Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 12:31 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times

Advertisements

One of the best place I've ever eaten at was a cheap halal place in Elmont run by several brothers from Afghanistan. My heart broke when they went out of business, and I wish they'd move next door to me and open a new place.

Sorry to say the Chinese food here really blows, including the place I can walk to in 10 minutes. One of these days I'm gonna take the red eye nonstop to JFK, ride the LIRR to Lynbrook and get some Chinese from the takeout place next to the exterminator.

Wondering now if security would consider egg foo young a liquid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,548 times
Why? I think your response pretty much sums up most of Long Island. I grew up on Long Island, lived most of my adult life in Manhattan and returned to LI several years ago. The lack of diversity in most neighborhoods still astounds me. Cultural diversity can be a good thing. Why would anyone not want to live in a culturally diverse neighborhood?

Old 07-01-2021, 08:41 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizzo58 View Post
Why? I think your response pretty much sums up most of Long Island. I grew up on Long Island, lived most of my adult life in Manhattan and returned to LI several years ago. The lack of diversity in most neighborhoods still astounds me. Cultural diversity can be a good thing. Why would anyone not want to live in a culturally diverse neighborhood?
First off, your premise is trash. NYC is one of the most segregated cities in the US. I personally think these sources are garbage and don't care one iota what they say, but I'm sure you place great credibility on them so that's all that matters for the purposes of a dumb internet slapfight:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-y...-map_n_5153739
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/29/n...gregation.html

To answer your question, it's mostly because the schools in virtually every "culturally diverse" neighborhood are crap. The more diverse they are, the lousier the schools. That includes NYC, where despite all the "cultural diversity", anyone with two pennies to rub together sends their kids to private schools or works their butts off to test into the public magnet schools.

Crime is also a factor. Culturally diverse areas have more of it. Spare me the correlation != causation argument, and fix that crap before you expect me to move to a diverse area. Persons of color worldwide that obtain some degree of wealth move to white areas, or at the minimum secure enclaves away from their diverse brothers and sisters. It is mostly a white liberal fixation to willingly live amongst crime and poverty. My Spanish mother got the hell out of her "culturally diverse" home in Queens the moment she could.

I should ask, what about cultural diversity is so great? Don't say the food and the music. We already have the recipes, and no one bothers with the music anyway.

Old 09-12-2021, 07:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,203,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
First off, your premise is trash. NYC is one of the most segregated cities in the US. I personally think these sources are garbage and don't care one iota what they say, but I'm sure you place great credibility on them so that's all that matters for the purposes of a dumb internet slapfight:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-y...-map_n_5153739
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/29/n...gregation.html

To answer your question, it's mostly because the schools in virtually every "culturally diverse" neighborhood are crap. The more diverse they are, the lousier the schools. That includes NYC, where despite all the "cultural diversity", anyone with two pennies to rub together sends their kids to private schools or works their butts off to test into the public magnet schools.

Crime is also a factor. Culturally diverse areas have more of it. Spare me the correlation != causation argument, and fix that crap before you expect me to move to a diverse area. Persons of color worldwide that obtain some degree of wealth move to white areas, or at the minimum secure enclaves away from their diverse brothers and sisters. It is mostly a white liberal fixation to willingly live amongst crime and poverty. My Spanish mother got the hell out of her "culturally diverse" home in Queens the moment she could.

I should ask, what about cultural diversity is so great? Don't say the food and the music. We already have the recipes, and no one bothers with the music anyway.

Agreed. People move out of the city to the burbs because they want "sameness" - not cultural diversity. They will be polite when diversity happens on their block - but they will never really welcome it. And there is nothing wrong with wanting to raise your kids among their own ethnic, religious, socioeconomic class. Those neighborhoods are sought out and very expensive - for a reason. You have to determine how comfortable you want to be with the neighbors in your community - and be honest with yourself about what makes you feel safe and comfortable. Then you look at what you can afford and go from there. The more you can tolerate diversification - usually - the less you have to spend and the closer to urbanization you get. Just the way the progression of neighborhoods goes. People just don't want outsiders in their neighborhoods and are willing to pay a bundle to ensure that.

Old 09-12-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
The best part of the no overnight parking is your neighbor can’t run a used car business out of his house!!!

And you can also see when there are cars - people - on your block that don't belong there. Casing the place or looking to cause trouble. When the cars have to be in the driveway at a certain time - or can't be on the street for too many hours at a time - it makes it safer for the neighborhood and easier to track would be bad guys.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I can relate, I chose to drive (at higher cost financially but better for me mentally). That is why I always knee jerk jump at these "45 mins by LIRR comments." It's totally misleading and false. Practically silly.

Right. The TRAIN RIDE might be 45 minutes but you have to get to the train. Then you normally have to change at Jamaica and sometimes you have to wait 20 minutes just for the connection since the LIRR cut so many trains out permanently from its schedule. You then have to get where you are going from the train - and for most people - that is a half hour subway, bus or the very least - another 20 minute walk from Penn or Atlantic Avenue. Add to that the fact that the LIRR is either delayed or having some kind of crisis 3 times a week - and now feels quite justified to just cancel service in the middle of the day in the middle of a storm when most people are relying on it the greatest - and you are looking at more like a an hour and half to two hours - one way - every day. If you work 8 hours, your day is easily 12 hours. Not to mention, the fewer trains - especially to Brooklyn since I saw a few of you say that's where you work - are packed with people standing for their $300 a month tickets and nose to nose with people who won't wear masks and may or may not be vaccinated - which with Delta - doesn't even seem to matter anymore especially if you don't want to infect your kids. And even with Covid - you still have the people who have to have gulp down their beer, scoff down their burger king and have their loud, personal cell phone conversations - on speakerphone mind you - or watch tv on the phones blaring the whole show outloud. Those clods are almost always maskless. Plus, the daily tickets are still being offered at non peak prices and the Queens people are still getting subsidized rates - so Long Island monthly ticket commuters are getting squashed by day trippers.

Last edited by chattyneighbor; 09-12-2021 at 08:19 PM..

Old 09-12-2021, 09:37 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Yeah don’t forget about all the time wasted trying to find a parking spot if you drive to the station. If the lot is full you drive around the entire neighborhood trying to find a spot because of all the parking restrictions. You end up parking 4 blocks away. Hopefully without being harassed by some Karen telling you that you can’t park in front of their house. Then you worry about your car all day while at work.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:56 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Right. The TRAIN RIDE might be 45 minutes but you have to get to the train. Then you normally have to change at Jamaica and sometimes you have to wait 20 minutes just for the connection since the LIRR cut so many trains out permanently from its schedule.
This is why I advise anyone looking for a quick commute to buy something walkable to the Babylon line. The trains seemed to be the most frequent, and move quickly between stations in nearby towns.

I lived walkable to a local station (Gibson). There were far fewer trains and most of them went to Atlantic Avenue so you had to change in Jamaica.

If the LIRR isn't enough hassle you will probably have to change to a subway to get to the office. Here's another monthly ticket you'll have to buy. It's an expensive commute no matter where on LI you're commuting from.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:51 AM

63 posts, read 39,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
One of the best place I've ever eaten at was a cheap halal place in Elmont run by several brothers from Afghanistan. My heart broke when they went out of business, and I wish they'd move next door to me and open a new place.

Sorry to say the Chinese food here really blows, including the place I can walk to in 10 minutes. One of these days I'm gonna take the red eye nonstop to JFK, ride the LIRR to Lynbrook and get some Chinese from the takeout place next to the exterminator.

Wondering now if security would consider egg foo young a liquid.
One of the best chinese places on the island is Kwon Ming in Wantagh
They have been there for at least around 40 years

As far as the LIRR goes there is a lot of construction/projects happening so it can be expected that prices will continue to go up
Hopefully the extra funds will improve service and not just get wasted on whatever trendy things/bag of tricks they are sold

Old 06-27-2022, 06:55 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jul0n View Post
My wife and I are looking to buy a SFH on LI as my Manhattan office location is moving from FiDi to Midtown (Columbus Circle) which is will make my commute from NJ (Rumson area / Ferry) untenable.

We were hoping for 3-4 bedrooms, 2+ bathrooms and a yard (can be smaller if the rest fits) - schools are irrelevant since we don't have kids. Our Budget is ~$700-850k for a SFH (not interested in Condos / Apartments etc.). Apart from above, my main objective would be a somewhat okay commuting time to Penn Station (~45mins or less) and we were broadly thinking about the following towns:

Port Washington
Lynbrook
Rockeville Center
Baldwin
Freeport
Merrick

Short drive to a LIRR is ok (doesn't have to be walking distance although that'd be nice) and we mainly would like more space / more green than what you can find in the city. What are the pros/cons of north shore / Port W and similar (more expensive / longer commute?) vs some of the above listed towns on the south? Are the southern shore towns much more densely populated than the northern ones?

Any other insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Lynbrook definitely... You can go well under $700k, especially within walking distance of the Centre Ave (ER) train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island