Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:10 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The postal service gets nothing near this and our benefits are not even close to being fully funded.For a family plan I pay about $225/month plus whatever copays and the counties and federal government only pay in a limited amount for 401k.
Take a look at SCPD. That package is even more wacky.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 PM

60 posts, read 183,234 times
you all can argue back and forth all you want on the subject..but please do not forget that these men and woman will come when you call for help no matter the time of day or night. every day when they leave home they don't know if they will return. so far 41 law enforcement officers have been killed in the line of duty since jan 1.

sorry but the police bashing is getting a little crazy. please respect the people who put their life on the line for YOU.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:40 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, my name is... View Post
Police contracts are NOT public record. Post a link with the NCPD's latest contract. You are the one making allegations but refusing to back them up with facts.

FACT: NCPD gets 6 weeks vacation
FACT: NCPD gets a significant amount of "chart days"
FACT: NCPD gets more holidays off than private sector employees
FACT: NCPD banks sick time for a golden parachuse upon retirement
FACT: NCPD uses overtime to add to their salary for pension calculations
FACT: NCPD banks vacation time with no cap for a golden parachute upon retirement
FACT: NCPD straight time hours worked is approximately 1500 - if a cop takes all 6 weeks of his vacation and doesn't work any overtime or holidays, said cop is working less than a teacher.
FACT: NCPD is the biggest racket on long island

Is it fact because you put it in capital letters? No, it is not. In your case, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. For instance, cops do not "get holidays off." In fact, the uniformed cops work holidays because their schedules require it. What they do get is additional pay for working those holidays. And regarding banking "unlimited" vacation time for payout -- again, not true. There have been caps in place for years on how much vacation can be banked.

So that's only two of your so-called facts that are simply half-truths that you decided to run with. You have no credibility. You post what somebody else somewhere swears is truth. Until you can provide accurate information, it's just your opinion.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:45 AM

60 posts, read 58,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Is it fact because you put it in capital letters? No, it is not. In your case, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. For instance, cops do not "get holidays off." In fact, the uniformed cops work holidays because their schedules require it. What they do get is additional pay for working those holidays. And regarding banking "unlimited" vacation time for payout -- again, not true. There have been caps in place for years on how much vacation can be banked.

So that's only two of your so-called facts that are simply half-truths that you decided to run with. You have no credibility. You post what somebody else somewhere swears is truth. Until you can provide accurate information, it's just your opinion.
Wrong, cops paid more holidays off than just about any other profession - they may have to work those holidays, but they get time and a half in addition to the regular shift hours - essentially double time and a half. When I say the cops get the holidays, I mean they either take the holidays off or get paid an exhorbitant amount for working. The point is, most employers give employees less holidays (whether worked or not) than what the NCPD have. You are splitting hairs because you know there is no defense for these ridiculous compensation packages.

As for the vacation bank cap - that was put on very recently but the caps are so insanely high that it's basically like not having a cap in the first place! Keep defending your brothers in blue until you are blue in the face, but the fact remains we tax payers are getting hosed and giving the cops a lavish lifestyle at our own expense.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 AM

60 posts, read 58,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthewoods View Post
you all can argue back and forth all you want on the subject..but please do not forget that these men and woman will come when you call for help no matter the time of day or night. every day when they leave home they don't know if they will return. so far 41 law enforcement officers have been killed in the line of duty since jan 1.

sorry but the police bashing is getting a little crazy. please respect the people who put their life on the line for YOU.
No one is bashing the police, we are just questioning whether the market justifies their exhorbitant compensation.

Yes, they do come to help us no matter what time and all of that - that's because it's their job! It's what they are overpaid to do!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthewoods View Post

People, this is what their job is. They aren't getting paid 98K a year with night differential to coffee Klatch in the rear parking lot of BJ's. I never understand this line of discussion "yeah, you criticize the cops only until you need one."

Well, since I can't legally carry a handgun or legally beat up the guy who won't turn his stereo down in his backyard because the government says I can't, in return for suspension of those rights, we have police who are supposed to deal with these type of situations. Use your brains, folks. Seriously, how much cognitive dissonance do you have to have to believe the "don't ever criticize cops because some day you might have to call one. " We pay taxes to support their salaries, and they are given a JOB to do, albeit one where they deal with situations most of us don't, they KNOW THAT GOING IN. The lack of common sense is appalling.

There is always the inherent danger of policiing, but in all fairness, that statistics show it's more dangerous to be a convenience store clerk in Suffolk County than be a cop. I've asked the resident cop defender to post me to a link of police deaths in the line of duty in Suffolk and Nassau Ctys. The last one in Suffolk was due to a traffic accident when a cop without his signals and sirens on went through a red light and was hit by a drunk driver. Anyone on this board has an equal chance of being killed in a car crash as that cop did. Being a Suffolk County Cop, statistically, is a relatively safe profession.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:09 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,091,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The postal service gets nothing near this and our benefits are not even close to being fully funded.For a family plan I pay about $225/month plus whatever copays and the counties and federal government only pay in a limited amount for 401k.

I get your point but to put things in perspective, isn't postal employees are supported by federal govt?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:09 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,151,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I get your point but to put things in perspective, isn't postal employees are supported by federal govt?
No we're not.All the benefits of being a government employee don't pertain to the post office because we are not a true member of the federal or state government but we do get hit by the drawbacks. We have a lesser healthcare and every year the employee contribution goes up and the employer contribution goes down.If the post office became a true part of the government then the benefits would be much better. According to the way things are going right now,it probably wont be long before they step in and make us a part or at least most of us hope so.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, my name is... View Post
Wrong, cops paid more holidays off than just about any other profession - they may have to work those holidays, but they get time and a half in addition to the regular shift hours - essentially double time and a half. When I say the cops get the holidays, I mean they either take the holidays off or get paid an exhorbitant amount for working. The point is, most employers give employees less holidays (whether worked or not) than what the NCPD have. You are splitting hairs because you know there is no defense for these ridiculous compensation packages.

As for the vacation bank cap - that was put on very recently but the caps are so insanely high that it's basically like not having a cap in the first place! Keep defending your brothers in blue until you are blue in the face, but the fact remains we tax payers are getting hosed and giving the cops a lavish lifestyle at our own expense.
A bit of backpedaling, I see. You're still wrong. It's people like that you that whip up hysteria based on half-truths. Find our what the correct information is, get someone to explain to you how it is actually applied ... and then post it. By the way, the vacation cap has been in effect for more than 30 years, probably since before you were born. Unless 30 years is "very recently" to you...

Please take note that I have not defended anyone throughout all of your rants. I've simply tried to have you realize and understand that what you believe is your opinion, not a set of facts; and that you need to post accurate information. I've yet to see any.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:38 PM

60 posts, read 183,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
People, this is what their job is. They aren't getting paid 98K a year with night differential to coffee Klatch in the rear parking lot of BJ's. I never understand this line of discussion "yeah, you criticize the cops only until you need one."

Well, since I can't legally carry a handgun or legally beat up the guy who won't turn his stereo down in his backyard because the government says I can't, in return for suspension of those rights, we have police who are supposed to deal with these type of situations. Use your brains, folks. Seriously, how much cognitive dissonance do you have to have to believe the "don't ever criticize cops because some day you might have to call one. " We pay taxes to support their salaries, and they are given a JOB to do, albeit one where they deal with situations most of us don't, they KNOW THAT GOING IN. The lack of common sense is appalling.

There is always the inherent danger of policiing, but in all fairness, that statistics show it's more dangerous to be a convenience store clerk in Suffolk County than be a cop. I've asked the resident cop defender to post me to a link of police deaths in the line of duty in Suffolk and Nassau Ctys. The last one in Suffolk was due to a traffic accident when a cop without his signals and sirens on went through a red light and was hit by a drunk driver. Anyone on this board has an equal chance of being killed in a car crash as that cop did. Being a Suffolk County Cop, statistically, is a relatively safe profession.
line of duty deaths:
suffolk county: 24
nassau county:24

ny state police: 114

and as to officer ciano...his emergency lights were on at the time of the crash. he was hit by a repeat offender who used his vehicle as a weapon.

I have plenty of common sense..get your facts straight. apply for a permit for a gun if you want one so bad. as long as you dont have a criminal background, you can get one. although it is hard, but still can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island