Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 04:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times

Advertisements

Affluent? Lol.

You make it sound like it’s some north shore Gold Coast town. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
For those with poor reading comprehension, everyone knows what their getting into. Bayport is an affluent, amazing place to grow up and live if you can afford it. I’m jealous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 04:28 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Affluent? Lol.

I was thinking the same thing. I have friends there and it’s fine, but it’s not Old Brookville.

OP, before making a permanent shift I’d see if you can spend a month on LI first. You’ve been away 20 years, and in some ways a lot has changed, in others nothing has.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:48 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Affluent? Lol.

You’re right about something, it’s not like a wealthy north shore town. The demographics and geography make it pretty darn valuable though. I bet the hometown community is way different the north shore Gold Coast as well.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:53 PM

913 posts, read 886,523 times
I grew up on Long Island and had lived 9 years in Rockland County, 7 years in Cary NC and came back to Long Island in 2019. I could not be happier, but we are also early retired so we don't have to run in the rat race.
NC was very nice, but never really felt like home to me and even less to my husband. We had always planned to come back to NY when my youngest child graduated. We figured we would just head south for the colder months.
Long story short, my parents and only sibling passed away within a period of 5 years and I was faced with selling my family home I grew up in or gut renovating it and moving back early.
It took a lot of time and money (covid hit in the middle of the house being gutted) but I am so glad I chose to keep the house. It feels like I have a piece of my family with me and the house came out beautifully.
So we are very happy to be back and moving retirement up 5 years turned out wonderful.
Best of luck to you in what ever you choose.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
You’re right about something, it’s not like a wealthy north shore town. The demographics and geography make it pretty darn valuable though. I bet the hometown community is way different the north shore Gold Coast as well.
Bayport- Blue Point does have an extremely tight community - it’s actually one the things that does draw me back. No one really leaves- both of my parents went to school there, as did I and then my mother has taught in the district for 30 years. The families go back for generations- for example, when I was in 3rd grade I had my best friend come over. Well, we didn’t know this, but her grandparents were actually friends with my grandparents and at my parents wedding. Her father sat behind my Dad in home room through out high school, etc... this type of thing is very common in BBP. It is the complete opposite of the transient nature of where I currently live in Florida. It makes it very appealing and I like the idea of my youngest having some “roots”- I feel like my older son does not have this and it does make me a bit sad. However, my husband is a native Floridian so the winter and February gray would be new to him. While we have spent time on Long Island on a regular basis - 2 weeks is different than living. Not to mention adding his mother in law into the mix...so many dynamics to consider, but I do like the idea of us trying it for a bit before making a true decision.

Last edited by Turtlegirl77; 01-30-2021 at 06:07 PM..

Old 01-30-2021, 07:42 PM

^^ What you are describing is 90% of Long Island. That’s why it’s so expensive here. People stay here & are willing to struggle because of their tight knit family and social networks and never leave.

Here is the pattern...Mikey/Missy graduates high school > goes to a SUNY school upstate > graduates and moves back to LI > live with mom and dad until they meet the future spouse > get married and buy a house in their hometown > have kids > repeat. Lol.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:43 PM

You have a huge decision to make Op. just think it all thru and go with what feels right. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2021, 08:19 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
I think if you can afford to live comfortably here, LI is amazing. What’s not amazing is moving here & then only ‘getting by’. If your QOL will suffer here, don’t do it. Otherwise, go for it. I personally love it here & would stay put whether I could afford it or not b/c I love it so much but the prices here will really come as a shock

Old 01-30-2021, 09:21 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlegirl77 View Post
Bayport- Blue Point does have an extremely tight community - it’s actually one the things that does draw me back. No one really leaves- both of my parents went to school there, as did I and then my mother has taught in the district for 30 years. .
If this is appealing to you, you'll fit right back in. LI mentality in a nutshell.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:52 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
I don't know what to tell the OP aside from this - it sounds like nostalgia. The last time I was there, it was very, very different.

We left basically because of taxes that passed 25K and were going nowhere but up.

First, we tried PA. Not a good fit. Then Ohio, which we like, is pretty, they like New Yorkers, and there are many conveniences. I miss the Ocean. I am not a huge fan of the south, with the exception of Florida - and the parts of FL where "Yankees" are welcomed.

Many of my friends have left The Island. If we move again, it will be FL, not LI.

Do I miss LI? Sure. But the LI that I miss isn't there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island