Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:08 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
How about:

1.) the gas station about a third of the way from East Setauket to Port Jeff ... Cardwells?

2.) the name of the bank roughly across from the now Se-Port Deli ... Tinker National Bank?

3.) the vet about halfway between East Setauket and Port Jeff ... ?

What road was the vet on?

I think that gas station's still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 11:24 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,566 times
I've heard 2 stories about Tara Inn. One, that there's a bowling alley in the basement from wayyy back in the day, and two, that there's also a secret passage down there that was used during the prohibition days to sneak booze in/out(No one seemed to know where it lead to).

Old 02-20-2015, 11:53 AM

634 posts, read 913,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
What road was the vet on?

I think that gas station's still there.
The vet was on 25A, near where the LILCO main line crosses over.

The tiny Cardwells Mobil gas station / repair shop is gone now, but was roughly across from the intersection of 25A and Van Brunt Manor road.

The vet was Josephf Arnaboldi.

http://goo.gl/dserNc - Nancy T., ever seen this book before?

Last edited by ncdust; 02-20-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 12:31 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
No, I had never seen that book before. It brought back so many memories. My Dad wrote a few articles about Strongs Neck for The Long Island Forum & he would have loved to have seen that.
Thank you so much for sharing it . If only we could go back in time , even for just an hour . . . . .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-20-2015, 01:17 PM

You're welcome - I came across it purely by accident after making my earlier today post, while taking a long shot at googling Cardwell and Setauket.

I've also dug around in the "Old Fulton NY Postcards" newspaper archive for Long Island stuff (http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html). I've yet to find an online archive of The Three Village Herald.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
The vet was on 25A, near where the LILCO main line crosses over.

The tiny Cardwells Mobil gas station / repair shop is gone now, but was roughly across from the intersection of 25A and Van Brunt Manor road.

The vet was Josephf Arnaboldi.

The Three Villages - Google Books - Nancy T., ever seen this book before?
Thanks. I think we used to take our animals to that vet.

My mistake! I remember that gas station now...was thinking of another one at a T-intersection of 25A and another street.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
... If only we could go back in time , even for just an hour . . . . .
Yep - I'd give almost anything to have a nice calm, warm summertime day on the water there. Lord, grant me a mid-day high tide, just one more time!

Old 02-20-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Yep - I'd give almost anything to have a nice calm, warm summertime day on the water there. Lord, grant me a mid-day high tide, just one more time!
Meet you on the floating dock.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:40 AM

3 posts, read 5,645 times
Quote:
Betty's Beach had a floating dock. Probably still does.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Ha! I'd be tempted to say, "Great, I'll bring the sunscreen", but we never used it in those days.

I still have some "artistic" barnacle scars.

As Nancy said, it was a great place to grow up - hope it still is, despite the high costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island