Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 08:35 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStarfish82 View Post
I have done these already, what else do you want me to do to make our "easy, part-time" jobs more pleasing to the public?.

Get together with the other teachers in your district and get your union to roll back the current contract to the contract that was in place 10 years ago.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:43 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Get together with the other teachers in your district and get your union to roll back the current contract to the contract that was in place 10 years ago.
And at the same time they need to make sure that the Supermarket rolls back prices to what they were 10 years ago, the gas stations roll back prices to what they were 10 years ago, the Gas & electric Co to roll back prices to what they were 10 years ago, the LL's to roll back rents to where they were 10 years ago, the colleges to roll back tuition to what it was 10 years ago, the car companies to roll back prices to what they were 10 years ago, the doctors & dentists to roll back their fees to what they were 10 years ago, the Day Care centers to roll back their charges to what they were 10 years ago, and so on & so forth.

You weren't really serious in that reply, were you?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:53 PM

213 posts, read 703,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStarfish82 View Post
OK, I have read all sorts of opinions, so very harsh and other just stating their thoughts.

I ask this, without argument or conflict:

What would you like us "horrible, overpaid" teacher to do? Should I leave my position because some people think I make to much? Should I neglect my family and say "sorry, can't do ........" because some people say that I make too much?

So I am asking honestly, what would you like me, as just a teacher, to do to make the situation better?

Frozen salary....check
Loss of money because of cut programs and positions....check

I have done these already, what else do you want me to do to make our "easy, part-time" jobs more pleasing to the public? And I am ONLY a teacher, not an administrator, member of the board, etc...I cannot change the budget and make those important decisions!

Please don't take this as sarcastic, I'm not trying to be, only laying out some facts and genuine questions. And please don't respond nastily, I really do want to know what your thoughts are without the bashing we are accustomed to.

It's not what I would like you to do rather it's what you need to do.

Pension and health care cost are spiraling higher and beyond the control of any school district. All school district employees need to begin contributing an amount comparable to private sector towards these
benefits.

You are guarenteed health benefits for life after retirement as early as 55 and you need to start paying for this perk. Also taxpayer funded pensions need to go away. Employees need to buy into a plan similar to private sector. Every year the state mandates district contributions to the NYS retirement fund at %'s that are simply not sustainable without cutting programs.

As a parent I can not accept cutting programs or curriculum because my district needs to pay for these benefits. It's not fair to my children AND at some point there will be nothing left to cut but pension and health cost will still be there.

Your salary is not really an issue with me. You are well edecated and deserve to be compensated for that. $125,000 after 30 years is not unreasonable IMO.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy123 View Post
It's not what I would like you to do rather it's what you need to do.

Pension and health care cost are spiraling higher and beyond the control of any school district. All school district employees need to begin contributing an amount comparable to private sector towards these
benefits.

You are guarenteed health benefits for life after retirement as early as 55 and you need to start paying for this perk. Also taxpayer funded pensions need to go away. Employees need to buy into a plan similar to private sector. Every year the state mandates district contributions to the NYS retirement fund at %'s that are simply not sustainable without cutting programs.

As a parent I can not accept cutting programs or curriculum because my district needs to pay for these benefits. It's not fair to my children AND at some point there will be nothing left to cut but pension and health cost will still be there.

Your salary is not really an issue with me. You are well edecated and deserve to be compensated for that. $125,000 after 30 years is not unreasonable IMO.

CONGRATULATIONS!
A well-reasoned & rational explanation expressing your views about one reason for the high costs of education on Long Island.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Once again, Andrea tells it like it is!

Yet who gets a job? Not the people like this, many of whom are probably very well qualified, because they don't have a "connection."

Charlotte's over 40 husband (and those like him with "connections") who probably failed in the private sector (compared to how he's doing teaching kindergarten) is the one who gets a job!

Yes, here's the tradition of hiring the best and the brightest at work in LI's school districts! That's what we're paying a PREMIUM for, no? What a complete and utter joke! There is absolutely no MERITOCRACY. It's all about grabbing onto a union's teat, keep on sucking, and drag your family onto the next empty teat available.
Paul is now about 56 years old, and you hit it accurately - he did fail in the private sector - no money, moved in with Charlotte, etc. And she absolutely got him his job.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,730 times
Just think of where teachers' salaries will be 5 - 10 years from now - some of them will be making around $200K+, the younger teachers will have much higher salaries than now and then base their pensions on that. Wow. Salaries are increasing exponentially from year to year. Meanwhile, the rest of us non-teachers will still be making salaries in the neighborhood of $60 - 80K if we're lucky and if there are jobs out there for us. And it will be the poor(er) taxpayer carrying these way overpaid and over-compensated teachers. Until us non-teachers are so poor that we can't carry them anymore.

Perhaps things will come to a head when most people won't be able to pay their RE taxes since the taxes will have to increase enormously in order to carry the teachers and their forever increasing salaries and pensions.

Eventually this teacher union pyramid scheme will have to come to an end one way or another.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,812 times
You are guarenteed health benefits for life after retirement as early as 55
I retired at age 55 and the district secured my health benefits for 10 years in my buy out deal. I did not want to retire so early, but the district made me an offer thet I could not refuse. At age 65, health insurance is covered by Medicare, just like in the private sector.

Salaries are increasing exponentially from year to year

Demonstrably untrue. Salary increases are not exponential, that would be catastrophic. Even if they were (they are not) the district allows all of our benefits, hours, days worked, etc. So ranting on the teachers is sort of like a misplaced frustration. You seem to want to blame teachers for accepting packages negotiated by the district. Perhaps your frustrations should be vented to the district, and not the teachers. Just saying.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:31 PM

239 posts, read 612,550 times
Default Teachers are people too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
You are guarenteed health benefits for life after retirement as early as 55
I retired at age 55 and the district secured my health benefits for 10 years in my buy out deal. I did not want to retire so early, but the district made me an offer thet I could not refuse. At age 65, health insurance is covered by Medicare, just like in the private sector.

Salaries are increasing exponentially from year to year

Demonstrably untrue. Salary increases are not exponential, that would be catastrophic. Even if they were (they are not) the district allows all of our benefits, hours, days worked, etc. So ranting on the teachers is sort of like a misplaced frustration. You seem to want to blame teachers for accepting packages negotiated by the district. Perhaps your frustrations should be vented to the district, and not the teachers. Just saying.
So true. This is very much misdirected anger. Community members have far more a say in what teachers make than the teachers who work in those communities.
In my district, union meetings are held right after regular faculty meetings. Most teachers do not stay for these meetings. Those who do (including myself) witness a very quick update as to the state of affairs in the building, listen to (or participate in) some griping, and then the meeting is over. I have never been present for a meeting in which pay and/or benefits were discussed. To teachers, those are sort of status quo (I know, I know-- herein lies the rub), but it's not like we're actively making demands or intentionally causing perceived harm to tax payers. I'm sure there would be an outcry if benefits or salaries were cut, especially if salaries reverted to those of ten years ago as someone suggested, but I think that such outcry would happen in any profession.
We're teachers, not politicians. We don't make the decisions. The cruel and unfounded generalizations about teachers being greedy, stupid, lazy, etc. are unfair. We work with kids, for Pete's sake. We're not villains!

Old 05-22-2010, 06:33 AM

577 posts, read 979,740 times
RE: Your salary is not really an issue with me. You are well edecated and deserve to be compensated for that. $125,000 after 30 years is not unreasonable IMO.

Really! I think 125K for working about 160 days is outrageous and a gouging of the taxpayers. Its people like you that don't see this as a problem that has created this problem!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:37 AM

213 posts, read 703,252 times
I have never been present for a meeting in which pay and/or benefits were discussed. To teachers, those are sort of status quo (I know, I know-- herein lies the rub), but it's not like we're actively making demands or intentionally causing perceived harm to taxpayers.

Let's talk about job actions, black t shirts, endorsing candidates that are pro union, using HS students to further your agenda or telling an elementary school child about what they lose if a budget fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island