Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,110 times

Advertisements

I worked part time after school in a Bohack in Locust Valley in the early 50s I sorted return soda bottles in the basement The manager's name was Henry.Later years I had a snack route and delivered Bohack brand potato chips to the stores in the Northport/Huntington area,thats when they finally went bankrupt and closed down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 AM

3 posts, read 11,952 times
MAIN ST. corner GREELEY .AVE
2 blocks west of Post Office
SAYVILLE, L. I.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 11,952 times
Default Nancy what is there to report, there was a bohack in sayville

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMYKAT View Post
MAIN ST. corner GREELEY .AVE
2 blocks west of Post Office
SAYVILLE, L. I.
Nancy what is there to report, there was a bohack in sayville

Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,512 times
My father worked in the 30th year until max. 1938 at Bochacks. Then my parents goes back to Germany. My father died on 4.04.1945 in the last days of the 2nd world war, so I could not ask him about the photo. It was made in front of the Bochak's grocery store in NY. Who can tell me the name of the street of this store. May be in Brooklyn, because my parents live at that time in Brooklyn. Is there anybody who knows the man on the left side ? Thank you very much indeed for help. Sorry about my bad english knowledges.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone remember Bohack village supermarkets?-ny.jpg  

Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysZ06 View Post
Yeah, I do. There was a Bohack in Manhattan where I grew up. There was also a local market called Pioneer. Remember the S&H Green Stamps along with Plaid Stamps and Blue Stamps.
I used to love when my mother got the Plaid Stamps! It was fun filling the books and trying to collect enough to get something from the catalog.

Now, D'Agostino has the plaid stamps (forget what they call them) but they print out on your receipt and you can use them to get discounts on specific items each sale week.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,707 times
On another note.... who remembers John's Bargain Store?

Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
I remember these stores. As pre-teenagers ( the early sixties ) , we would take a bus from Roslyn into Hempstead where the stores were open on Friday night and go to Woolworth's and John's Bargain Stores. Very exciting. I think there may have been one in Glen Cove also.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,799 times
Thumbs up Lindenhurst Bohack's....

Just south of Wellwood Ave. Sawdust on the floor and a 3-sided box with a handle that was the pre-cursor to the moving belt at the checkout.

John's Bargain Store just south of Wellwood across the street from Bohack's. Used to enjoy watching them make their signs. It was probably the fumes!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I used to love when my mother got the Plaid Stamps! It was fun filling the books and trying to collect enough to get something from the catalog.

Now, D'Agostino has the plaid stamps (forget what they call them) but they print out on your receipt and you can use them to get discounts on specific items each sale week.
They were called Trading Stamps. You would get a book, lick the stamp and put them in the book. When you collected enough to redeem them for something, you would bring the book to the store. All the groceries (as that's what they were called then, no such thing as supermarket) had them.

As for the OP from Germany with the picture, I would suggest posting it in the NYC forum. It's really hard to tell the location from the picture since Bohacks was a chain store for a long time. This may be of interest.
Fisher's Market

Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,521 times
Default Past Bohack;s employee

Hello, Richard,

I found your blog out of curiosity about things not around anymore.

When I was in High School, in Brooklyn, NY, I worked part time in the store located at Fulton and Jerome Streets. That was my first job in the "corporate world". I later went to college, continued to work part time at Bohack's, then enlisted in the USAF in early 1969. I never made it back to NY as a resident after my discharge in late '72.

My employment at Bohack's helped me assist in my family's income situation and to pay for my college. I never saw another Bohack's store since then.

I would appreciate knowing if this is of any interest to you, and respond, if so.

With regards,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island