a baby (yes- we are starting over!). My Dad passed away 2 years ago and my mom is still in her house in Bayport. The plan was always that she would move to Florida to be closer to us and we even now own a beach condo as a family on the east coast of Florida (bought with the plan that she would live in it full time as some point). However, we are really starting to not like current part of Orlando - it has become more transient and a lot of change- we are also less than thrilled with the education our older son received. As a joke, someone said we just move back to Long Island. Well, what started as a joke has become a realistic conversation. Both my husband and I work remote (even before Covid) so our jobs come with us- so this would be a very easy change to make. On paper - it all makes sense. Great school district (the entire district is smaller than my sons high school), close to family and cost of living would be manageable since my moms is affordable. But- what else am I not thinking about? I loved growing up in Bayport and a great childhood and think this could be great for my little one but am I just being nostalgic. Tell me the good and the bad of this (beyond having to pay state of NY tax)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 10:42 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Well for beginners have you looked into the real estate prices here on LI ? It’s at a all time here and many couldn’t afford to buy their homes in today’s market.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:35 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
Sounds like a dream if you can handle this crappy weather. As long as you don’t have siblings looking for an inheritance from the house you should be all set.

Old 01-30-2021, 12:47 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Default Thinking of Moving Back- Just Nostalgic or Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlegirl77 View Post
I grew up on Long Island but left after college and moved to Orlando. I have been here for over 20 years now. We have had a lot of life changes in the past few years- my son is getting ready to graduate, I just had a baby (yes- we are starting over!). My Dad passed away 2 years ago and my mom is still in her house in Bayport. The plan was always that she would move to Florida to be closer to us and we even now own a beach condo as a family on the east coast of Florida (bought with the plan that she would live in it full time as some point). However, we are really starting to not like current part of Orlando - it has become more transient and a lot of change- we are also less than thrilled with the education our older son received. As a joke, someone said we just move back to Long Island. Well, what started as a joke has become a realistic conversation. Both my husband and I work remote (even before Covid) so our jobs come with us- so this would be a very easy change to make. On paper - it all makes sense. Great school district (the entire district is smaller than my sons high school), close to family and cost of living would be manageable since my moms is affordable. But- what else am I not thinking about? I loved growing up in Bayport and a great childhood and think this could be great for my little one but am I just being nostalgic. Tell me the good and the bad of this (beyond having to pay state of NY tax)?
There are some very good points for living on Long Island and the Northeast as a whole but I think you are probably feeling some kind of nostalgia. I think you are forgetting there are many reasons why people keep leaving New York for better pastures.

I like Long Island (look at my screen name) and it is much better then living in dingbat looneyville NYC. But Long Island is increasingly crowded, expensive, with traffic all day long, and frankly not worth it IMHO. I suggest you take a look at the real estate prices and then look up the tax rates. So you have to decide if it is worth it to pay for example, a half million dollars or more for a small 60 to 70 year old 3 bedroom house, pay 12k in taxes a year all on a postage size lot. And remember the taxes keep going up and up. Not to mention a recent flood of people fleeing dingbat looneyville that is driving up the housing costs even higher.

And don't forget for the privilege of living on Long Island, you have to pay New York State income tax. Just shave off roughly an extra 6%+ of your income or your retirement/401k money to the government.

I know I sound negative and there is alot I will miss when I leave the Island. All the stores and convenience. Being near dingbat looneyville but thankfully not in it. The parks and the beaches. But is it worth it? I wonder. There is a whole continent out there, why am I am living on just a tiny corner of it?

Old 01-30-2021, 01:14 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Well for beginners have you looked into the real estate prices here on LI ? It’s at a all time here and many couldn’t afford to buy their homes in today’s market.
Sounds like she's going to live with mom but another poster makes a good point about siblings wanting a share of that part of the estate.

As for whether you're experiencing nostalgia or not, no one can say....except you. So if you suspect that may be a large part of your reason for moving, I suggest you think long and hard and maybe even spend a winter on LI....you have time since your younger child is just a baby.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Sounds like a dream if you can handle this crappy weather. As long as you don’t have siblings looking for an inheritance from the house you should be all set.
Yes, I am an only child- other than that it would make a big difference. At this point, my mother and my family are already financially mixed together.

Last edited by Turtlegirl77; 01-30-2021 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-30-2021, 02:09 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Op how would your husband feel about living with his mother in law? He’s ok with that?

Old 01-30-2021, 02:27 PM

690 posts, read 585,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Op how would your husband feel about living with his mother in law? He’s ok with that?
Another question to ask, is your husband from LI as well? LI is a LOT to adjust to for someone who is not. The above post listing most of the negatives, takes a huge hit on QOL. If your husband isn't accustomed to this, or at least aware of it, that could be a potential problem. Living with MIL will just be the icing on the cake.

Another thing to think about IMO, is the LI you left 20 years ago, is most likely not the LI of today. In the 8 painful years I have been here, traffic has gotten worse, property taxes continue to go up, COL is through the roof for nothing, and there are more people than ever, even in Suffolk.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:08 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
For those with poor reading comprehension, everyone knows what their getting into. Bayport is an affluent, amazing place to grow up and live if you can afford it. I’m jealous!

Old 01-30-2021, 04:16 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Have you been back for an extended period of time? Maybe not recently due to covid, but have you spent any appreciable amount of time on LI. I love LI. Born raised and lived there for all but 2 years of my life. That said, we moved almost 8 years ago and eve time we go back to visit family we find it so different than when we left just 8 short years ago. The stores have changed, the home owners have changed, there is a change in demographics and it is just different. We also find it looking a little bit more worn down in general, not specifically our neighborhood.

The other thing to consider is the costs. Once your mom is gone that is a third income, if you will. Your taxes in Florida will be less than NY for sure. All things to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island