Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:58 PM

155 posts, read 299,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
That depends on what you mean by high paying or "good" jobs. I would say that for LI, anything over $40K is a "good" job. Anything below that is substandard considering cost of living. There are plenty of 40K jobs and up in the 110 corridor, in the Hauppauge Industrial Park, in Mineola, in Woodbury, etc.
High paying and good jobs are those over 150k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 03:13 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,061,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
High paying and good jobs are those over 150k
I don't think those are the sort of numbers we should be using to describe areas of opportunity for transportation hubs, considering that's more than the household income for the vast majority of people on LI.

I think mine is more realistic.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,194,512 times
Quote:
I don't think those are the sort of numbers we should be using to describe areas of opportunity for transportation hubs, considering that's more than the household income for the vast majority of people on LI.

The vision for the Transportation Hubs is to bring (non driving)NYC labor here as well.

crookhaven

Old 09-05-2008, 06:37 AM

155 posts, read 299,033 times
Quote:

I want a high speed train, and with that high speed train will bring wealth out on the eastern end of suffolk county. I do not believe that our visions are mutually exclusive though. I believe we need a hub to get around suffolk county better without the need for automobiles and we need a bullet train to make the commute into manhattan easier.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,061,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
I want a high speed train, and with that high speed train will bring wealth out on the eastern end of suffolk county. I do not believe that our visions are mutually exclusive though. I believe we need a hub to get around suffolk county better without the need for automobiles and we need a bullet train to make the commute into manhattan easier.
I'm all for any improvements as long as there is real planning involved. How about building a really sustainable community around any said transportation hub, instead of having developers throw up 200 Mcmansions on whatever land they can get their hands on? Just look at what's happened in Mt. Sinai the last 5 years. 2 huge farms just turned into hundreds of gigantic houses. Traffic on rt 83 has gone from okay to terrible. Not a single infrastructure improvement linked to this development except a turning lane and traffic light.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,765,745 times
Quote:
I'm all for any improvements as long as there is real planning involved. How about building a really sustainable community around any said transportation hub, instead of having developers throw up 200 Mcmansions on whatever land they can get their hands on? Just look at what's happened in Mt. Sinai the last 5 years. 2 huge farms just turned into hundreds of gigantic houses. Traffic on rt 83 has gone from okay to terrible. Not a single infrastructure improvement linked to this development except a turning lane and traffic light.

I agree.

It saddens me to see the house farm where the peach farm once stood. People will tell me it is progress, but I beg to differ. Progress would have taken into account the actual needs of residents, the impact on the local roads and schools.

Look at the development on the north side of 347 just west of the Smithhaven Mall. The land sat idle for years and had trees and shrubs growing wild on it. The developers came, leveled everything and then built earthen berms which they topped with fences. The gated community features McMansions which are built one on top of the other (like Monopoly hotels crowded onto one property) looking like they belong in NYC, not Suffolk. The earth which was moved had ARSENIC in it and some of the contaminated soil blew over toward a school that the Smithtown school district had to reopen due to a huge population increase.

The only infrastructure improvement was the addition of a turning lane from the 'community' onto 347 westbound.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:51 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,557,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I agree.

It saddens me to see the house farm where the peach farm once stood. People will tell me it is progress, but I beg to differ. Progress would have taken into account the actual needs of residents, the impact on the local roads and schools.

Look at the development on the north side of 347 just west of the Smithhaven Mall. The land sat idle for years and had trees and shrubs growing wild on it. The developers came, leveled everything and then built earthen berms which they topped with fences. The gated community features McMansions which are built one on top of the other (like Monopoly hotels crowded onto one property) looking like they belong in NYC, not Suffolk. The earth which was moved had ARSENIC in it and some of the contaminated soil blew over toward a school that the Smithtown school district had to reopen due to a huge population increase.

The only infrastructure improvement was the addition of a turning lane from the 'community' onto 347 westbound.
Now the builder wants to build condos in there because the Mc Mansions are not selling. I'm sure the homehowners are happy about that! I never understood leveling a wooded buffer to build a berm to plant new trees....stupid.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:24 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,765,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Now the builder wants to build condos in there because the Mc Mansions are not selling. I'm sure the homehowners are happy about that! I never understood leveling a wooded buffer to build a berm to plant new trees....stupid.
I wondered how much it cost them to level, build up and then fence, as opposed to leveling, building a high end stone fence and leaving some of the nicer trees intact? And what is it with people and these berms? I can understand some of the ones I see on heavily trafficked roads, but there's one doofus in my neighborhood who created one about 4' high and then put little arbor vitae on top. Spring for the extra $ and buy bigger trees. His berm looks like a pile of dirt left behind by a giant broom!

The builder expects the condos to sell in this market? If I were a homeowner in there I would be livid.

Enough is enough. If the site plan were approved for McMansions, it should stay that way once construction has started. No sudden change in tack.

I remember commuting from Massapequa (SS Exit 30) to SUNY Stony Brook 26 years ago by way of the SS/SAG/NS/454/347. 347 was a pleasure then. A farm, fewer lights and far fewer cars. The trip was a hair over 40 miles and would take 35-40 mins to get to a parking spot in the South P lot on a weekday morning around 815. Now it can take me close to 25 mins to get from SUNY SB to where Yellow Top Farms once stood on 347!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
When government spends tax money to buy these properties they are also taking them off the tax roles, so we are paying for them twice.
Love the libertarian spirit but unfortunately that rationale is dead wrong if you re thinking in terms of more homes.

The most expensive thing we can shoulder as a community is the single family home.

Its far cheaper to take the land of the roles than bear the brunt of their demand on our schools and infrastructure.

Commercial can add to our rateables however once we are out of land(7-10 years) we're screwed.

Just wait till that middle class exodus as our property values and taxes skyrocket and were swimming in stagflation.

Mixed use/high density is the best option of all.

crookhaven

Old 09-05-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:

IMHO Mt Sinai Civic has failed its people immeasuarbly.

Its no surrpise that its President works for Elliman and supposedly has ties to Soundview.

Just wait till this behemoth descends.
Mount Sinai development plans in town hands: NORTHSHOREOFLONGISLAND.COM - Powered by TBR Newspapers

Good plan with the mixed use/residental but in the wake of Death by McMansion ...Mt Sinai's got issues.

Talk about the fox watching the hen house.Shame on the community for not demanding better leadership.

Thats what happens when everybodys working two jobs to meet 20k a year in property taxes.

Sad.

crookhaven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island