Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:38 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times

Advertisements

I researched the area and viewed homes over a 6-9 month period, I was not impressed with any area of Shirley/Mastic, I did not even entertain Mastic Beach, it was very scary to even drive through. I looked north of montauk, north of sunrise, south of sunrise, I couldn't find one neighborhood I was comfortable in...if the neighborhood was nice, the next block over wasn't, or the house 4 doors down was run-down...it was frustrating...don't get me wrong I found some nice renovated homes, some were brand new, totally renovated, but to spend 350-400k in that area in my opinion was not a wise choice for me...There are cheaper homes in the area, but probably not where you want to be...its a shame, because that is the only town along the south shore in my opinion that is bad...suffolk county speaking, it makes no sense to have a water front community so depressed...why??? I grew up in West Islip, our community was beautiful, schools were great, no crime but I guess every area has good and bad...I would suggest researching another community...I lived in Wading River the last 8 years, just moved to North Carolina....Wading River was nice...very $$$ but nice...you can still find older and smaller homes in Wading River for 350-400k, but again the taxes will be high...I moved out of Long Island...after the housing boom, over inflated prices, taxes averaging 10,000 a year, I finally said enough researching for a home, its definitely not doable here...starting focusing my energy/research on NC...and glad I did...so much to offer here...its beautiful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 07:56 PM

6 posts, read 129,443 times
These kind of things are very common around this area. maybe a week ago police arrested a 16 year old for robbing houses in the same general area

Cops nab suspect at ice cream shop
January 27, 2007

For Suffolk police, this was sweet.

Their plan to saturate Shirley with undercover officers to catch a robber responsible for a series of recent armed robberies paid off.

Officers on patrol Friday night caught Darren Branton, 44, of Shirley, as he held up an ice cream store he had hit once before, police said Saturday.

Branton was spotted behind the counter at the Carvel store at 492 William Floyd Parkway at 7:10 p.m.

From outside, it appeared Branton was ushering store employees into a back room, police said.

Police believe Branton robbed the same Carvel on Nov. 30, beginning a spate of robberies in Shirley, including three in the last two weeks, Det. Sgt. John Best said.

Police said Branton robbed two businesses on William Floyd Parkway: Flowers by Floyd Harbor on Jan. 12, and a Wendy's restaurant on Jan. 14. He also held up a Subway on Montauk Highway on Jan. 21, they said.

In response, the Seventh Precinct instituted an undercover robbery patrol of officers from various commands.

As the police moved in to arrest him Friday, Branton fled in a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer, police said. He lost control of his car on Stuart Drive about a block away from the store, striking the porch of a house and crashing into a tree during the brief pursuit. He was not injured. Police found a loaded .38 caliber handgun in his possession, Best said.

Branton was charged with five counts of first-degree robbery, five counts of first-degree criminal use of a firearm and resisting arrest.

Branton pleaded not guilty Saturday at his arraignment before Judge Steven Lotto at First District Court in Central Islip. He was held on $635,000 bail.

His next court appearance is scheduled for Thursday.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,616 times
I live in mastic beach, I'm a couple blocks away from neighborhood road and the crime is bad, a lot of drugs out here. Everyday I see someone getting arrested of searched by an undercover cop. I'm just sayin this might not be the best place to come out to.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 19,537 times
Angry Floyd HS

My two sisters and I all graduated from Floyd in the last 7 years. We all graduated in the tops of our respective classes, and went on to prestigious colleges. My sisters are still in college. I finished my BA and MA in five years and now have a career in nonprofit in Manhattan.

A large part of our success were the wonderful teachers of Floyd, and the numerous community events, as well as after school activities available.

Basically, the school is what you make of it. And for the record, Floyd ranks better overall in grades and sports teams than Longwood.

If you have kids that are slackers, they will suffer at Floyd. But if your kids are go-getters and can push through a bit extra than a normal kid, t can be a good school to go to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susansmiles View Post
Beware of the Shirley/Mastic area. If you have kids, definately don't move into that school district - check it out on the internet. This is a high crime/depressed and depressing area. Close proximity to the beach is the only plus. Move to a town close but still somewhat affordable, try to live on the north shore if possible. See if you can get a login to the Daniel Gale real estate website so you can check out housing and tax prices.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:39 PM

And I live in Manorville with McMansions and multi-million dollar houses - there have been several drug-busts and violent crimes here in the last few years. There is crime all over LI. It is not exclusive to MB and Shirley. Brentwood, CI, Hempstead, and Riverhead and much less safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2771 View Post
I live in mastic beach, I'm a couple blocks away from neighborhood road and the crime is bad, a lot of drugs out here. Everyday I see someone getting arrested of searched by an undercover cop. I'm just sayin this might not be the best place to come out to.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:42 PM

You make it sound like "middle class" and "blue collar" are bad things. They aren't. Not everyone can be a white-collar worker. Or Bill Gates. If you are that exclusive and snobby, move on along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
There are parts of north shirley that are really just middle class blue collar neighborhoods, in my opinion the closer you go to mastic the worse it gets.
Part of north shirley(also called east yapank) sometimes goes to Longwood schools which actually rank higher than William Floyd schools.
I live north of Shirley in Ridge on the Wading River border & our town is very blue collar too, nobody here hires contrctors to do anything. All of the men in my neighborhood(including my husband) are tradesmen.
Everyone has to start out somewhere, I think shirley is better than a few other places.
Are you buying or renting?

Old 04-27-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,499 times
Default Shirley

I was born and raised in Shirley, lived there from 1971 to 1986, I can tell you growing up.. the kid behind my house ob Malba drive about 1 mile from the King Kullen, that kids brother was stabbed to death at 15 years old, granted he ran with a bad older crown and it was a dispute over a stolen car, his brother used to have sex with neighborhood girls in a fort in the woods, Terry and the girls were about 12-13 years old, I was offered drugs on many occasions but my mom made me fear them so I never touched the stuff. I was robbed while waiting to go to the carnival at King Kullen and my friends were beaten up, I remember being at the carnival with Terry and his friends just got back from stabbing a bum down the street, I could see the ambulances and cops racing down the street. There were always drugs around. In 86 we moved out to Palm Bay Florida, I now live in a nice Orlando Neighborhood. I've heard from friends and family Shirley got much worse after we left. I don't doubt these middle aged homemakers don't see much, I never had any issues at home.. however kids get out and I can tell you from being a kid in Shirley it wasn't a very kid friendly place to live then.. nevermind now.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:08 PM

189 posts, read 797,290 times
It is unfortunate that today's families are either working two jobs to make ends meat, are either divorced or headed there or trying so hard to keep up with the "Jones". The quality of family life is just not a priority for many people. We try very hard with our young children to guide them to make positive choices and have the best quality of life that we can. So many of the kids in schools today are just exposed to so much negativity; alcohol, drugs, violence, etc. It doesn't matter whether you live in the best of areas, they are still going to be exposed.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:03 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalathera View Post
You make it sound like "middle class" and "blue collar" are bad things. They aren't. Not everyone can be a white-collar worker. Or Bill Gates. If you are that exclusive and snobby, move on along.
did you read my whole post or were you too busy looking to pick fights?
I went on to say I LIVE IN A BLUE COLLAR/MIDDLE CLASS AREA & I think its great.
I re-read my original post 6 times to see if it came across snotty at all & it doesn't. Why don't you re-read it yourself & let me know what you think.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,435 times
I hate to tell you all but we are more than spacklers. We are artists, lawyers, landscapers, electrician, emts, teacher (lots of teachers), local school bus drivers, realtors, business owners, police etc. The majority of us are hard working, civic minded home owners. We have the marinas, the local beaches and we have access to a bridge over to Smith Point Beach and miles of beautiful Fire Island Shoreline, a great school system where there are many students excelling in acedemics and well as in sports, a beautiful library, a golf course, an airport, Werthheim Reserve, a river that runs from the Great South Bay through Southhaven park where you can picnic and kayak, historic churches, and water front to enjoy fishing, crabbing, boating, jet skiing, wind surfing and you can see every fire work display from Moriches to Patchogue on the 4th of July. Dowling college is building a new campus here too. We have our pockets of problems, but we also have 5 civic associations that are working hard to achieve a better "Quality of Life' for the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island