Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:36 PM

155 posts, read 298,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
Like I said before we will spend and spend and spend to keep it clean and green!!!welcome to eastern long island so think before you move here!if high cost and high taxes is what it takes...so be it.
And you are so self righteous stating that people like me don't care about anyone else... yet you don't care about your neighbors who are trying to get by but can't due to high taxes because you want the government to buy up land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Yes and no. In certain fields, they are (remember, NYC isn't the headquarters for every industry), but overall, they're a tiny proportion of the workforce. The number of multimillion dollar bond traders is far outnumbered by armies of back-office workers who don't need to be in Manhattan.
I take the train in with many secretaries and accountants. Most firms will have their back office team in NYC to keep their front office and back office together. There has been some movement into long island city, brooklyn, and even jersey city but manhattan is still the center of it all. And think about it, a bullet train into manhattan will allow for a commute to brooklyn or long island city in under an hour.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If this were a perfect model, your theory would work.

Why are people leaving LI in droves? Housing prices aren't going down because there's a surplus, but rather because the bottom dropped out on the subprime mortgage crisis, oil costs, etc. Our overall economy is in an upheaval. People are not spending what they once were as they tighten their belts in preparation for what's around the next turn.
increased access into NYC will increase the surplus of houses with an easy commute, thus having downward pressure on home prices. Blue collar workers will then be able to afford housing a little better than they can now.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:54 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
And you are so self righteous stating that people like me don't care about anyone else... yet you don't care about your neighbors who are trying to get by but can't due to high taxes because you want the government to buy up land.
whatever it takes to save long island at any cost and yes neighbors.what else can I say that I have not said, most here will pay and pay if you can't , then leave!!! and when I can no longer afford to live here I shall go..but I hope when I visit it will still be the same place I Loved!! like I said at any cost including MYSELF.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:54 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,762,800 times
Quote:
increased access into NYC will increase the surplus of houses with an easy commute, thus having downward pressure on home prices. Blue collar workers will then be able to afford housing a little better than they can now.
I don't know that it would put great pressure on the home prices in Nassau and Western Suffolk. It would, however, make it easier for people to live further east, and might help increase the values there.

The thing that would determine the impact would be the cost of the service. Currently, the cost of the LIRR is prohibitive for many people and I can imaginge what kind of monthly fare the bullet train would charge.

When I was a (relative) kid, you would go into Manhattan to find your first "real" job. However today, the cost of the LIRR makes that route unatractive for many entry level workers.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:18 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,279 times
Quote:
of course they don't because it's too horrendous of a commute. If you can make it a 30-40 minute trip though, you will bring some of these types out there. Right now they live in western and central nassau due to the commute. Many people (like myself) would purchase a house in eastern suffolk if the commute weren't a killer.
I guess my point is it is silly to build some transit hub in Calverton where the current workforce population does not warrant the need. You are proposing that we will build it to allow for an influx out east (or draw folks east); but I would rather add infrastructure (given the maturity of the long island suburban area) where demand already exists. Just my two cents. Fix what we have currently, then see where the further need exists. For example, build a 110 "connector" of sorts from the mass transit options in that location to the corporate offices up and down that corridor before working on some east end bullet train.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I guess my point is it is silly to build some transit hub in Calverton where the current workforce population does not warrant the need. You are proposing that we will build it to allow for an influx out east (or draw folks east); but I would rather add infrastructure (given the maturity of the long island suburban area) where demand already exists. Just my two cents. Fix what we have currently, then see where the further need exists. For example, build a 110 "connector" of sorts from the mass transit options in that location to the corporate offices up and down that corridor before working on some east end bullet train.
Your point isn't silly, but I believe we will see a more immediate improvement with the bullet train than we will by fixing existing infrastructure. The problem with a 110 connection is that there aren't many high paying good jobs there - believe me I've looked!!

Old 09-04-2008, 02:32 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Your point isn't silly, but I believe we will see a more immediate improvement with the bullet train than we will by fixing existing infrastructure. The problem with a 110 connection is that there aren't many high paying good jobs there - believe me I've looked!!
This is strictly out of curiosity:
If better paying jobs in your field were located in the 110 vicinity, would you consider commuting within LI as opposed to commuting to NYC?

Old 09-04-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This is strictly out of curiosity:
If better paying jobs in your field were located in the 110 vicinity, would you consider commuting within LI as opposed to commuting to NYC?
Without a doubt... everyone I know would as well. No one enjoy trecking out to Manhattan and dealing with the LIRR. The problem is that there are so few high level jobs on LI that pay well.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:52 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
That depends on what you mean by high paying or "good" jobs. I would say that for LI, anything over $40K is a "good" job. Anything below that is substandard considering cost of living. There are plenty of 40K jobs and up in the 110 corridor, in the Hauppauge Industrial Park, in Mineola, in Woodbury, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island