Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:27 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Not sure if you are Catholic but my friend is giving me a statue of St. Joseph to plant in our garden. It's supposed to help you sell your place. I really hope it works. If interested, you are supposed to bury him upside down (I feel terrible for burying him to begin with). If you sell your condo, after closing on it, you are supposed to go back and dig the statue up and put him on a pedestal.

What have I got to lose, right? LOL..
Something new I learnt today !!

Any tips for buyers to bring down the sellers price ? What if I jump into the yard of a home I am interested and plant the statue face up ? Will that work ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 AM

270 posts, read 964,882 times
I have heard of the st. joseph statue! We were going to do that but then my husband heard it doesn't work....:-(.......LOL I fell like we should do
it anyway....just like you Ligirl74...what have we got to lose....LOL
We are just dying to get a house.....:-)
Good luck to you selling your condo! I hope we both sell soon....:-)

Old 04-02-2009, 09:57 AM

544 posts, read 940,920 times
You have nothing to lose should you bury St Joseph, but you do have to have faith in St Joseph. Don't bury him like he's a superstition: i.e. knocking on wood, tossing salt. He has to be buried with faith. If you believe in St Joseph's powers, are willing to say the devotional prayerss, then by all means you should go ahead with this -- don't involve your husband.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:31 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
We did not bury a statue, but my mom, who has great faith, started a 30-day prayer for us, which I believe is to St. Joseph. She did it when we sold out house in MA(on the market less than 2 months) and when we were fighting the bank and other buyers to get the house we loved here(this time it took about 3 months, but we found out the house was ours on my 40th birthday). I do believe faith is key in the whole thing, so find someone with strong convictions to pray for you if you don't have them yourself!

Good luck - I know it is very stressful.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:16 PM

827 posts, read 3,095,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
We did not bury a statue, but my mom, who has great faith, started a 30-day prayer for us, which I believe is to St. Joseph. She did it when we sold out house in MA(on the market less than 2 months) and when we were fighting the bank and other buyers to get the house we loved here(this time it took about 3 months, but we found out the house was ours on my 40th birthday). I do believe faith is key in the whole thing, so find someone with strong convictions to pray for you if you don't have them yourself!

Good luck - I know it is very stressful.
Thanks for the info. I kind of laughed at first about burying St. Joseph but they say he is the St. of Real Estate and well, I know I pray to St. Anthony when I can't find something and he ALWAYs helps me find what I'm looking for. I have to start saying the prayer everynight for St. Joseph.

Glad to hear you were able to sell your house and get the one you wanted. It's such a tough market out there right now.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie78 View Post
I have heard of the st. joseph statue! We were going to do that but then my husband heard it doesn't work....:-(.......LOL I fell like we should do
it anyway....just like you Ligirl74...what have we got to lose....LOL
We are just dying to get a house.....:-)
Good luck to you selling your condo! I hope we both sell soon....:-)

Good luck with your condo soon. I just can't get over that we have been listed for 5 months! Our condo's used to sell within 30 days and without a realtor. Now we have 5 for sale in our development and we've each (aside from 2 condo's) have been listed for approximately 2.5 months.

Good luck and I hope you sell soon.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:18 PM

I just keep trying to tell myself it will happen when the time is right. I try not to stress out about it (very hard) But all the showings and open houses.....after a while you just get soooo done with the whole thing....LOL
The worst is when you see houses online that you like, that end up selling and you can't really look at any houses yet

Old 04-03-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie78 View Post
I just keep trying to tell myself it will happen when the time is right. I try not to stress out about it (very hard) But all the showings and open houses.....after a while you just get soooo done with the whole thing....LOL
The worst is when you see houses online that you like, that end up selling and you can't really look at any houses yet
I totally can relate. We have only had one open house since we listed which was in November. We had a lot of people making appt's to come in with their realtor so there really was no need for an open house. Besides, to be honest with you, I think open houses just really pull in the "lookers" such as you and I or people who want to get decorating tips, or even neighbors. I think this way b/c all hte houses my husband and I go to see are open houses b/c we don't want to bother our realtor with anything until we are in contract or have a solid offer. We say everyday that we wish we never purchased our condo. We brought it with the idea of being temporary, 5 years at most. This year is our 4th year living there but house prices have come down so much that you really can't resist to want to buy a house. I turned 35 this year and want so much to have a baby and a house. Our condo is just not big enough to have a family in...not even a baby. I have 3 cats and between us and the cats, it's too crowded already.

I'm starting to think maybe it's not even worth going out and looking at houses yet b/c we have no offers on our condo...I feel like it's just a lost cause right now.

Let's just hope we both get an offer real soon. I know what you mean by being depressed and frustrated...trust me... It really is disappointing.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,763,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I'm starting to think maybe it's not even worth going out and looking at houses yet b/c we have no offers on our condo...I feel like it's just a lost cause right now.
In this market I never advise anyone to look at new homes until they are pretty certain that they have a deal on the one they are selling. You'll end up falling in love with one and will not be able to buy it. Hang in there, your condo will sell eventually.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM

I know...i had looked at some houses in the begining, but now i stopped.......LOL I just see alot of houses on listingbook that i like and
would really like to look at, but can't because we have no offer on our
condo! Really sucks....:-( There are only 11 condos for sale in my development, and there are alot of condos in our developement. I just really want to sell by the end of the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island