Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 07:53 AM

34,221 posts, read 47,552,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
You can appeal your assessment to lower nyc taxes. I forgot the agency that handles it. We did this on a holding we owned in queens. We did win, fn crooks in the city they then fined us 5k for nonsense. Best thing a property owner in nyc can do is sell.
Most likely if you were dealing with a city agency its Department of Finance, I'm just saying in NYC this is not a common thing. You prolly took your LI knowledge/experience to Queens when you appealed.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 07:55 AM

My point was that its not a common thing for NYC homeowners to grieve their taxes. On LI its like you have to do it every year otherwise you can't afford the house.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:49 AM

4,702 posts, read 8,789,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
My point was that its not a common thing for NYC homeowners to grieve their taxes.
it's more common than you think.
Quote:
On LI its like you have to do it every year otherwise you can't afford the house.
Or it's just people doing the logical thing. Why pay more than you have to?

Old 07-21-2021, 09:07 AM

5,307 posts, read 4,804,228 times
Quote:
My point was that its not a common thing for NYC homeowners to grieve their taxes. On LI its like you have to do it every year otherwise you can't afford the house.
Thats not what you said at all, you said in NYC grieving property taxes dosen't exist.

Direct Quote:

"In NYC, this grieve taxes things doesn't even exist" I think you may be surprised how many grievances are filed in NYC in a given year.

Grieving every year is also really only a Nassau County thing. In suffolk yes you can grieve, but typically will only win once (if you are really over assessed) and that's it far more likely to get rejected.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Thats not what you said at all, you said in NYC grieving property taxes dosen't exist.

Direct Quote:

"In NYC, this grieve taxes things doesn't even exist" I think you may be surprised how many grievances are filed in NYC in a given year.

Grieving every year is also really only a Nassau County thing. In suffolk yes you can grieve, but typically will only win once (if you are really over assessed) and that's it far more likely to get rejected.
Can you post a link to show the amount? Where is your source of knowledge?

Old 07-21-2021, 03:57 PM

4,212 posts, read 4,129,950 times
Quote:
It’s not common, and changes in taxes are rare. The following text is from the annual NYC Notice of Property Value:

Quote:
You have the right to challenge your assessed value by appealing to the New York City Tax Commission, an independent agency that is separate from the Department of Finance. The Tax Commission has the authority to reduce your property’s assessed value, change its tax class, and adjust your tax exemptions. The Tax Commission cannot change your market value, property description, or building class.
If you can’t get the market value changed, good luck in lowering your taxes unless there was a math error or classification error.

Old 07-21-2021, 04:14 PM

76 posts, read 137,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Gotta laugh. Under Mangano my $400k house was assessed at $247k. It is now valued at approx $525k. Currently assessed at $491k. I can't stand this BS system and find it a total scam the way they got around the 6/20 rule BUT you and Nicolello crying about the inaccuracy is a laugh riot. My assessment is MUCH more accurate now, I just don't like it. Just because I don't like it doesn't make it less true. Same for you. I was robbing the county blind before because I knew how to play Mangano's game. Not my fault Joe Shmoe in Hempstead didn't. Of course I miss it, doesn't mean it was right.
The new assessment routinely erred on the side of OVER assessing above average priced homes (look where the refunds are going - above average towns & villages) and assumed people would just shut up and take it. When you take money out of the pockets of people with means (or just simply brains), they tend to find a way to avoid it. Yes, my assessed value was lower than it should have been (I grieved every year) but the assessed value literally doubled overnight to an amount that's not accurate and that error, like many others, is verified and supported by comps and common sense. When I refinanced my mortgage last year I asked the bank if I could use the assessed value versus the bank's independent appraisal because Nassau County thinks my house is worth almost 50% more than a real appraiser.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:07 AM

57,405 posts, read 26,403,281 times
Excellent editorial on the problems in Nassau and laws at the state level that should be addressed. The 4% reduction is not that bad considering the rapidly increasing real estate values. If home value can't increase by more than 6% how do they arrive at an accurate assessment with prices increasing 8% a year. A better was to address the issue would be allowing increases on some properties that submit a tax challenge.

Quote:
Convoluted state laws governing Nassau County property taxes require the assessment efforts of its county executives to be graded on a curve. That was the case when Thomas Gulotta and Thomas Suozzi ran up hundreds of millions of dollars in debt paying back property owners who won appeals of overpayments to school districts and towns. It was true when Edward Mangano gave up on assessing properties in 2011, freezing valuations and settling most appeals before the roll was set to avoid those "county guarantee" payoffs.

Now another arcane law, known as "six and 20," will make it impossible to assess properties fairly even if the county nails the values perfectly. That law states the assessed value of a home can’t increase by more than 6% in one year or 20% in five; nearly every property in Nassau is appreciating faster than that, so assessed values will not be proportional to fair market value for years
And it's the way to measure the current officeholder. Laura Curran took over in 2018 promising an accurate and defensible roll, produced one, then was battered by a crushing pandemic and a real estate market appreciating at breakneck speed.

-Appeals can never result in valuation increases, over-incentivizing challenges.
-The "county guarantee" makes Nassau responsible for overpayments to school districts and municipalities, which keep the extra money.
-Nassau residents can appeal every year, while many places bar appeals for a period after successful grievances.
https://www.newsday.com/opinion/edit...nts-1.50309682

Old 07-22-2021, 12:29 PM
exm

3,743 posts, read 1,805,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Excellent editorial on the problems in Nassau and laws at the state level that should be addressed. The 4% reduction is not that bad considering the rapidly increasing real estate values. If home value can't increase by more than 6% how do they arrive at an accurate assessment with prices increasing 8% a year. A better was to address the issue would be allowing increases on some properties that submit a tax challenge.

https://www.newsday.com/opinion/edit...nts-1.50309682

Newsday has been terrible with this subject. They have been pushing the 'these poor people in Hempstead having grieved, so let's double the taxes in neighboring RVC/GC since they did grief, that's fair!'

Maybe, just maybe someone should look into why are taxes are so GD high instead of trying to be 'fair' about paying them.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:15 PM

5,307 posts, read 4,804,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Newsday has been terrible with this subject. They have been pushing the 'these poor people in Hempstead having grieved, so let's double the taxes in neighboring RVC/GC since they did grief, that's fair!'

Maybe, just maybe someone should look into why are taxes are so GD high instead of trying to be 'fair' about paying them.
Yep hysterics from newsday is part of what pushed curran to reassess as they claimed it was unfair to "poor" communities that didnt grieve as much (even though there was nothing stopping them from doing so whatsoever). Now it turns out the gambit didn't work and wealthier communities are still winning on appeal regardless, and she is now stuck with the bill like her predecessors, so Newsrag is having their predictable temper tantrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island