Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the current economic meltdown, are the Police on Long Island overpaid?
Yes 68 45.33%
No 82 54.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,189,652 times

Advertisements

A few years back there was a poll that closed at 57% yay 43% nay.
Given the current agony, Im curious if Long Island sees things differently?

I think all concessions need to be on the table in terms of Civil Service, but perhaps we need our men (and women) in blue more than ever?

What say you?

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 04-26-2009 at 05:42 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 05:54 PM

60 posts, read 58,347 times
We definitely need our men and women in blue more than ever. However do they need to be paid so much more than the median household on LI? A cop gets paid like a high-level manager in a for profit, with the benefits of a 1940's union worker, the time off of a teacher, and the job security of a toiletpaper salesman --- something has got to give!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:13 PM

294 posts, read 610,637 times
When you consider all the factors involved, it's an absolute no brainer that they are overcompensated relative to virtually all other LI-based workers.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:20 PM

939 posts, read 1,846,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, my name is... View Post
We definitely need our men and women in blue more than ever. However do they need to be paid so much more than the median household on LI? A cop gets paid like a high-level manager in a for profit, with the benefits of a 1940's union worker, the time off of a teacher, and the job security of a toiletpaper salesman --- something has got to give!
Sounds like you've got an axe to grind. From your prior posts, anything you've got to say about cops is immediately suspect.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:29 PM

106,876 posts, read 109,133,761 times
anyone who makes more then me is over compensated

Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Sounds like you've got an axe to grind. From your prior posts, anything you've got to say about cops is immediately suspect.
I'm a libertarian. The NYPD is not overcompensated however. The LI cops certainly are though.

Based on your prior posts anything you say is highly suspect, officer

Old 04-26-2009, 07:08 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,583,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP Guy View Post
When you consider all the factors involved, it's an absolute no brainer that they are overcompensated relative to virtually all other LI-based workers.
No offense but a Police officer is absolutely essential in every society and in a society where its citizens have the highest taxes in the country it is a no brainer that their salary is on parity with that. You can compare an officers salary here with other populated regions and take into account their economy and taxes and it will come out pretty even. For instance take a look at the Dallas/ Ft. worth area of Texas. The average salary after a few years for your typical officer is above $60,000. Take into account that Texas Police officers do not pay into Social Security, No state taxes, and relatively low property taxes. On top of that there are so many positions open that job applications are a drop in the bucket compared to here.

That being said lets take a look at Long Island Police applicants. Anyone can apply but they are competing against approximately 30,000 applicants many with 4+ year degrees or many years of Law Enforcement experience. It isn't unusual to see NYPD Sgts, Lieutenants, detectives. secret service agents, FBI, CIA,Military Veterans, Highly trained Police officers from other departments throughout the country. Long Island Police Departments ...not just NCPD, SCPD, Or other towns and villages that pay well, have the privilege of putting these candidates through extensive background checks, Physical, Medical, psychological, Financial then those approved get to go through a 7 month extensive Police academy including (and many don't take this into consideration) An Emergency Medical Technician School (EMT's) where they get certified as first responders...and usually are the first to arrive at an emergency medical situation which is the first line of defense at saving your life.

After the Police academy they are put through a Field training program for 17 weeks where they are critiqued daily in their performance and records are continually checked and reviewed. If they don't pass, have issues, or feel that Law Enforcement isn't for them than they are weeded out.

Upon completion from FTO Training they are probationary Police Officers for 1 year. They can be fired "at will" no reason.

Last I checked Long Island was rated the safest place to live as recent as 2005
Money Magazine rates Islip, Long Island as safe place to live with affordable homes | Restaurants from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/human-resources/benefits-time-off/1020790-1.html - broken link)

you can google "long island safest place to live"

That is worth the small amount of taxes you pay toward your Police. You want that kind of competition. I don't know for sure but I think the tax breakdown is between 5-8 hundred a year for Police and a few thousand for the schools.

During these economic times crime rates go up. It is a fact. More Police officers are encountering an escalation in violent encounters. Just look at the 4 cops killed in Oakland, The ambush that took several Pittsburgh cops recently etc. There is a misconception that Long Island cops are not busy and that couldn't be further from the truth. I encourage you to look at cop per number of citizens in the population. People are comfortable with Doctors, Lawyers, Sports stars , veterinarians, etc making a decent paycheck but not guys who are willing to strap on a vest designed to catch bullets or wear a firearm to defend himself or others. Sure they chose that lifestyle but that is their calling. Defending the country, their community. You call they come whether it be the little neighborly dispute, A violent domestic, the nasty drunk, a rat in the basement, A gunshot wound to a gang member, or a roll around in the woods with a guy trying to kill you with your own firearm. Most LI Cops patrol solo.
SUSPECT SHOT IN STRUGGLE (http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/ny_local/1996/04/05/1996-04-05_suspect_shot_in_struggle.html - broken link)

Sure I wouldn't be surprised if this thread turned into a debate that continues for a few pages. We'll hear about some bad apples.People with axes to grind will voice their opinion. The guy that got a ticket, maybe had a negative encounter.A lot of people don't like cops. A lot of good citizens do however. Every occupation has their bad apples but they eventually get weeded out and hit the road.

Honestly I don't think they get paid enough. They save lives for a living. Period. They see things others would think were unconscionable.
Most places I have been the majority say the police don't get paid enough. Long Island is the only place where it is opposite but before anyone says "aha!" when I tell people who live in those places such as Texas their first response is not "wow" It is .....I can believe that with the price of real estate and taxes, seems like it evens out.

This from a place that has cops making over 60,000 and the average, newly built brick home is 130,000.

Support your local Police

Last edited by LongIslandCitizen; 04-26-2009 at 07:18 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 07:13 PM

I support law enforement I just don't support making law enforement officers wealthy, especially in this economic times. As I said before, LI cops gets paid like high-level managers in the for profit sector, have the benefits afforded to union members in the 1940's, have time off like a teacher, and the job security of a toilet paper salesman.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:32 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,583,891 times
Please allow me to add that as a Veteran of the United States Military I also strongly support any emergency workers including Firefighters, ambulance teams and anyone that saves lives for a living. When one of these heros are performing CPR on you or engaged in a firefight overseas or local I can bet no one is questioning their paycheck. Thanks

Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM

294 posts, read 610,637 times
I have plenty of family and friends in law enforcement and I support them and the duty they perform, but it doesn't change the fact that cops are waaaaaaay overpaid on LI. Sure there are those that have extensive backgrounds in law enforcement (and we do need those folks calling the shots in strategic positions), but that's complete overkill in 90% of the areas of LI. Sorry, no matter how you want to spin this, you just don't deserve a six figure salary for patroling the mean streets of Roslyn Heights and the scores of communities like that on LI. Also, while there may be a number of highly trained law officers in the NCPD and SCPD, you also have plenty of "officer buzzcuts" out there that have little or no post h.s. education credentials; with O.T. they are certainly in the vicinity of $100k+ after no more than about 5-6 years on the job.

That is utter and complete fiscal lunacy, particularly given our current economic situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island