Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:26 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,426,762 times

Advertisements

Great, all the loud abnoxious rude people who don't care about their neighborhoods the same people I left Brooklyn to get away from can all be here in just 20MINS!!!!! GREAT!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 10:28 AM
BCW

84 posts, read 283,705 times
happycamper5,
I can certainly understand and respect your desire to live your life and raise your children in a suburban environment. But not dealing with the very real issues that are already on our doorstep and effecting the island as a whole is risky imo. Consider...

Proaction just might have prevented eastern Suffolk as being the last refuge of the 'LI that was.' Proaction might have limited the unchecked sprawl and preserved the open spaces and natural beauty, reduced personal and commercial vehicle emissions, improved the area as a potential home for high tech businesses and their good paying jobs. The list of possibilities is nearly endless.

Reaction is what caused the problems we see, and live with, today.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:54 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,747,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
sorry pal this is how LI can grow. I wish the days of 100k homes were still here to, but such is life. The best way for eastern suffolk to develop is a high speed train. We don't even need high rise condos... a high speed train from eastern LI will allow many people who work in manhattan to afford a house on eastern LI without a deathly commute.
It's how LI can grow, but when does it end? Where does it stop? When Brooklyn & Queens is built up like Manhattan, Nassau becomes Brooklyn, and Suffolk turns to Queens?

Once the all of the land is developed, there is no place to go but up.

A high speed train into NYC is going to increase the value of homes out east. The fact that it currently is a long commute to NYC helps keep the prices down in some areas (exceptions being the Hamptons and other tony areas.)

Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,186,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's how LI can grow, but when does it end? Where does it stop? When Brooklyn & Queens is built up like Manhattan, Nassau becomes Brooklyn, and Suffolk turns to Queens?

A high speed train into NYC is going to increase the value of homes out east. The fact that it currently is a long commute to NYC helps keep the prices down in some areas (exceptions being the Hamptons and other tony areas.)

Yaphank Intermodal would get it done for all.
Would you support expanded LIRR Service/Intermodal for Brookhaven?

Its 2 more exits to Westahmpton

Link to Jitney etc

crookhaven

Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 AM

155 posts, read 298,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Why not? If Queens and Brooklyn becoming what Manhattan has become is what the masses want, then why not? It's called expansion on GDP, and with all that expansion comes more jobs and more money for everyone to spend. Yes, some of the cheaper places to live in suffolk will become more expensive, but then suffolk county will grow as a region with more jobs and more money. Of course many people would like suffolk to remain wide open, but there's too much opportunity cost. What would you prefer, to remain wide open and less wealthy, or populated and more wealthy? The trend is more population and it is going to happen whether you like it or not. Why not prepare for it and this way we can be more efficient and not have so much tax waste? And those people who like farms can move out to the midwest where they can buy a large plot of land and sit on it for as long as they would like.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:21 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,913,742 times
I am hopeful that by the time eastern suffolk becomes uniondale there will be another planet for me to move!!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,052,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
I am hopeful that by the time eastern suffolk becomes uniondale there will be another planet for me to move!!
The point of it is to learn from your mistakes. Development does not have to end with a product that looks like central Nassau. A less car-based planning perspective goes a long way.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 AM

603 posts, read 1,948,772 times
If my taxes go up another dollar i honestly do not know how i will be able to pay my mortgage along with all of the other bills.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 AM

155 posts, read 298,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
uniondale? are you kidding me? believe me there are places in eastern suffolk that make uniondale look like utopia

Old 09-03-2008, 11:35 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,652,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
uniondale? are you kidding me? believe me there are places in eastern suffolk that make uniondale look like utopia
Like where, for example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island