Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times

Advertisements

It might end if you elect some politicos that believe in fiscal restraint and "God Forbid" limited government!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 02:57 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Your taxing will end when a billion dollar company lands its HQ here on LI.

Don't hold your breath.

LI's twin sister Manhattan has perkier boobs and nicer hair, and a lot of hot friends. Most CEO's go for her.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:28 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
The taxes will end, and the system will collapse when the liberals run out of others peoples money to spend.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:02 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The taxes will end, and the system will collapse when the liberals run out of others peoples money to spend.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but LI is mostly run by Republicans.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:21 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Your taxing will end when a billion dollar company lands its HQ here on LI.
Yep. That's why taxes are so low in Virginia. The [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulles_Technology_Corridor#Notable_companies"]list of companies[/URL] with headquarters or major regional offices along the Dulles tech corridor is impressive: AOL, AT&T, Cisco, DynCorp, a bunch of auto companies, Juniper Networks, Microsoft, Symantec, Oracle, to name a few.

JProfess noted in another thread that Canon broke ground on its new headquarters in Melville. That's good for about 2,000 jobs.

And I have it on good authority that Adecco is going to be headquartered in Melville, as well. Not sure how many jobs that will bring.

But more of that needs to happen. That's really what's going to make a difference. Cutting you-know-whats is like putting a band-aid on a stab wound. It's a gesture that would appease the masses, but in the long run, it's not going to do a whole heck of a lot. If you want lower taxes, you need commercial growth.

And I say that knowing full well that aside from Melville, the other area that would be primed for such growth would be my backyard because of the airport.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:42 PM

302 posts, read 590,750 times
But which one comes first? The lower taxes to attract businesses or businesses to lower the taxes? If I wanted to start a business somewhere, I would pick the place with most profit potential, which means more income and less expenses. Nova is just as expensive as LI and it's overpopulated as well. I suspect the teachers/cops salaries never reach $100k in VA and taxes would be lower than ours even without the companies. If taxes keep on going up the way they have been, how long will the companies stay even if a few come?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:08 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
But which one comes first? The lower taxes to attract businesses or businesses to lower the taxes? If I wanted to start a business somewhere, I would pick the place with most profit potential, which means more income and less expenses. Nova is just as expensive as LI and it's overpopulated as well. I suspect the teachers/cops salaries never reach $100k in VA and taxes would be lower than ours even without the companies. If taxes keep on going up the way they have been, how long will the companies stay even if a few come?
Neither come first- Businesses nowadays with the magic of the internet will locate to a place that's cheap and convinent for them, as well as a place where they can find hires and live well.

NoVA is in many ways the well developed commercial and residential suburb to Washington, with many of the Gov't offices especially military being in NoVA. NoVA has the quite posh urban cities of Alexandria and Arlington. NoVA has a fantastic Metro, poor traffic but the roads on an okay day can get you into DC in 30-40 minutes. NoVA has George Mason, UVA, and VA Tech.

Long Island is a sub-par developed residental suburb to New York. There is little to no major commerical business remaining here. There are no towns/cities of noteriety (save the East End which is a completely different story). We have a rip off railroad, and traffic that's so poor, generally the 40 minute trip to Manhattan takes 90 minutes and costs 5.50 each way. LI has Hofstra, C.W. Post, and NYIT.

Well, what does LI have that's a bigger plus- it's proximity to NYC is far more valuable than anyones proximity to DC, but you know what- if a business wants to be in NYC... there's plenty that's closer and cheaper, hungrier for their dollar, and willing to work with big business.

So the taxes will not end. Even if you can have your way with your massive public service cuts, taxes here will never stabalize to what other people pay- nothing will ever equate to what commercial business base can do to an area.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but LI is mostly run by Republicans.
Mostly RINOs.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:06 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Mostly RINOs.
Second that notion. Most of LI wouldn't know what "conservative" meant if it came up and bit them in the britches.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:58 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Glad I have a pizza stone at home.
Wait until the pizza stone tax....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island