Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:31 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I dont feel unsafe in most of NYC these days.Its not like the Dinkins years.

Kingston down by the water is nice now and the area by the mall has really built up.

I love that area. New Paltz, Woodstock etc.

Crooks
The Bronx is no longer the HH it was back then but its demograhics are still less white year by year the only noticeable increase are the Albanians. BTW, it's unfair to mark it as the Dinkins years. It was the Koch era. Dinkins actually started the improvements of the Times Squares area. Dinkins walked in chaos and only stayed in power for 4 years. It's really The Koch era, The Guiliani era and now the Bloomberg era. Dinkins was a transition period just like Obama will be.

My best friend lives in West Hurley which borders Woodstock. I too love the area.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
The Bronx is no longer the HH it was back then but its demograhics are still less white year by year the only noticeable increase are the Albanians. BTW, it's unfair to mark it as the Dinkins years. It was the Koch era. Dinkins actually started the improvements of the Times Squares area. Dinkins walked in chaos and only stayed in power for 4 years. It's really The Koch era, The Guiliani era and now the Bloomberg era. Dinkins was a transition period just like Obama will be.

My best friend lives in West Hurley which borders Woodstock. I too love the area.

I dont blame Dinkins ...the City just happened to bottom out on his watch.
Kinda like Obama

Anyway its Land of the Freak and Home of the Vague up there.

I love it.

Crooks

Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 9,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
For those of you who say Roosevelt isn't that bad, I dare you to walk there at night alone.
I walk through roosevelt every night... the worst thing that happened to me is that I slipped on ice due to horrible plowing...

Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Well. Sewanhaka high school is a 7 on Greatschools.org...so going by the "nassau 8/suffolk 7 for par jm2c scale", it must be below average for Nassau..... just kidding BTW. I can tell you though that 75% of Elmont is not a good area. But if you are comfortable with South Floral park, then you may be comfortable in at least half of Elmont.
Hahahha LOL @ the "jm2c scale".....

Quote:
Idk, Sewanhaka I would expect to come in decent. Elmont not so much. Elmont's rather large too. The district (SCHSD) as a whole is good and East Elmont area is not bad. Maybe Sewanhaka High is the 1 in 100 HS that does not represent the underlying hamlet (Elmont) well. It does represent East elmont/stewart manor though. Just curious, I know this is Walter territory, but I tried to find a map and could not-- do you have a map of the boundary area for each high school in the Sewanhaka Central High SD? I've looked for this and google was no help.
I couldn't find one either, and this isn't the first time I've looked. Like you said, huge district, huge area, confusing municipality (Central HS District....one of only 4 in the state). Elmont HS is in the SW corner of Elmont and Sewanhaka HS is in the NE corner (within 11001 ZIP code....I believe they call this "Floral Park Crest"), so the split must be something like a diagonal line between them. I'm fairly certain that both high schools draw entirely from the Elmont UFSD elementary district (anybody in the area know if any of Franklin Square UFSD goes to Sewanhaka and not Carey?) and maps of that are available on MyNassauProperty.com...that's probably the closest we're gonna get.

Anyway, at quick glance there doesn't appear to be a large difference in academic performance between Elmont HS and Sewanhaka HS (or H. Frank Carey HS for that matter). I think if you sat down and added everything up (which I actually have done in prior years, though I won't do it again for the reasons mentioned in that thread), the latter two would come out on top - but only by an incredibly small margin. Both are also fairly similar to Valley Stream North HS and Valley Stream Central HS. For the record, I think these are ALL good schools/districts.....although Elmont being so universally and thoroughly trashed does make me hesitant to recommend it to anyone, not having firsthand experience.

Quote:
That is an interesting thought. That nearby areas could actually be receiving the brunt of the burglary/theft crimes. Like the 5 houses on the Merrick/Freeport border that were burglarized within 1 week last month. I bet those originated from non-Merrick crooks. Who knows, definitely an enigma. A lot of people say that living near a parkway(s) is a recipe for more crime in your area (easy escape route). I don't totally buy that though. The closest thing we can come up with on crime stats is the same data that c-d published here> http://www.city-data.com/city/Hempstead-New-York.html , about 1/3rd of the way down that page. If we could get totals for every hamlet, that would be a useful data set. I'm not sure how to even go about getting these for every town. C-D's are limited to only a few.
No, the closest thing we can come up with on crime stats are the actual crime statistics from the Village of Hempstead Police Department. That's where city-data.com is getting their information from, and if you look on the same exact page you pointed me to you'll see that the only places colored as a comparison (Garden City, Rockville Centre, Freeport, etc.) also have local village PDs reporting to the FBI & Justice Department. You can't get totals for every hamlet (or village) because they don't exist!!!! That's what I've been going on about this whole time, for pages and pages, about how NeighborhoodScout and RelocationEssentials and whatever else are completely MAKING UP crime statistics for areas that do not have them. That certainly would be useful data to have, but unfortunately it's just not out there.

I don't buy the living near a parkway thing either. I live in a neighborhood sandwiched between 3 major highways, it should look like Fallujah according to that logic.

I also would agree the burglaries in Merrick were probably done by people who live outside of that town, but I wouldn't definitively say they were done by Freeport/Roosevelt residents either. Could be, we won't know until (or if) they catch them, but have you seen the news lately? I see white people robbing banks and breaking into houses on News 12 all the time!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 PM

51 posts, read 109,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
...... but have you seen the news lately? I see white people robbing banks and breaking into houses on News 12 all the time!
Funny- but the media is very selective about which crimes they report.

When I lived on LI, the bank down the street got robbed all the time. Never ever saw it in the news.

Look at Newsday...if the perp is black, they NEVER mention it (Even when it's someone who is on the loose, and whom they're asking the public to help locate)- In fact, you can tell what race the criminal belongs to (on Newsday) by the following:

If it says "caucasian", then he is.
If it doesn't mention race/ethnicity at all: He's black.
It may or may not identify a Hispanic as being Hispanic- and if it does, they never mention whether it is a white, dark-skinned or black Hispanic....or distinguish between Mexicans, Imported Ricans; South Americans, Dominicans, etc.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkonkomoan View Post

When I lived on LI, the bank down the street got robbed all the time. Never ever saw it in the news.

Look at Newsday...if the perp is black, they NEVER mention it (Even when it's someone who is on the loose, and whom they're asking the public to help locate)- In fact, you can tell what race the criminal belongs to (on Newsday) by the following:

It may or may not identify a Hispanic as being Hispanic- and if it does, they never mention whether it is a white, dark-skinned or black Hispanic....or distinguish between Mexicans, Imported Ricans; South Americans, Dominicans, etc.

That entire thing is completely made up. I have seen stories on Newsday that mention when the race when the criminal is white and when the criminal is black. I have also seen stories on Newsday that don't mention race, that goes for both when the criminal is black and when the criminal is white.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:38 PM

31 posts, read 135,360 times
Default Roosevelt

Has anyone heard of Howard Stern?? he grew up in that town and was beaten daily because of his color, this was the late 60s, his family, one of the last white families to leave, were forced to move, they did to save his life and end his beatings!

The area, while being a black area isnt bad for that reason, its the gangs the subhuman culture and the drugs that ruined that town, if it was this bad in the 60s just imagine it now.

Theres nothing wrong with the town, its the people in it!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:47 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenazzareblue View Post
Has anyone heard of Howard Stern?? he grew up in that town and was beaten daily because of his color, this was the late 60s, his family, one of the last white families to leave, were forced to move, they did to save his life and end his beatings!

The area, while being a black area isnt bad for that reason, its the gangs the subhuman culture and the drugs that ruined that town, if it was this bad in the 60s just imagine it now.

Theres nothing wrong with the town, its the people in it!
Never heard of him.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:57 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Never heard of him.
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkonkomoan View Post

I agree, they do this an awful lot.. i dont care what Smash thinks. In fact, they did this with the Great Neck intruder just a few weeks ago. It took 5 days for the media to give the race and full details of the perp (Ny post was 1st to reveal the intruders full description). Before the post told us, all we knew was 200lb with dark hair, that was it!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:26 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
Quote:
I couldn't find one either, and this isn't the first time I've looked. Like you said, huge district, huge area, confusing municipality (Central HS District....one of only 4 in the state). Elmont HS is in the SW corner of Elmont and Sewanhaka HS is in the NE corner (within 11001 ZIP code....I believe they call this "Floral Park Crest"), so the split must be something like a diagonal line between them. I'm fairly certain that both high schools draw entirely from the Elmont UFSD elementary district (anybody in the area know if any of Franklin Square UFSD goes to Sewanhaka and not Carey?) and maps of that are available on MyNassauProperty.com...that's probably the closest we're gonna get.
I did a quick search of properties in the Elmont SD (looking for Sewanhaka mainly), so what I found is about 20%-25% of Sewanhaka HS zoned properties are not in Elmont, but in Floral Park, NHP, Stewart Manor, Franklin Square..with the rest falling in East Elmont. I think that 1 in 4 is accurate. There's a good amount of non-east elmont residents that go to Sewanhaka. I was hoping Walter could provide a map for us if available..

Quote:
I also would agree the burglaries in Merrick were probably done by people who live outside of that town, but I wouldn't definitively say they were done by Freeport/Roosevelt residents either. Could be, we won't know until (or if) they catch them, but have you seen the news lately?
They caught one of the guys responsible for 2 of the robberies.. he is a Freeport resident. That is just one recent example, doesn't mean ALL the crime comes from there..but A lot of Merrick residents know it comes from Freeport and Roosevelt. I would guess 80% of it is from non-Merrick residents. Tedious to prove, but I'm going to use my personal experience-common sense scale on this one and police blotters that I've seen over the years to validate this.
Know any contractors that pull labor from freeport? Ask the contractors what these guys are like and what their understanding of the laws of the USA are. Johninwestbury gets dismissed as a bigot, but there is some truth to what he says.

North Merrick/North Bellmore are also getting hit hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Hahahha LOL @ the "jm2c scale".....
I was having a little fun with crooks here, but tbh Greatschools.org is actually a really good resource for researching schools in your area (even down to the exact school your kids will be attending). They're doing the legwork on how each school stacks up through NY standardized testing -
eg- Birch Lane Elementary School Test Scores - Massapequa Park, New York - NY

NYS Standardized tests
The site has reviews and other info on each school. Also, High Schools are not the ultimate gauge of an entire SD. I mean, your kids will receive their foundation from K-8. That is more important than the high school imho. And when an area's demographics are changing rapidly (like we see in Elmont and other areas), it's a good bet that those scores and the overall quality of the school will be much different 10-15 years from now.
When people throw in their personal opinion of a School, you can't always go to the test scores as the ultimate guide in determining the overall quality of the school. The site even acknowledges this:

Quote:
A few parting words

Test results don't tell you everything about the quality of a particular school, although they can be an indicator of what's happening in the classroom. Always look at more than one measure when judging school performance and visit in person before making any final assessment.
So in a way, I'm all ears when someone that has a respectably accurate post history wants to say he values "North over East" or this SD is having problems, etc..

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-07-2011 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island