Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
That is your prediction only. You have no facts to back this statement up. Methinks you only wrote it to upset the masses.
Didn't intend to upset anyone - merely stating what I see coming down the road regarding RE taxes if we have to continue supporting teachers for life along with their super-inflated salaries - a house today paying about $11K in taxes will probably top out around $20K (or come awfully close) in about 10 years, plus or minus. After all, taxes don't decrease, but only increase, at least here in NY. Some years they increase a lot. Don't forget we're losing lots of school aid. It has to be made up someplace, and the only place for now is from people's tax bills.

I'm not taking into consideration the STAR program, or challenging RE tax bills, etc., - if you win a challenge and have STAR that will get you another $900 roughly off for STAR and another $1000 off for going to court and winning. If someone can get $1900 off their yearly bill, well then, great, and that difference will hold you for a few years, but after that your taxes will be on the rise again.

My kids have been out of school for a number of years now. So we have no kids in the public schools and don't have to think about private schools anymore either. That segment of our lives is over. And we're not near retirement so we're able to pay all our bills including RE tax. So far.

But eventually we'll be senior non-working citizens (or at least not holding jobs that pay much) expected to foot a huge tax bill on very little income. Three quarters of that huge RE tax bill will still be school taxes. With no kids in the system. Then it really will be time for us to move. You can be certain that we won't sell our present house and downgrade to a smaller house with a barely-getting-by lifestyle just to raise money for RE taxes. Staying on high-tax-burden LI in our senior years in order to support the local schools makes no sense.

No, when the time comes we'll get off LI and out of NY State and move someplace more retireable and cost affordable that will give us the same lifestyle as we have today. And maybe if we're lucky it will be an even better lifestyle than we have now.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Didn't intend to upset anyone - merely stating what I see coming down the road regarding RE taxes if we have to continue supporting teachers for life along with their super-inflated salaries - a house today paying about $11K in taxes will probably top out around $20K (or come awfully close) in about 10 years, plus or minus. After all, taxes don't decrease, but only increase, at least here in NY. Some years they increase a lot. Don't forget we're losing lots of school aid. It has to be made up someplace, and the only place for now is from people's tax bills.
I don't see why this is so difficult for anyone to understand.

Unless they do understand but don't want to admit it because they are so enamored of the present system.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:24 PM

280 posts, read 247,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I don't see why this is so difficult for anyone to understand.

Unless they do understand but don't want to admit it because they are so enamored of the present system.
Because it won't happen in 10 years, it's simple math. I don't disagree with the concept but the fact is we won't get anywhere near $20k for a house currently taxed at $12k within 10 years unless the starting pay for teachers doubles, their raises are double what they are now, and the NYS pension fund loses money and needs to be funded via operations and healthcare costs continue at the same rate of increase.

Some of what I wrote may happen, but not all of it.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Because it won't happen in 10 years, it's simple math. I don't disagree with the concept but the fact is we won't get anywhere near $20k for a house currently taxed at $12k within 10 years unless the starting pay for teachers doubles, their raises are double what they are now, and the NYS pension fund loses money and needs to be funded via operations and healthcare costs continue at the same rate of increase.

Some of what I wrote may happen, but not all of it.
So you don't see an $8K jump in real estate taxes in a decade for a home currently paying $12K?

Then how come so many people (and some have mentioned it on C-D) have already experienced their real estate taxes tripling and quadrupling in a decade and you don't even see a doubling of taxes within a decade anymore?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 892 times
Thumbs down Save long island get rid of corruption

Interesting that you chose to pick on the teachers.. they are an easy target. I understand your frustration over the very high taxes that you pay on long island. But first you must open your eyes and look at other issues on hand besides teacher salaries. Let us look at the tremendous salaries of the superintendents of schools and all of the assistants and administrators that work in the offices. I am sure you read the Newsday article about the high salary of superintendents... it is crazy .. Most of them make more than the President, the US secretary of education, the governor etc.. It is a disgrace. Why do we need all of these supt. for different school districts. If we unified many of the districts we could cut out allot of the fat. It must be great to be supt. 200k per year and 200k per year retirement package.
My next target would be the Suffolk and Nassau county police departments. The police officers make allot of money and account for a huge portion of the county budgets.
Moving on to the towns and villages on longisland... I smell corruption. There is just too much government and it is costing the taxpayers ...
But then again you have a great idea... Lets fire all of the experienced teachers and replace them with teachers who are fresh out of college and have no in class experience. That is not the school I want my children going too

Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You're countering that her prediction won't come true.

So please support your "anti-prediction."

From past evidence (i.e., the rate at which property taxes have been historically and still are rising), I think her prediction is close to being on target if the current situation is allowed to fester.
Please re-read my post carefully. Nowhere does it say that her prediction won't come true. You seem to have to have the last word, even though it may be false.

Just saw your response getting me off the hook. Apology accepted. Proof of assertion...still missing. I don't expect to see it because I think there is no proof. Just an opinion.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Default Examples

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13013315-post3.html

Quote:
It's not the current taxes on my home. It's the fact that they've nearly tripled since I've lived here (12 years). And they aren't going to stop going up, and they are never going to go down. I've got no intention of retiring here and paying $15, $17, $20K in taxes. We've worked hard to save for retirement and I'm not paying it all out in taxes so some civil servant can collect a fat paycheck and never themselves have to worry about saving for retirement or who's going to pay for their health care.

When I moved into this house my taxes were just a tick under $5,000 a year. Now they are $12K and counting. They will probably be $17K in another few years. If someone can explain EXACTLY what more I am getting that I was not 12 years ago, I'd love to hear it. 'Cause I don't see it.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/13085958-post135.html

Quote:
And, Generally speaking I find that most of my kind of folk could previously afford it here but could not keep up with the astronmical rise in cost of living, particularly the property taxes, which in Nassau have quadrupled in a very short period of time, while salaries have not increased equally at the same rapid fire rate. When one year you are adjusted and comfortable with paying 2200 a year, and within 3 years you are up to paying 8200, that kinda sucks don't ya think? unless you are independantly wealthy, then it don't matter I spose. Once Nassau imposed their new assessment system my taxes on my previous house went from $1200 a year to $3500 the next year, and within 3 years were up to $5500! By then I had to sell. Screw off! I bought the house knowing I could afford a certain amount, how do you compensate or adjust to this financial raping? really? WTF? It crippled me financially at the time. And the wealthy politicians don't give a damn because at the end of the day, they still do OK. It's total BS. Really, in all honesty, people on limited or fixed incomes, how could these politicians in good conscience expect these people to compensate for this extremely large increase in monthly expenses?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/11479786-post89.html

Quote:
I don't care what the reason is for my property taxes to be unaffordable anymore.
Just make it stop. All I know is that a few years ago they were high. Now they are super high. More than I can afford really. My salary did not increase at the same rate as my property taxes. And I now work around the clock just to keep up.
My monthly tax bill is almost the same amount as my mortgage.
It's stupid and unfair.
These idiots better come up with a plan soon, do the income based property taxes or whatever, I don't care, just fix it.
What sux is that I'm stuck here, trapped with my back against the wall.
I can't sell my house and even if I could, the profit if any, wont get me into a much better financial boat at this point. I saw the writing on the wall a few years ago, and didn't go with my gut and get the hell outa NY. I stuck it out because of family.
I should have taken the money from my last house and left NY. I'd be one of the former NY'ers who post on here braggin' about the good life...heh heh...

Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
So I guess when they say the poorer school district (which still use $$$$ funding) test scores are BELOW NATIONAL AVERAGE that nation is which? Ethopia, Cuba, Rawanda?

The biggest help on LI which grades is that there are a lot of educated people living in one area. COL makes sure of that. If you look at the lower income areas you get right back into the below par test scores, 1 mile away in a nicer area you have above par. Socioeconomic status is a huge boon to testing by all accounts I have ever looked at. Educated people are more likely to ensure their children are doing their homework, studying, and get extra help if needed. To say otherwise is showing a lack of understanding on the subject.
Which districts? All comparisons I see are always with other districts in NYS.

When did I say ecomonics and family structure does not play a hugh role?

Our "bad" districts have much more services for kids than other states and districts.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:14 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
I find some of that stuff to simply be false or made up. Do you honestly believe anyone in Nassau County was paying only $1,200 in property taxes about ten years ago??

Old 05-26-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I find some of that stuff to simply be false or made up. Do you honestly believe anyone in Nassau County was paying only $1,200 in property taxes about ten years ago??
He said it was his first house. It was more than ten years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island