Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 11:29 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Same here. Not days, but years. 5 to be exact. I will take my retirement to a state that doesn't rape and pillage the hard workers, only to reward the lazy, and illegals. I'm so done with this BS.
Suzook, 5 years myself. Just came back from Lancaster, PA this week. I think those Amish have the right idea! Not my lifestyle. However, the area is beautiful!
PA doesn’t tax your pension, SS or IRA withdrawals. Of course, Fed tax applies.

Nothing like fresh eggs, fresh potato home fries, bacon, fresh homemade bread for breakfast! Directly from the farm! For my wife & I, with coffee each, the bill was $18, $23 with tip.
Here, that bill would’ve been $30++++, $40 with tip. Not half as good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 01:03 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
I wish I could rep Suzook but I have to spread the love.

This is just beyond ridiculous. I technically have 15 more years left here. But I’m not sure if I’ll even last that long.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:08 PM

690 posts, read 585,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I wish I could rep Suzook but I have to spread the love.

This is just beyond ridiculous. I technically have 15 more years left here. But I’m not sure if I’ll even last that long.
God bless you, we have a handful of months. I don't know how I'm going to tolerate that. If I had another year or two, I might seriously lose it. I know everyone is different, and I will get a lot of how great it is here. It's not for me, I loathe it. It becomes more and more intolerable every day. I hope the time goes by quickly and painlessly for you, and suzook.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:36 PM

106,709 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Suzook, 5 years myself. Just came back from Lancaster, PA this week. I think those Amish have the right idea! Not my lifestyle. However, the area is beautiful!

Nothing like fresh eggs, fresh potato home fries, bacon, fresh homemade bread for breakfast! Directly from the farm! For my wife & I, with coffee each, the bill was $18, $23 with tip.
Pa taxes the money going in to retirement plans so it is no great deal taking it out. There is no ira deduction in pa .

It is a crazy structure ....you can end up getting taxed 2x if you leave from pa ..

Old 04-10-2021, 01:56 PM

9,144 posts, read 6,202,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Pa taxes the money going in to retirement plans so it is no great deal taking it out. There is no ira deduction in pa .

It is a crazy structure ....you can end up getting taxed 2x if you leave from pa ..
Interesting - so your Federal cost basis in your IRA is different than your state cost basis in the same IRA?

And if you move to a state that has an income tax and that follows the Federal cost basis regs, you could have state income tax due on your IRA withdrawal, even though you never received a state deduction for the contribution?

I love C-D. Always learning something. I had never put that construct together under What If scenarios.

Old 04-10-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

I was talking about IRA distribution withdrawals. I stay here, I pay NYS income tax on those withdrawals.
https://www.fool.com/knowledge-cente...rly-ira-w.aspx

Last edited by Spanky25; 04-10-2021 at 02:57 PM..

Old 04-10-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Interesting - so your Federal cost basis in your IRA is different than your state cost basis in the same IRA?

And if you move to a state that has an income tax and that follows the Federal cost basis regs, you could have state income tax due on your IRA withdrawal, even though you never received a state deduction for the contribution?

I love C-D. Always learning something. I had never put that construct together under What If scenarios.
You can’t get away from Federal tax. IRA withdrawal distributions are taxed as “Income tax”. NH doesn’t have sales tax or income income. Amazing how that state is able to run! Then again, I’m sure their cops are not making $200k+++++++-. Their property taxes are high though. Not as bad as here though.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:23 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post

I’m not unhappy here and we are fortunate enough that the cost of living doesn’t really have a negative affect on us. Keep in mind to make it worse the state only taxes private pensions. State pensions don’t pay state tax. We will retire out of state prob in Florida as we already have Places down there. As you said biggest reason the state tax on 401, ira, annuity’s etc. we been pre taxing the max for years to lower our taxable income. No chance in hell I’m paying NY to withdraw. We will leave and cash out in Florida to avoid it. The state should think about things. My wife will be taking her tax payer funded pension and be spending it else where. If they didn’t tax retirement accounts I would prob not move. I got a Long way to go 16 years! I’m happy here there is no value in retiring here due to the income tax structure and property taxes. If we do stay I’ll def make sure we spend 183 in Florida to avoid paying the leeches in Albany. I prefer costa rica I skinny the wife would be down with a FT move.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I’m not unhappy here and we are fortunate enough that the cost of living doesn’t really have a negative affect on us. Keep in mind to make it worse the state only taxes private pensions. State pensions don’t pay state tax. We will retire out of state prob in Florida as we already have Places down there. As you said biggest reason the state tax on 401, ira, annuity’s etc. we been pre taxing the max for years to lower our taxable income. No chance in hell I’m paying NY to withdraw. We will leave and cash out in Florida to avoid it. The state should think about things. My wife will be taking her tax payer funded pension and be spending it else where. If they didn’t tax retirement accounts I would prob not move. I got a Long way to go 16 years! I’m happy here there is no value in retiring here due to the income tax structure and property taxes. If we do stay I’ll def make sure we spend 183 in Florida to avoid paying the leeches in Albany. I prefer costa rica I skinny the wife would be down with a FT move.
The best place to work, not the place to retire. Agree, take the money & run!

Old 04-10-2021, 07:13 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
BTW, I work azz off since I am 15. Don't give me that BS they work harder than me. Come here LEGALLY, and then I will respect the hard work they do. The US is being INVADED, and we are handing them free sht.
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island