Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:14 PM

149 posts, read 351,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Fighter View Post
It's what Newsday reported when they ran the story. Go fetch the info yourself, sparky

More insults. Keep them coming...

Yup.. Read them all. Nothing but both drivers engaged in road rage and aggressive driving for more than a mile. Then the kid made a quick right and a uturn. The guy jumped out in front of him and the kid accelerated and ran him over.

As for the kid...

Quote:
Potts was arrested in 2007 on charges of possession of burglar tools and marijuana, resisting arrest, third-degree criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.
Sounds like a sweet boy...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
This is likely irrelevant. I'm not an attorney, but I'm pretty sure a dead person's state of mind won't and can't be part of the trial, if there is one. We'll likely never know what started it.

All I've concluded is that someone who exits his car, starts kicking another person's car, and tries to physically assault that person is responsible to some degree for what happens next.

once AGAIN:

"There are way to many variables to make a determination at this point yet you have already drawn your conclusion."

I love it how you're the only one allowed to draw conclusions...lol.

He was also crazy for chasing the kid through traffic and risking innocent people's lives in the name of road rage. Also, isn't it possible the deceased jumped in front of the car at the last second? Or was on the hood of the car when Potts decided to hit the gas? I don't know about you, but to me it seems unlikely that in the middle of the whole incident, the deceased suddenly decided to suspend his assault on Potts' car, walk 10 or so feet in front of the car, and give Potts a few seconds to ponder whether or not he should hit the gas.

Sounds to me like he was trying to flee an assault.

IF he's found guilty. You keep skipping over that part! It's kind of an important detail.

I don't think anyone is making that point. I certainly don't think he deserved to die...but his actions obviously contributed towards his own death. The guy chose to turn a verbal dispute into a physical confrontation. Once he chose to make things physical, he placed himself at risk of being seriously hurt - and that's exactly what happened.
My point is that both parties seem to be at fault. While others seem to think the kid did nothing wrong. Its an opinion from both perspectives. Personally I think both will get what they deserve in the end. A bit hard? Probably. No one deserves to die, but he DID put himself in harms way.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I just think if your opinion is the kid did nothing wrong then whoevers opinion that is needs to get his head checked.... In my opinion.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 PM

240 posts, read 237,184 times
No one is saying the kid did nothing wrong. The point is the guy was the aggressor and came after the kid twice... the kid called 911 and tried to get away... the guy ran a red light and came after him. Now maybe the guy's feelings were hurt by the vicious middle finger attack, but the fact remains that if someone gives you the middle finger it does not give you the right to blow a gasket and attack someone.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
No one is saying the kid did nothing wrong. The point is the guy was the aggressor and came after the kid twice... the kid called 911 and tried to get away... the guy ran a red light and came after him. Now maybe the guy's feelings were hurt by the vicious middle finger attack, but the fact remains that if someone gives you the middle finger it does not give you the right to blow a gasket and attack someone.
You have no idea the facts of the case or what caused the guy in the Porsche to fly off the handle. Stick with the facts.

They were both exchanging in aggressive driving for 1 mile before the final altercation. You have no idea what the kid did. For all you and I know the kid started the whole thing trying to run the guy off the road. You know nothing of what led up to the final moments of this altercation. Stop trying to minimize the kids role or actions in all of this.

The kids record is not going to help his case at all either.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:39 PM

240 posts, read 237,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propain View Post
You have no idea the facts of the case or what caused the guy in the Porsche to fly off the handle. Stick with the facts.

They were both exchanging in aggressive driving for 1 mile before the final altercation. You have no idea what the kid did. For all you and I know the kid started the whole thing trying to run the guy off the road. You know nothing of what led up to the final moments of this altercation. Stop trying to minimize the kids role or actions in all of this.
I don't care if the kid whipped out "your momma" insults... after the kid drove away and the guy ran a red light to catch the kid and then boxed the kid in with his car, the guy lost all credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propain View Post
The kids record is not going to help his case at all either.
Irrelevant to the case.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:45 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
I don't care if the kid whipped out "your momma" insults... after the kid drove away and the guy ran a red light to catch the kid and then boxed the kid in with his car, the guy lost all credibility.
The lawyer will have a field day with this. Basically it will weigh heavily in favor of the kid.

Quote:
Irrelevant to the case.
In a sense yes, but the prosecution will attempt to use it. If he doesn't, get the lawyers name so that you never use him.

I'm not saying who really was in the wrong here but I'm going to guess that the kid will not get convicted of manslaughter, will not go to jail because of "self-defense", but probably have to serve some sort of community service or whatever they give out for those that don't go to jail but are not totally in the clear.

This could get ugly if both sides get their pasts drawn out.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Irrelevant to the case.

I didn’t read anywhere "The guy ran a red light" I read all the Newsday articles and didnt see anything about that statement. I guess ill check again.

A typical statutory definition of disorderly conduct, in this case Indiana's, defines the offense in this way:

A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally:
(1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;
(2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or
(3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;

Im sorry, but its absolutely relevant to the case. It shows a propensity to act up and cause fights. His record will be detrimental to his case unless the witnesses give some serious testimony in his defense.

The 911 call will also play a big role. If he is truly scared it will show on that call. If he is angrily making the call its going to be a problem for him.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:18 PM

4 posts, read 12,884 times
Default Do the police contribute to road rage in New York?

Ever been the victim of road rage and tried calling the police in New York to report it? When/if they finally show up, they will make you feel like you were responsible for it. My impression is they feel there is nothing they can do about it if they didn't actually see it and seem very bothered if someone calls in to report it, much less do anything about it. Consequently, it is no surprise that people drive so aggressively here in New York and you have situations develop such as the one between the 21-year old and the 35-year old who was killed. This appears to be another example where the victim becomes the villain and the easy target for the police. It seems to me that the frequency of road rage is escalating because aggressive drivers feel like they can get away with anything because the police don't seem to do anything about the people who are the truly the ones who commit the road rage. They simply drive away. It is apparently too much trouble for the police to do anything about it.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
A former co-worker of mine was the victim of road rage many years ago. Perhaps, some of you remember the story. He and another driver had some incident on the Northern State and the other driver pulled a gun and shot at his car killing the wife. THeir infant was unhurt in the back seat. They eventually caught the guy years later...he worked at JFK and was turned in by a fellow employee.

I wasn't working with the guy at that time but I do remember him talking about his wife. They knew each other from childhood and they were each other's one and only date in life.

Ive learned to just ignore the idiots now...no point getting into it about some perceived slight on the road.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:53 PM

324 posts, read 335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Ive learned to just ignore the idiots now...no point getting into it about some perceived slight on the road.
Wow - crazy story. You are absolutely right, the best bet is to let the idiots pass or to get away from them, life is too short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island