Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:38 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Just got back from vacation and all I can say is - yup. Coming off the Verrazano Bridge, it's all down hill from there. Not to mention the fact that it took 90 minutes to get from the Verrazano to my house in very western Nassau...I have had enough. It was really depressing coming home.
You said it!

I refer to any of the bridges back to Long Island as the "Gates of Hell" whenever I return from a trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 11:38 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't see what people are complaining about with costs. My husband and I (no kids yet, mid/late 20s) make a middle class salary, and we still manage to save $1500-2000 a month.

Check back when you have 3 kids, when your property taxes have doubled, and oh - by the way - most of us have to save for our own retirement. That money you're saving is eventually going to be eaten up by your house. Plus, you'll always have to work. You may think now that you want that, but you won't REALLY know till you have kids. And since you're a teacher you'll be missing out on everything that happens in school for them while you're up in the South Bronx.

I do so love remembering what it was like to be 25 though. In a million years at that age I wouldn't have told someone twice my age with totally different life circumstances what they were doing wrong. I guess it's the age-old generation gap.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:39 AM

253 posts, read 808,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
You said the magic word "No kids yet". Call us back in 10 years and see if you feel the same.

People in their 20's are so clueless about the costs of raising a family here.
The addition of a child will add expenses to a household no matter what the location. How is the Island more worse?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
LI is heavily populated b/c it's a damn good place to live and everyone wants to live here. Period.

Really? I have friends all over the country and even a couple in Europe and none of them want to live here. Not the ones who grew up here and not the ones who grew up somewhere else. Who is this "everyone" of which you speak? 'Cause the only people I see posting on city-data miving here are the ones who have no choice.

I cordially invite this "everyone" that you know to post where they live now and why they wish to move here. Seriously, invite them on over.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
What areas have finite land that you are referring to?

Quote:
yeah but other places have finite land mass and proximity and still are not nearly as populated/dense as we are.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post
The addition of a child will add expenses to a household no matter what the location. How is the Island more worse?
The point is that the cost of housing and basic living here is so much more than anywhere else that there is little discretionary income left over. You must not have kids if you are asking this question. I don't even want to think about what we spend on our kids every month. Single biggest killer right now is groceries - the prices skyrocketed when the price of gas went up last summer and they never came back down. Even my mom says she can't imagine raising kids on LI right now - and she had 5 back in the day.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post
Parental expectations here are astronomically high here. If you don't provide every little extra activity, camp, enrichment activity, etc. you are considered a bad parent. Pre-school alone is double the cost what it is upstate where I grew up. Maybe this is just a North Shore thing, but it it way different than what I experienced growing up in Western New York. I don't know, I didn't have all of that and I got good grades and turned out successful. It's just so keeping up with the Joneses to me.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
LI is heavily populated b/c it's a damn good place to live and everyone wants to live here. Period.
Just admit that you couldn't afford to live decently in a place you really wanted to live (Manhattan or Brooklyn) and you are trying to justify it by saying LI is so wonderful.

LI is not "Funky", it staid, stuffy and materialistic on the North Shore and trashy, congested and crime ridden in many parts of the central and south shore areas.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:09 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
LI is not "Funky", it staid, stuffy and materialistic on the North Shore and trashy, congested and crime ridden in many parts of the central and south shore areas.
I don't think you focused on the negatives enough....lol.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
You said the magic word "No kids yet". Call us back in 10 years and see if you feel the same.

People in their 20's are so clueless about the costs of raising a family here.

Well, by the time we have kids, we'll have a lot saved and make about 170,000 combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island