Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 07:09 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,950,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
If property values were assessed incorrectly and too high, then the total amount received by the county should decrease.
Yes, but then how are the workers going to get paid their phatty contracted salaries? Think of the struggling $130k/yr gym teachers, will you!?!?

F this place and everyone who has a hand out for handouts. I wish I had more middle fingers for them - you know who you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 07:55 AM

1,305 posts, read 587,770 times
The County shouldn't be the entity coming up with the numbers. It should be based on some real external data, such as actual home sale price, which can be estimated to increase or decrease annually by some variable tied to the market overall.

Or tie the assessments to mortgage underwriting and assessment. You're actually grieving your assessed home value as a route to grieve the taxes, not directly grieving the lax levy. If a mortgage company will only underwrite for the value you claim the house is, then watch how fast people stop grieving the value. That will normalize the numbers across the board in short order. Since everyone will want to have an accurate home value, the ratios of property values in relation to taxes should stabilize.

Or... maybe start with the county not putting themselves on the hook for return of funds which are not actually in their accounts anymore. They should he able to seek restitution from the townships, schools, etc for the extra money they get to keep after these deals.

Nobody would ever design this system and expect it to work. It makes much more sense when you realize that it was designed to enrich grievance companies who donate to the people in control, all on the backs of taxpayers.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:13 AM

690 posts, read 591,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
The County shouldn't be the entity coming up with the numbers. It should be based on some real external data, such as actual home sale price, which can be estimated to increase or decrease annually by some variable tied to the market overall.

Or tie the assessments to mortgage underwriting and assessment. You're actually grieving your assessed home value as a route to grieve the taxes, not directly grieving the lax levy. If a mortgage company will only underwrite for the value you claim the house is, then watch how fast people stop grieving the value. That will normalize the numbers across the board in short order. Since everyone will want to have an accurate home value, the ratios of property values in relation to taxes should stabilize.

Or... maybe start with the county not putting themselves on the hook for return of funds which are not actually in their accounts anymore. They should he able to seek restitution from the townships, schools, etc for the extra money they get to keep after these deals.

Nobody would ever design this system and expect it to work. It makes much more sense when you realize that it was designed to enrich grievance companies who donate to the people in control, all on the backs of taxpayers.
Hahaha, never, ever, ever will happen. I can laugh, bc I'm out!

I do agree with everything you said. I'm just being obnoxious, about the fact that taxes will never, ever go down here. Just the insane hamster wheel, that just keeps spinning.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:36 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,808,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post

I do agree with everything you said. I'm just being obnoxious, about the fact that taxes will never, ever go down here. Just the insane hamster wheel, that just keeps spinning.
LOL This topic is such an old standby, there must be hundreds of similar threads about LI's favorite obsession: taxes.

The funny part is that some people think something can be done to lower taxes, to put them in line with taxes elsewhere. The simple truth is they have to pay up or leave. It's that simple, but they just don't get it.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:37 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,706,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Nor is it Curran's, who's trying (unsuccessfully) to straighten out the problems.

There isn't anything Curran can do to fix things. Anyone attempting a fix will fail.

Curran owns the assessment office. If the assessment office is agreeing to the challenges she is by indirection also agreeing to them.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:43 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,118,771 times
Are you saying only the wealthier districts are getting the property tax refunds?

The other districts should get together, and do a reassessment for themselves, and see if they can get break.

I wonder how much kickbacks the wealthier denizens paid out to get this reassessment. What even be the point, to funnel money amongst their friends and family who likely work in local govt, and the tax office.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:55 AM

1,305 posts, read 587,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
Hahaha, never, ever, ever will happen. I can laugh, bc I'm out!

Oh I agree, taxes are never decreasing. A better system will at least ensure that properties are being assessed for the proper percentage of the total tax levy.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:03 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,808,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Curran owns the assessment office. If the assessment office is agreeing to the challenges she is by indirection also agreeing to them.
No matter who runs the assessment office, the same amount of money needs to be raised. The same cronies, working and retired, will have to be paid. Every year, the cost will always be higher.

Reassessments are about shifting the burden over to the other guy. It's taxing whack a mole.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:15 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,706,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
No matter who runs the assessment office, the same amount of money needs to be raised. The same cronies, working and retired, will have to be paid. Every year, the cost will always be higher.

Reassessments are about shifting the burden over to the other guy. It's taxing whack a mole.
My comment was regarding the ability of Curran to "fix things". Of course she can, she chooses not to. She's the county exec and can influence decisions made in the assessor's office. The law firms that process assessment challenges are large donors to the political parties and after having all assessment challenges rejected in 2020 she is making good by them in 2021. Just politics as usual. She's a hack.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:32 AM

661 posts, read 1,068,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are you saying only the wealthier districts are getting the property tax refunds?

The other districts should get together, and do a reassessment for themselves, and see if they can get break.

I wonder how much kickbacks the wealthier denizens paid out to get this reassessment. What even be the point, to funnel money amongst their friends and family who likely work in local govt, and the tax office.
Before the Curran reassessment, residents in wealthy/wealthier areas appealed their assessments in far greater numbers than middle/lower income areas. Many people aren't aware or are totally confused by the process (when in fact its relatively simple). Under prior admins, they rubber stamped most applications and to an extent, still are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island