Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,954 times

Advertisements

We are thinking to move to Garden City based on the commute time to the city and its good schools. The city and its people look really nice. But one thing we couldn't help notice is that there are very few minorities in the city (96%+ white). We are Asian and not religious. Do you think we will feel welcome there? I am especially concerned about my first grader at school. Will it be easy for her to make friends? Will the teacher treat her like the other kids?

I appreicate it if you could share your experience and thoughts.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:43 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,884 times
I used to teach in the Garden city Public School district. VERY NICE! The people/parents/teachers are very friendly and will surely welcome you. Do not worry. Seriously, you'll be fine. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 PM

491 posts, read 829,101 times
You would be fine as long as you dont plan on converting your house to a stucco & blond brick "bomb shelter" like a certain group has done to 1/2 of Flushing and now Little Neck.
........the truth

Example: Sanford Ave and 162nd St:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwo View Post
We are Asian and not religious. Do you think we will feel welcome there? I am especially concerned about my first grader at school. Will it be easy for her to make friends? Will the teacher treat her like the other kids?

Old 05-07-2007, 08:32 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
People in Garden City like Garden City how it is.

Last edited by GCGuy; 05-07-2007 at 08:50 PM..

Old 05-07-2007, 08:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
You would be fine as long as you dont plan on converting your house to a stucco & blond brick "bomb shelter" like a certain group has done to 1/2 of Flushing and now Little Neck.
........the truth

Example: Sanford Ave and 162nd St:

That's a tall order, my friend. I used to live in Queens and have seen the carnage. Lived there all my life, had to escape. What a debacle. you go up Northern Blvd. and don't see English, except for some national chains, from Main St. Flushing into Great Neck!!! OF course, you go more west and it's all Spanish.

Well, hold tight, Great Neck, Manhasset, Pt. Washington, Herricks, Manhasset Hills, New Hyde Park, Garden City Park, and I'm sure many more will soon be like Queens.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:45 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Why pick a place that's 96% white. Do you really like white people that much?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
That's a tall order, my friend. I used to live in Queens and have seen the carnage. Lived there all my life, had to escape.
Same here Bushwick, Ridgewood, Middle Villiage and Manhasset (Manhasset for 40 more days)
Yes Manhasset is now a multicultural nuthouse (like Great Neck) thanks to North Shore LIJ hospital bringing hords of $$ Mid Eastern people her. Some Iranian walking stops and calls my girlfriend a "whor*" for sun baithing (in a baithing suit) ....on MY lawn.

I was about to kill the guy hadnt the cops come and all ---people ask why I get so angry. They dont have to put up with this crap everyday. I work at home where as most people work in the city. The "Wall Street Sheep" dont see it, beleive it it and dont come to public referendums "oh that'l never happen" to block bad things. They dont even read or react to public notice !

To tell you the truth I rather be back in Queens, pay all these taxes for what? Not that many Asians but North Shore LIJ University hospital already destroyed the whole Town of North Hempstead (all those towns) bringing this huge wave of mid eastern people here. Yet they pay squat tax as a "University" hospital !

Last edited by Joe L; 05-08-2007 at 08:49 AM..

Old 05-08-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Why pick a place that's 96% white. Do you really like white people that much?
They "block bust" then buy the house next door, sub divide and put up multi family queens crapper's for so called "extended family".
Many are Moonies all have the same sir name who claim themselves as ministry to beat taxes and zoning. My Girlfriend worked in real estate shes discusted with the abuse of law
Gladly that crap doesnt fly in Garden City. To many White American lawyers.

Can anybody explain what's with these Asians and bland brick buildings ?

Last edited by Joe L; 05-08-2007 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 AM

266 posts, read 1,195,668 times
wow, the OP is asking in a very friendly and respectful manner about how his/her child will fit in at school... and ends up being bombarded with racist comments nothing to do with him/her or the original question. I don't understand why this is necessary. I only decided to read the post as I have visited Garden City and was interested in the answer to the question.

Way to turn a new member (referring to the OP, sixtwo) off City-Data!!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
... and ends up being bombarded with racist comments nothing to do with him/her or the original question. [/u].
....playing the "racist card"
Nothing said was racist, the FACT stated is directly related to his question and what he can expect do you want us to lie ?

Not everbody like's diversity and thats not a crime or "racist" as far as I know.
This isnt CANADA (not yet anyway) or Johnny Liu's district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island