Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,735 times

Advertisements

This is the house I grew up in, I always wanted to show it to the LA people: http://mapof.it/4420 13th way ne, st. petersburg, fl
Boating was a big activity in our family, we must have had 9 different boats. There is also a screened in pool in the back that I spent a lot of time in. That was my whole world when I was little. But you know where I'd rather live now? The San Fernando Valley. The valley has a hardcore feel to it, even though it's suburbia. I'm like a wildcat that needs a concrete jungle to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I guess some people can just nail it on the head with their interpretations of both Florida and California. I didn't know that we did not have a boating community out here in California. Guess I will need to sell the boat. And all those homes in Ventura and Oxnard in Ventura County that have boat docks must not exist either. Also I seem to remember being in Orange County and noticed the same thing, homes with boat docks in our small version of an intercoastal waterway. Guess that those don't exist either. Doesn't San Diego have a similar set up? Maybe it all doesn't exist and I was secretly transported to Florida. Here in Ventura County alone we have Oxnard Harbor with miles of boat docks in 2 channels seperated by a small peninsula. That water way heads in further for a portion of the city that includes homes and condos with their own boat docks. Ventura has a similar set up. But then I guess that doesn't exist because we don't have a boating community as has been suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:16 PM

14 posts, read 40,891 times
Default Cool thread info so far

I'm checking out LA-based Catalina Island, Lovers Cove area for snorkeling. Also, fantasizing about running out of Miami to the Bahamas via extra gas in something like one of these:

YouTube - Boston Whaler Introduces 3 new Outrages!

I'll be hitting the boat show(s) asap! Andros snorkel / dive. Man.

Any idea on pirates trolling off Miami? More in the Gulf? I'd plan to carry stainless steel heat that was allowed.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 AM

77 posts, read 89,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveMerchant View Post
Folks, I'm thinking of a move to the LA area, get involved in the music scene, work a day job, hit the beach, and later maybe ski/bike around Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead. My friend from the midwest just trucked his parents to Bradenton, FL and he's starting to talk up Fort Meyers. I like to snorkel, loved the Keys when I was there. LA has better surf, but colder water, not to mention larger sharks! Any thoughts on FL vs. LA? I could see getting a cheap boat in FL to snorkel off, for LA I wouldn't want to mess with the boat where the White sharks are larger than the craft I'd be on. My bud may move to LA in a year or two, but wants to start in FL.
I am not a fan of Florida Beaches because the girls there mostly have Miami Boobs .

Miami boobs are fake boobs or plastic surgery gone wrong aka Miami Boobs.

I met a few girls in Miami I get really turned off by Miami boobs

Correct me if i am wrong but there are more shark attacks in Miami than anywhere else in the US?

Old 06-22-2010, 05:59 AM

25 posts, read 131,938 times
I am from the Tampa Bay area and have grown up on the west coast beaches. I agree that FL beaches are nice, in appearance. However, you have to take into count the humidity FL gets. It is horrible during the summer. Sometimes it is well over 100 with a very high humidity. This heat makes going to the beach horrible. Especially when there is no breeze. Also, the water temperature sometimes feels like bath water, which does not help when you want to cool off.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,762,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Those California beaches are definitely pretty, but they could never compare to Florida's:

In my opinion, SoCal's beaches are WAY too built-up - they make Florida's beaches look like paradise. And yes, I've been to beaches all over FL and CA.
In your opinion. Honestly those FL beaches look dreadfully boring to me. I would rather just go to a pool if I wanted calm water like that. I never understood why people from the east coast and gulf were so afraid of water temps in the 60's/70's. Honestly it is cold until you jump in. You get used to it very fast. Also, nowhere in the continental U.S. can you get better waves than in California. This is all my opinion of course.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:16 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
In your opinion. Honestly those FL beaches look dreadfully boring to me. I would rather just go to a pool if I wanted calm water like that. I never understood why people from the east coast and gulf were so afraid of water temps in the 60's/70's. Honestly it is cold until you jump in. You get used to it very fast. Also, nowhere in the continental U.S. can you get better waves than in California. This is all my opinion of course.
I agree. Also, SoCal beaches are very clean compared to those. never been to Florida but have friends who have and have seen pics of the beaches so I'm basing that judgement of that. The only thing I would think is better with Florida beaches is the water is warmer.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:45 PM

^Agreed

Old 07-23-2010, 11:35 AM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
I agree. Also, SoCal beaches are very clean compared to those. never been to Florida but have friends who have and have seen pics of the beaches so I'm basing that judgement of that. The only thing I would think is better with Florida beaches is the water is warmer.

I give FLa the edge in water temps, water color (in places like the Keys), and the white sandy beaches (in places like So.Beach, Destin).

No doubt that SoCalif. wins on surf and scenic coastal views (like Malibu, La Jolla, Laguna, etc). It's not even a contest.....

Old 07-23-2010, 03:49 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveMerchant View Post
Folks, I'm thinking of a move to the LA area, get involved in the music scene, work a day job, hit the beach, and later maybe ski/bike around Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead. My friend from the midwest just trucked his parents to Bradenton, FL and he's starting to talk up Fort Meyers. I like to snorkel, loved the Keys when I was there. LA has better surf, but colder water, not to mention larger sharks! Any thoughts on FL vs. LA? I could see getting a cheap boat in FL to snorkel off, for LA I wouldn't want to mess with the boat where the White sharks are larger than the craft I'd be on. My bud may move to LA in a year or two, but wants to start in FL.
Florida beaches are facing east on the Atlantic side. California beaches are facing west. That takes some getting used to if you've never experienced one or the other. For pure fun and relaxation, I think I prefer Florida beaches. The water is warm. The sand is white. It's just hotter, humid, and inviting year round. Beaches in CA can be cold, especially the ones up north--I wouldn't even think about getting into the water up there. However the Pacific Ocean is much more vast, scenic, and intellecutally stimulating due to the variety of marine life and topography. When all is said and done, it's the largest body of water on the planet--unrivaled anywhere on Earth.

Last edited by Jay100; 07-23-2010 at 04:02 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 05:17 PM

Does anybody else think it's a little unfair to be comparing L.A.'s beaches to Florida's 580 miles of coastline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles