Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 10:56 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,812,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scammed1 View Post
Where was Mitchell Field? Wasn't that a military airport, or something to that effect. I think it was near the Nassau Community College area.
I remember, just barely remembering when I was in Elem. we went on a field trip there. One of the student's fathers worked there and we got to go on a plane, just walking through and then visiting the rest of MF.
I think I am remembering correctly; if not it makes a cute story anyway.
Mitchell Field was basically where Roosevelt Field mall and NCC are. My Dad worked there pre-WWII
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM

36 posts, read 120,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcamilla View Post
My father is the baker at Higbie Bagels, and I helped out my dad for a bit
LOVE those bagels. My sister stopped going to Bayport Bagels and was heading over to Higbie the last time I talked to her. Growing up in West Islip and going to WI High School...I remember those well. Man, I need a bagel!!!! They think they have Pizza and bagels in Texas...um...not hardly!

Old 12-08-2007, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 9,801 times
Default How about East Islip or Islip Terrace memories

I have read a bunch of these pages and have not seen too much about EI and the terrace memories.

How about the Great River Diner on sunrise hwy near connetquot ave? Is it still there?

Old 12-09-2007, 07:28 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,994 times
You know, I'm from Long Island and I don't know any of those things. That is all Nassau County stuff. When you grow up on eastern Long Island, none of that stuff applies.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:52 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
You know, I'm from Long Island and I don't know any of those things. That is all Nassau County stuff. When you grow up on eastern Long Island, none of that stuff applies.
So share some Eastern LI memories with us

Old 12-10-2007, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,787 times
Newberry's was another "Dime" store...near Gertz..
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
Thanks for mentioning Grants! Even though in my previous posts I'd recalled Woolworths, Kresges, Kress', and McCrory's, I still had this nagging feeling there was one other "dime store" I'd forgotten the name of. Of course, it was W.T. Grant's.

If I recall right, the two "big" dimestore chains on LI were Woolworths and Grants. I think McCrory's was a close third.

When did Swezey's in Patchogue close down? They had a smaller store in West Babylon which was converted to a Bed Bath & Beyond about a year or so ago. I've only been in or through Patchogue about a dozen times but do remember the lace mill; it was the huge dark brick building on the north side of Montauk Highway when coming into Patchogue Village from the west, correct? Didn't it stand empty for many many years as a result of longstanding fights over what should be done with it after it closed?

You know, it's funny how the old names can stick with a place years later. I still think of the big hospital in East Meadow as "Meadowbrook Hospital" rather than Nassau County Medical Center, and I have to think twice to keep from referring to "Salisbury Park" rather than Eisenhower Park!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,752 times
Default Mus"turd"

Mustard on a burger? AGGGHHH. I moved to N.C. The south doesn't understand Mustard is for hotdogs. katchup is for burgers. THey want to put "mustard, katchup and some foriegn mayo on everything together. They still haven't learned the word "Hellmann's".

Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Reith View Post
Mustard on a burger? AGGGHHH. I moved to N.C. The south doesn't understand Mustard is for hotdogs. katchup is for burgers. THey want to put "mustard, katchup and some foriegn mayo on everything together. They still haven't learned the word "Hellmann's".
They use mustard on burgers upstate in NY, malt vinegar on fries, too.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
New guy here. Former LIer, NBSH class of '77

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but does anybody remember the Saint James Infirmary?

Yes, I used to work there, tending bar, coat room and waitress. We all went to the Jack-in-the-box to eat before during or after work

Old 12-13-2007, 04:10 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,143,652 times
Know JITB well. The tacos and breakfast sandwiches were always a late night favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island